Saving morph poses?

• I'm still trying to figure out how to save morphs or at least dial spins as a pose preset. I get these dialog boxes.
    0_1540416859295_Pose Save Dialog.jpg
    I can't seem to find where it is in the manual that tells me what these check boxes do. At the very least I'd like to be able to save my dial spins even if that means having to load all the morphs the figure has before I load my pose. I don't want it saving the pose (joint rotations?) along with my dial spin save.

• In PP11 it's File>Export>Morph Injection which will save a morph pose file for you.

Be sure you turn on Use Binary Morphs in the preferences menu first.

• @ghostship you're not missing anything. The current Poser 11 manual gives no explanation, merely an unexplained reference on page 179 in "Saving Scenes to the Library", to "5. Check the Include Custom Dial Palettes or Include Graphs options as applicable."

On page 182, the "Body Transformations" are mentioned but never explained in detail.

From my experience, the only library saves which will include all dial settings are saving a figure CR2 or a scene PZ3 (or their compressed equivalents CRZ and PZZ) These both include scale parameters, which saving ordinary PZ2 poses never does.

The "Include Graphs" checkbox will save the details of which parameter was selected and the size and position of any Graph palettes that are visible when the save occurs. When the pose is applied from the library, the Graphs will be re-opened (assuming that the actor whose parameter was displayed on saving currently exists in the scene).

"Morph Channels", when checked, will save (as an addition to any unhidden translation and rotation channels, which are all that is saved when unchecked) all unhidden value parameters, morph targets, deformer prop channels and shader node channels for non-root (i.e. not the BODY) actors and props (including deformers) on a figure. Body part scales do not get saved (for hysterical reasons).

"Body transformation", when checked, will save all the value parameters, morph targets, shader node channels, translations and rotations that are unhidden on the BODY actor, which is ignored if unchecked.

The check-boxes also don't play well with AnimSets (choosable if you click "Select Subset" in the first dialog), ignoring any parameter selections the AnimSet may specify, and instead just using which actors the AnimSet includes to cull the list of what's saved in the pose. I have had discussions with @h-elwood-gilliland about AnimSets and how they could be better supported and work more seamlessly with pose saving, so we'll see if that gets addressed in the next maintenance release, or has to wait for a major version upgrade.

The above options only relate to saving the dial values in a pose. For saving the actual morph target deltas in a form that can be applied as a pose, @Glitterati3D 's answer is what you need. There are another couple of options for saving new morph targets you've created, but they require a bit more work to apply or re-use: Save the figure or prop to the library, and then manually copy the morph deltas in a text editor (I think a couple of folks have written utilities which can do this painlessly for you, but they didn't work on macOS at the time, or were expensive, so I've never used them - YMMV). The other option is to export the morph target as a wavefront OBJ file, which can then be re-imported on another figure or prop of the same geometry.

• @glitterati3d Thanks! I'm assuming I can switch back to BMT unchecked when I'm done?

@anomalaus Thanks for the detailed explanation of that. You would think that the manual should have this info in it.

• @ghostship you might ask @Deecey about that. I suspect the answer would be too much information and too little time to distill and make it all comprehensible at release. Another factor to weigh might be that the Beta testers aren't likely to highlight information gaps, since they're already very familiar with the franchise and it's history.

I've done my share of writing documentation for product acceptance testing and releases, knowing that, in most cases, procedural checklists don't need to include detailed analysis of expected results. It's only when expectations are at odds with what has been implemented that one can even ask questions about why things were done a certain way. Such questions can only come from those who haven't been part of the design and implementation team, since they've already been to all the planning and design meetings and know what was intended.

@ghostship things like this are probably worth a documentation feature request, explaining why a novice would have no idea what to expect, but an expert would still like to know what the consequences will be without having to "suck it and see".

• Poser Ambassadors

Try this.

Scripts menu, Partners, Netherworks, +Posewriter Panel

• @ghostship Yes, you should! I always have Use Binary Morphs off unless I am writing an Injection file.