Foreseeable Poser Requirement Specs

• I might be getting a new computer, but I want it to be able to handle whatever Poser's next iteration throws at me, and not just be minimal requirements, but optimal use of Poser Pro (maybe more if need be), so what kind of computer memory, ram, and above minimal specifications might I need for the next Poser?
    I need actual hard numbers for what's coming.

• @nakedfunn_ That is quite simple...just buy a computer with as much power as you can spend money on...there you have it :)
    No, just kidding.
    I would suspect that there will be not much of a difference between the specs for pp11 to what ever SM will call the next version.
    You will have to have multiple cores and 16 to 24 GB Ram, but i also think, the GPU will become the focus for buying new hardware.
    I started collecting money for a new nvidia graphic card, maybe a 2050 or 2070...somewhat about 600€ or more, for upgrading my desktop pc, a 7 year old i7 extrem with 16GB ram.
    For my Lenovo Y50-70 Notebook 15,6" Full HD / 16GB / Core i7-4710HQ / 256GB SSD / Geforce GTX 860M there is nothing i can change for the better. Maybe i get another, newer version, but there is no need to hurry. He will do, i am sure.

• @marco
    I am making a list, and this is quite helpful. Thank you.

• I think it depends on what you're going to be doing with Poser. If it's small scenes with not much going on, you can save a lot of money by going for midrange hardware like a 4+ core CPU, 16GB+ and a 1060 6GB - 1070 for CUDA rendering.

If you want to do more intense scenes with lots of props and figures, you're going to need a much beefier rendering pipeline. Since you're using Poser Pro you're going to be using CUDA to render which means the CPU isn't as important for render speed as the graphics card you'll be using. I'd say you should take a look at anything with 8GB+, so the 1070/1070ti/1080/1080ti/2070/2080/2080ti. The new 20XX series looks like it's much faster than Pascal at CUDA rendering, so maybe just skip the 10XX series and go for the new cards.

I'd also urge you to consider having a secondary card just for CUDA rendering along side the main card. It can cut your render time in half and if you're a gamer, you can set the secondary card for renders and play games while your primary card is free.

As for RAM, you really don't want to have anything less than 16GB, I have 32GB and if I'm working on a large scene it can take up at least 20%+ of my system RAM very easily. I'm also a multi program person, so I have a lot of large RAM eating programs or games running at the same time, you may not be like that and not have that problem. But the more ram is usually better for everything.

Also, don't skimp on the hard drive, large poser files 800MB+ can be annoyingly slow to load even on a fast HDD and constantly saving a file with small changes can make waiting for it to save feel agonizingly slow.

• Be cautious about the new nvidea rtx 20 series cards. When they first came out blender didn't work for them for gpu rendering, I don't know if this has since been fixed, but since there have been no poser updates since then' and superfly is based on cycles I would get confirmation poser could render using them before buying.

• The only thing keeping from upgrading from 1070ti to 2070 2080 is that haven't heard if the RTX cards really improve Poser rendering. Are there any first hand accounts of the new cards in action?

• @johndoe641 I want to do big scenes quality renders with lots of characters, and props with no slow downs, but still not having to spend over a grand for a computer. I'm thinking there's a way to get something with the kind of GPU handling Poser needs but not having to spend over $1k.
    Thanks. I just wanted to gather different opinions as I make a list, and do the search.
    I'm kind of on the fence with it comes to processing with Intel versus AMD, but based on my experience AMD has almost always done better than I expected.
    It's been awhile since I kept up with this, and it's a matter of getting my brain in the frame of mind.

• @j-naylor73 Good to know. Thanks.

• Poser Ambassadors

Like most people said above, the GPU is becoming more important than the CPU nowadays because that's where 3D rendering happens these days. Firefly still uses CPU, but Superfly can use GPU if you have a decent one. I am still using an older GTX 980 ti, which is now 3 generations behind the current, but it does a pretty good job. People say the 1080 ti is 40% faster, and the RTX cards are 40% faster on top of the 1080 ti.

The thing is that flagship GPUs like that will take about half or more from your 1K budget. An RTX 2080 ti alone costs $1200, which is out of the question for most of us. There is a good chance the RTX will eventually become the new standard for GPU performance, but at this cost, it's best to wait for the next couple of releases so prices go down.

For the time being, a GTX 1080 ti is the sure thing - you can't go wrong with that. The vast majority of current software will NOT benefit from what makes the RTX cards great, and will take years until that changes. Of all things, Poser is NOT likely to benefit from the RTX Tensor cores and their real-time raytracing anytime soon. This may cause most people to seek for the older GTX 1080 ti, which means they may not become cheaper for as long as the RTX keep costing a small fortune.

However, you can greatly benefit from many cores in your new CPU. Mine has 6, or 12 with Hyperthreading, and Poser benefits from this. You can render faster with Firefly, and parts of the interface are multi-threaded. Even posing figures in Poser is multi-threaded, so get a CPU with many cores - at least 4, though 6 has become common nowadays.

Get at least 16GB RAM, because all 3D applications need lots of it, and Poser is no exception. The bigger the scene, or the more textures you load, the more RAM you will need.

I think those are the most important things.

• If you are going to be using superfly, rendering with gpu will be much faster, my gtx 1080 (not ti) is about 20-25% faster than my 14 core, 28 thread processor rendering same scene with identical render settings other than bucket size. (Although you might improve cpu time by using branched path tracing with fewer samples and get similar quality.)

• RTXs aren’t 40% faster than the 10 series.

• If you want big scenes, you have to spend money. You will need cores and ram. That isn’t cheap.

• Poser Ambassadors

@ssgbryan said in Foreseeable Poser Requirement Specs:

RTXs aren’t 40% faster than the 10 series.

That depends on what you are doing. Some tests show very little improvement, others are all but twice as fast.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2080-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti/4027vs3918