When I load a new window with the ground plain showing how to I get rid of the Grid?

• I have spent a lot of time trying to find out how I turn off the grid but I just can't find where to do it.
    I want to contour the ground and then apply a texture to it with out the overlaying grid showing in preview mode.

Thanks for the help

Mike

• PS. This is Poser 11 that I'm refering to.

• @mikemoss Under the DISPLAY Menu, find the GUIDES selection. Select the one for Ground Plane and the Grid will disappear. To bring it back, just do the same thing again.
    :)

• Or if you are using windows, hit ctrl-G which is the shortcut to toggle the ground plane on/off.

• @mikemoss

Main menu/Display/object style/use document style(or texture shaded).

• Thanks for the replies guys.

Mike

• Hi again,

Maybe this will make it clearer.
    I want to be able to see the contoured ground but without the grid pattern on it in Preview mode.

Here is an image.

When I turn off Ground Plane it removes the whole thing, I can apply a ground texture over the plane but the grid is still visible.

alt text

alt text

The top shows the grid clearly but they are still there in the bottom one as well.
    I have no idea why the bottom one came out so small, they starting images were the same size.

Mike

• @mikemoss without a decent resolution on that posted image, I can't tell which Element Display Style you've chosen for the Ground object.

I'm guessing that you are still displaying a preview in the second image, rather than an actual FireFly or SuperFly render. The default display mode for the Ground is Textured Lined, which will preview with the wireframe as well as whatever texture you've applied. You need to select either Use Scene Style for that element (the last option)
    0_1542388588093_Screen Shot 2018-11-17 at 4.14.52 am.png it's quite hard to see, but the blackest lines appear on the second-last option, which is Textured Lined on the ground in my default scene. Picking one of the modes to either side of that will give Textured (left) or Use Figure Style (which will default to the scene style for an unparented prop). The default scene style is usually Textured, which won't display the wireframe.
    0_1542388813806_Screen Shot 2018-11-17 at 4.19.29 am.png 0_1542388823830_Screen Shot 2018-11-17 at 4.19.50 am.png
    With the Ground selected, I've chosen Use Figure Style, and the wireframe goes away.

• @anomalaus

Do you mean that you can select a different display style for the ground and the figure.
    I always though that the display stile buttons always affected everything.

I'll have to check that out.

I usually use Preview mode for the finished project and don't go to the actually rendered modes because most of what I'm doing is animation, and even at a frame every couple of minutes it's just too long to render 3,000 to 5,000 frames and a couple of minutes isn't realistic unless I'm doing the lowest quality of rendering possible.

It's much faster to render the clips and a large size in preview mode and then reduce them for the final video in the editor then to try and actually use Firefly, let alone super firefly.

I wish that the Preview mode could do a little be better job of rendering shadows, I just turn them off because they always look muddy, I've tried different settings but while they are better than they used to be they still aren't good.

• Use the Aux Camera so you get a lot space in your working window. Select Ground in the Hierarchy Menu. Right-click on the ground part in your scene window, and a pop up menu appears. Select Object Style. Select Texture Shaded or Smooth Shaded, as you wish.

• @mikemoss as you see at the bottom of that last post, the display style palette has a pop-up menu at the top, denoted by the white triangle. Clicking on that or the text beside it pops up
    0_1543151893055_Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 12.17.53 am.png , so yes, you can separately determine whole document styles from individual figures and elements (single actors or props).
    In the previous post, you can see the last symbol (a circle with an up-arrow) lets you relinquish individual actor or figure styles to the next selection up the hierarchy (actors can use the figure's style, or figures can use the document's style).

I do exactly the same with animation renders. My usual SuperFly render settings (I use a lot of volumetrics and caustics) are so onerous on my gasping CPU (no GPU renders are possible for me with AMD Radeon in an iMac), that I can only ever render animations in preview mode. Worse still, I have to actually get up and leave the machine while an animation renders, because any change of application focus will abort the render (this doesn't happen for stills, fortunately, otherwise I'd throw out Poser completely).

I feel exactly the same way about preview render quality. Way too many flickering shadows. I'm also waiting to see whether the next Poser release will be able to make use of more that 32 CPU threads for rendering, before I decide whether to ditch my iMac completely for rendering purposes and go PC (hawwwk, ptui, phtang!).