Poser Pro 11

• I run a Forensic Unit at a local DA's office in Boston. Poser Pro 11 is new to the unit, but we are being asked to try to produce 3D figures that display projectiles (bullets that have entered and exit the body, trajectory, that the medical examiner can testify to...... and I was further asked if the torso skin could be lifted to show the underlying skeletal structure and internal organs.... can Poser Pro 11 be used to perform the requirements of this request ?

Many thanks,

John Green

• @jmgreen said in Poser Pro 11:

I run a Forensic Unit at a local DA's office in Boston. Poser Pro 11 is new to the unit, but we are being asked to try to produce 3D figures that display projectiles (bullets that have entered and exit the body, trajectory, that the medical examiner can testify to...... and I was further asked if the torso skin could be lifted to show the underlying skeletal structure and internal organs.... can Poser Pro 11 be used to perform the requirements of this request ?

Many thanks,

John Green

you can't "lift" the skin. That would require editing the mesh in a modeling program such as Blender or Maya. What you want to do is make the parts of the skin transparent and be using a model that has a corresponding skeleton model that works with it. Daz makes a few Here is one:

http://www.daz3d.com/anatomy-4-pro-bundle

• @jmgreen keep in mind that you would also need the gen 4 models (Victoria 4 and Michael 4) as well

• @jmgreen actually that bundle has everything you need.

• Thanks for the quick response. DAZ looks like a promising software.... Do the figures you create able to bend in a sitting position, such as sitting in a vehicle ? they could be in a sitting position and rotated to show trajectory lines of the bullet path ?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is new to our unit, and looks like something we should have for a lot of our cases,
    it is very demonstrative for the jury.

• @jmgreen The figures that I linked to can be used in Poser and can be posed in any way you want. Poser Pro also has measurement tools that should be able to be used for forensics.

0_1479693184857_measurement.jpg

• Poser Ambassadors

P11Pro comes with skeletons to fit within the included Ryan and Alyson doll chassis. C:\Users\Public\Documents\Poser 11 Content\Runtime\Libraries\Character\Additional Figures\Skeletons

P11Pro also comes with male and female skeleton and musculature figures. No organs, though.
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\Poser 11 Content\Runtime\Libraries\Character\Anatomy

Options to get organs would be Zygote (thousands of dollars - they make professional medical models), or pay a modeler to make organs for Ryan and Alyson.

Lifting a flap of skin at any arbitrary size/location would require modeling/rigging/dynamics expertise and would have to be custom made for each case. You could easily see through the skin by using transparency or refraction ("ghost" effect), and that would work for any case. I can show you how to do that.

I'd be willing to help with the ballistic issues. I could make ballistic "tracer" path props, entry/exit wound overlay props, and bullet props (in flight, mushroomed, etc).
    I would need some idea of degree of specificity needed. For example, showing rifling grooves? A 9mm NATO round fired from a (full auto) Uzi would have very distinctive rifling - only four grooves. The casing's primer dent will be square, not round. The same round fired from a Jericho or Barak would have a rounded hexagonal impression, but no conventional grooves.
    At minimum, I would think you'd need a rifle bullet, a FMJ handgun bullet, a JHP handgun bullet, and a shotshell.

Maybe this thread should be retitled "P11Pro for ballistic forensics"?

• Poser Ambassadors

Oh, and yes, you can pose the dolls, change clothes/hair, change ethnicity, put props in their hands. You can animate them too, but keyframing the motion sequences takes some skill/experience.

You should also consider Poser's potential for portraying vehicles (collisions, getaways), buildings, etc.
    P11Pro comes with an apartment prop set and a Mini Cooper car. I have some freebie buildings/sidewalks/streets/streetlights.

• Poser Ambassadors

Note @jmgreen : Poser 11 Pro is the more capable software, especially if you'll need ballistic special effects or animation. DAZ Studio is free, but it is what's known in business as a "loss leader"; you get the basic program for free, but then you'll find that nearly everything you'll want to add must be purchased.

