Wierd Question for Anyone...

• Does anyone know how the Walk Designer works? Is it possible to program other moves into it, sitting or turning?

• @eclark1849 looking first at the contents of a Walk Blend (.PWK) file, we see:

WALKSTYLE_VERSION  1
    HeadBounce 0.000000
    ArmSwing 0.000000
    ArmOut 0.000000
    HipSwing 0.000000
    LegLift 0.000000
    Stride 0.000000
    STYLE_LEVEL 0.000000
    V4 Catwalk
    STYLE_LEVEL 0.311927
    V4 Creep
    STYLE_LEVEL 0.000000
    V4 Dangerous
    STYLE_LEVEL 0.000000
    V4 Heels Jog
    STYLE_LEVEL 0.000000
    V4 High Heel
    STYLE_LEVEL 0.000000
    V4 Low Heels
    STYLE_LEVEL 0.000000
    V4 March
    STYLE_LEVEL 0.000000
    V4 Monroe
    STYLE_LEVEL 0.000000
    V4 Run
    STYLE_LEVEL 0.000000
    V4 Sexy
    STYLE_LEVEL 0.000000
    V4 Slipper
    STYLE_LEVEL 0.000000
    V4 Stone Age
    STYLE_LEVEL 0.605505
    V4 Walk

Now, since the V4 walk styles are not included in the Walk Designer by default, that says to me that you can blend any of the things that the walk designer inherently does already, as well as incorporate other kinds of animated actions.

When I look at one of the walk cycle pose files I have in the Poser 11 :Runtime:Libraries:Pose:WalkDesigner folder, it seems to be a very standard animation pose file with only a few special additions:

clearFigureKeys 30

thighLength 0.188311
    feetDistance 0.023999948054
    hipHeight	 0.406987965107

the clearFigureKeys and thighLength are standard for most pose files, with the feetDistance and hipHeight additional features before the actors and their channel animation parameters.

As far as I remember, things like turning are a combination of Walk Designer and Animation Path. The last time I tried them, before the upgraded Path features, it was pretty obvious that the body of the figure smoothly translated over the path, but feet were slipping (twisting on the floor) as the figure turned around the curve in the path. It's not hugely noticeable, and I don't know whether that's been improved since then.

At the beginning and end of a walk, the figure can smoothly transition to a pose, but if that happened to be standing from a seated posture, or it's reverse at the end of the walk, I don't think that facility is present yet. A walk consists of blending of chosen animation cycles. If you try to incorporate some non-walk action, either be prepared to repeat it for the duration of the walk cycle, or limit the walk so you only get one cycle.

The sitting example really is a terminal action, unless your sit cycle returns to a standing position, you will have jumps in pose over multiple cycles. That may just be a bad example. As I said, sitting is a terminal activity. But something like a jump or hurdle, certainly could be part of a walk cycle, though unless you want to jump at every step, you'd need to include multiple steps before or after the jump.

A walk cycle is also not currently (as far as I'm aware - I may have missed updates as I haven't played with the walk designer for months) variable (apart from path induced turns) in terms of changing the gait, without starting a new walk over a different path (though that could be continuous with the previous path).

I hope this is helpful, though I'm no great authority on walk animations.

• @anomalaus Okay, so basically, I 'd be better off making my own seated or turn pose from scratch and just save it. Alright. Thanks.

• @eclark1849 if you want to be able to combine or interrupt walk animations with other activities like sitting or waving, I'd suggest looking into animation layers. Layers can allow distinct animation segments to retain their individual identity, rather than just being distilled to keyframes once loaded. Layers can have their effects blended together, so you can have your walk continue, while blending in and out a torso turn and hand wave animation. The sitting animation in one layer could be blended into the final step of a walk animation in another layer.

So back to the thrust of the original question, Layers would be my suggestion of the better way to incorporate non-walk actions into a walk animation, rather than trying to shoehorn them into the walk designer itself. And yes, that pretty much means doing your own sitting sequence. But once you've done it, it can be loaded and saved as an animation layer.

I've just noticed that the new path palette (which I'm just starting to explore) has a "Reverse" option, so you might consider that as a quick way to generate a stand-from-sitting pose sequence from a sit-from-standing animation. I'll be interested to see if that does what I expect it to do, since reversing animations by hand is excessively tedious. Even writing a script to do so requires endless logic to decode reversed interpolation and spline-breaks.

[Oh forgot to mention: the only thing weird about the question is the spelling of "wierd" ;-) ]

• @anomalaus Yeah, I always do that 'i before e, except after c' memory trick. :)

• @eclark1849 You're not the only one Earl. I do it as well.

• @miss-b said in Wierd Question for Anyone...:

@eclark1849 You're not the only one Earl. I do it as well.

Thing is, Miss B, until I do the memory trick, I actually have it spelled right.

• @eclark1849 I usually get it right for words I type of often. If it's a word I don't use that often, then I usually stop and think about it when I'm proofreading.

Of course, sometimes it's just a typo and not necessarily me not remembering the order of the vowels. ~wink~

• @eclark1849 I'm sorry, I was mistaken about the "Reverse" changing the traversal of the path frames, it merely inverts the direction of the path, as though it had been turned 180° about the start waypoint. Hadn't finished my RTFM when I made that supposition.