Failing at Perspective

• This is a video of me failing at perspective. I've been watching videos on youtube, but I just can't seem to get a grasp of it. I know the basics of perspective, but I can't apply if for some reason. It's frustrating to me.

• This time I took a photo of my room, and roughed it in in CSP. Still can't get the lines to work right.

• Here's what's happening with a cube in perspective. Below are two images of a cube. The first image is a one point perspective. In this perspective only one side of the cube is visible to the viewer. The cube is 90 degrees to the viewer. In the second image the cube is turned to reveal two sides. The degree of the two vanishing points must come to 90 degrees for the object to appear square.
    0_1540847167467_perspective 1.jpg

If you're eyeballing it, you might end up with something that's supposed to be a cube but doesn't appear so and your perspective looks off.

0_1540847340453_perspective 3.jpg

There are two ways to get the perspective right. Use a picture with the same perspective you're looking for and use the rulers to line up your perspective. Or use a cube 3D object and move it to get the perspective you want and then use the perspective ruler that comes with the layer.

• This post is deleted!

• In your second video, you used a picture of your room to rough in the perspective. With something like this, don't worry that the lines of the ruler don't match up with your rough drawing. Just trust in the ruler and plow ahead.

0_1540859249870_room.png

• Yeah I guess what's getting me is when I try to draw a line a certain direction, but it snaps to another direction completely. Like several times I'm trying to do a diagonal, but it goes up, or to the side instead.

• @treed the first thing that struck me from your initial rough outline, was that the ruled horizon doesn't match the position of the horizon evident in the bottom of the top drawers or top of the second drawer, which are approximately horizontal. Those sketch lines really do show you where the horizon or eye height line should be. Adjusting that will give better correspondence with the perspective/vanishing lines, which you've attempted to align at the top of the chest of drawers, but feel betrayed by at the bottom.

In other words, exactly what @garlam has illustrated in the post above. :-)

• @treed said in Failing at Perspective:

Yeah I guess what's getting me is when I try to draw a line a certain direction, but it snaps to another direction completely. Like several times I'm trying to do a diagonal, but it goes up, or to the side instead.

While drawing, hold down CTRL and click onto the ruler. Find the diamond on the vanishing points you don't want to use and click them leaving the point you want to use purple (the others will go green). When you're ready to draw in the other vanishing point again, click the diamonds and make them active (purple).

• Ah, I knew about that, but hadn't really tried it yet. I'll see if that helps.