Rendering cpu usage setting

• @momogun said in Rendering cpu usage setting:

@jura11 This really help jura11, Thanks . How you make the 8700k run in 5ghz, i saw the spec only 3.7 - 4.7 ghz. Overclock or this is just normal boost speed for 8700k? What motherboard you use to push 8700k to 5.2GHZ clock speed?

Hi there

Both of these CPU has been OC'ed,on 8700k we are used Asus Maximus X Formula and on 9900k we are used Maximus XI Formula

Normal boost for 8700k is 4.7GHz, only 8086k have higher boost at 5.0GHz with good motherboard you should be able push beyond 5.1GHz, only one limitation is cooling and voltage,have run NH-D15 with 8700k at 5.1GHz and temperatures hasn't been bad at all but that's on delidded 8700k,without the delidding temperatures at 5.0GHz has been on high side

Both 8700k and 9900k has been cooled by custom water loop

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

• Guys! I have another problem with this cpu usage during rendering. Rendering using queue manager, poser only use 47% of the cpu. Foreground and background rendering, poser use 57%. Any idea how to fix this. I want poser use more of the cpu for fast rendering.

• @bagginsbill I figure it out. 47% cpu usage mean poser use 32 of 80 threads. 57% mean poser use 40 of 80 threads. The second socket of the processor never use by poser during rendering. I found out after doing rendering with single processor ( 1 processor removed from socket) and compare the rendering using dual processor. With this info, Hope you guys can help more how to fix it.

• I still wonder if Poser has a 32 thread cap in the main code tree.
    Without knowing the stack reserve of the complier, its a guessing game.

I re read most of this thread and did not see if you answered if any program can use all the threads at once on the system either. Because if no program can, it may not be the same cause as to why Poser cant.

• @shvrdavid My processors is dual xeon gold 6138. Rendering in Blender 2.79 CPU usage is 100%. Blender can use all the available threads. This picture show you how fast xeon gold 6138 (dual) compare to others processor. Xeon Glod 6138 X 2 = 40 core, 80 threads.
    0_1543034474376_embed.png

• @momogun This Picture taken from the link shared by vilters

• Well, if Blender is using all of the threads I can only assume that Poser does not have a large enough stack reserve in the compiler to support more than 32 threads.

Might be a good idea to submit a ticket to SM to see if that is the case.

• Any update about this issue? i would like to ask Since poser will be sell to other company soon.

Any update about this issue? i would like to ask Since poser will be sell to other company soon.

Where are you getting the idea Smith Micro is selling Poser to another company???? Curious minds would definitely like to know!!!!

• @momogun Did you submit a ticket on it?

• @miss-b OMG .!! I sorry . i tought poser will closed soon since the CP Paradise no longer exist.. Wow that good news!!

• @shvrdavid what ticket ?. Sorry i don't know what you mean.

• @momogun Pretty sure they closed CP only because they wanted to focus on product development and not on online store systems ;) most CP vendors took their stores to Renderosity, as far as I know.

@miss-b OMG .!! I sorry . i tought poser will closed soon since the CP Paradise no longer exist.. Wow that good news!!

Ahh, OK. Smith Micro develops several software applications, not just Poser, and that's what it will continue to do. They inherited the Content Paradise store, and it's products, when they purchased the Poser software from eFrontier, who originally created the store to go with Poser when they owned it.

• Poser Ambassadors

@momogun said in Rendering cpu usage setting:

Any update about this issue? i would like to ask Since poser will be sell to other company soon.

If Poser gets sold, my figures will go on Strike.
    Who is going to brew my morning coffee then?
    0_1560375696665_Strike.png

See? She is already warming up and does not look too pleased with that info. LOL.

Poser11Pro, textured construct, STOP prop from Poser, the figure was mine. " Till she read the above".
    Grrrrrrrr

• @momogun

Go to this address.
    Smith Micro Support

You may have to create a new account, then add a ticket explaining the core issue you are having.

Core count that a program uses is hard coded into it, that is called "Stack reserve" in the assembler. Sometimes that is easy to expand on (add usable cores), sometimes not.

A lot of it depends on the entire code set for the program.

If you are curious, here is a break down on the settings that an assembler can use for that.

Stack Allocation

Obviously there is a lot more to this than simply just making the stack allocation larger, etc. But this is the basis on reserving memory for doing so.
    It is rarely as simple as changing a few settings, and then you can use more cores. It is a bit more complex than that.

• @shvrdavid thanks .