@shvrdavid or @admin : Maybe retitle thread to "Poser 11 Pro - for ballistic forensics"

• @James_in_3D said in Poser Pro 11:

@seachnasaigh @jmgreen Organs available here: https://www.daz3d.com/anatomy-4-pro-bundle

I should note that these props/this bundle all are perfectly compatible with Poser.

• Thanks to the forum for giving me some great ideas for this project for court. We have until mid February to create these visuals...... I might be back to this site........The BEST to All

• @jmgreen You will UNDOUBTEDLY find this easier to do in Poser than in DAZ. Simply use the figures recommended by ghostship. The software is more intuitive, it has the measuring tools SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED for forensic clients such as yourself, and it's very easy to create fly-arounds using the "point at" option, that will keep the camera locked on a target object, that show the crime scene from multiple angles in an animated format if a more polished end product is required.

• Matt, Thanks for the response..... can the lifting of the skin to show organs be done in Poser Pro 11 ? Our medical examiner will testify to this 3D exhibit as to where on the body the bullets entered and lifting and revealing the organs the path that the bullets took through the organs and where they exited..... and I imagine you could fly around the body ..... Thanks for your time and patience, oh.... Happy Thanksgiving !!!!

• @jmgreen you can't move around the polygons like that in Poser. Can't do it in Daz Studio either. What you would want to do is plug in a transparency map into the materials for that figure. This is WAY easier than trying to put a hole in the model. seconds of work as apposed to hours of model manipulation.

• @jmgreen here is an example. I did not make a map just turned transparency half way. The skeleton is a separate figure that I had to load in on it's own.
    0_1480001546488_head trasparent.jpg

• @jmgreen For what it's worth, here are a few examples of what Poser can do.

As @ghostship said, transparency is an easy solution.

I don't want to push traffic DAZ's way, but these anatomy figures are quite excellent -- I used them in a project for a post-secondary course that involved discussions about the brain's various parts.

Poser Pro 11 is very, very versatile and works with a wide variety of props and figures -- in addition to what has already been mentioned about Poser's inherent ease of use.

Good luck with your project. It would be interesting to see what your results are and how Poser is used in the "real world" outside of just "making art"!

0_1480002127772_PP11-anatomy-demo.jpg

• soooo many GREAT ideas from many of you... I forgot to ask one question, if the medical examiner testifies to a character created with all these factors (trajectory lines, exposing the internal organs, etc) Do these characters have to be displayed in Poser for full functionality ?
    Thanks !!

• If you want to be able to interactively adjust the point if view and zoom in and out etc.. Then yes. However for ease of presenting it may be a desirable option to render stills and or set animations to present the desired information, particularly if the person presenting is not experienced in the software or navigating in 3d space

• Poser Ambassadors

@jmgreen said in Poser Pro 11:

if the medical examiner testifies to a character created with all these factors (trajectory lines, exposing the internal organs, etc) Do these characters have to be displayed in Poser for ~~full~~ functionality ?

(emphasis added)
    If you want to be able to zoom in/out, rotate, etc. on the spur of the moment, then yes, display it in Poser.

But generally, you would use Poser to produce renders, and export those renders as PNG or JPG and display those with anything (Windows Explorer, PowerPoint).

You can also use Poser to produce flyaround and zoom animations and then composite them (GIF, ShockWaveFlash, FLV, AVI, QuickTime) from Poser and then display them with any picture viewer.

For example, you set up an animation in Poser -in slow motion- showing a bullet traveling, hitting at the entry wound, mushrooming in the liver. Render that animation in Poser, saving the animation frames as PNGs.
    Use a video/flash/GIF editor to compose those frames into a GIF. You can show the GIF in court using a web browser of image viewer.

I can make bullet models and bullet wake (tracer) paths for you, and show you how to use them.

You may be wondering "Why the intermediate step of rendering?"
    What you see in the realtime Poser display is only a preview; it is a crude but fast representation of the scene. Rendering takes longer but gives proper lighting, shows better detail, and allows for special effects.