Say you're a Content Developer... what would be your strategy for the next 10 years?

• @ken1171 said in Say you're a Content Developer... what would be your strategy for the next 10 years?:

Unreal is another option, but not so much for me, because it doesn't allow code programming (visual drag and drop only), which can be limiting for game creators. In general, Unity can create games with more complex interactions, while Unreal is known for producing prettier games, but with simpler gameplay.

Not sure where you got this idea, you could not be further from the truth.
    Just go to the C++ tab when you start, and Unreal allows you to directly enter and edit the C++ code.
    If you already have a project started, you can change to C++ style in the project settings.
    You do need Visual Studio installed. (The free Community version works for Unreal just fine for most stuff)
    Don't worry, Unreal tells you if you don't have Visual Studio installed, and you can just press a button and download the installer.
    Once that runs, pick off any optional SDKs you want and your off and running.

Unreal allows you to directly code the entire game if you want too.... But what would you need Unreal for? lol

There are tons of free plugins for thing like CLion, etc, as well.

• Poser Ambassadors

@karina IF POSER doesn't come up with a new P12 that is no less than a revolution, I think it will fade into oblivion, and then THAS will have the market.

As us french for tips and tricks regarding revolution ;). But no, seriously, you are right here. I talked with many Poser user and they want all something really, really new and exiting. Many don't care about better tools for content creator, they want revolutionary new tools inside Poser.

What I would resort to right now is to build a portfolio of (high quality!) freebies and share it in many of the currently "go-to" hyped platforms.*

SM and the Poser developer team could hire content creator .Content creator who can and want support Poser and rebuild Poser's reputation.

• @ladonna said in Say you're a Content Developer... what would be your strategy for the next 10 years?:

@karina IF POSER doesn't come up with a new P12 that is no less than a revolution, I think it will fade into oblivion, and then THAS will have the market.

As us french for tips and tricks regarding revolution ;). But no, seriously, you are right here. I talked with many Poser user and they want all something really, really new and exiting. Many don't care about better tools for content creator, they want revolutionary new tools inside Poser.

What I would resort to right now is to build a portfolio of (high quality!) freebies and share it in many of the currently "go-to" hyped platforms.*

SM and the Poser developer team could hire content creator .Content creator who can and want support Poser and rebuild Poser's reputation.

... as they did in the old days. Poser4 came with "Posette" done by Zygote. Not, that I want her back, but she was state of the art those days.

• Poser Ambassadors

@masterstroke Posette was revolutionary at this time, I never used her, I started with V2 ,but she was for Poser 4 very sophisticated ( as I hear).
    But now we have 2018, 21 century where FX and VR take place. Stop with Nostalgica and lets move forward.
    There is a quota ( don't know from who). When you don't go with the time, than you will have to go by time. (Hope I translate it correct.

• @ladonna, it all comes down to the question of content, especially Figures.
    If one objectively compare poser11 and DS4.5, poser is far more advanced and has the better program structure.
    The clear separation in rooms for specific tasks makes it easy to use, a plus that is right now introduced into Blender 2.8 because thats exactly what the user wanted.
    I tryed to work with DS several times, it has its benefits, like its light system, the head lamp for the camera. Its backbone is the integrated access to the Daz3D Store, you can build a scene, missing an item, drop into the shop, search and buy something, download it and use it right away.
    On the other hand, the library is a mess, i could not find my own ass in it.
    There is no hair creation tool build in, you have to buy a physical simulation tool as a plugin and as far as my experinence goes, the program is far from stabil, crashes and freezes all over the place.
    The only big plus on there side is the content, first and foremost the incredible genesis family.
    In my opinion, the faith of poser is dependent on two things, first we need a faster and better version of SF. It is possible, Blender knows how to do it.
    Secondly we need a next level figur plattform.
    And that needs to be communicated with SM.
    If they would greenlighting a new Version of poser with a live span of, lets say 2 to 5 Years including updates, content creators could start build and sale stuff for it.
    Otherwise, if one has to constandly fear the end of the poser plattform, why on earth would someone spend time and affored to create something for it.
    This is the reason why so many content creator stopped making stuff for poser, in my opinion.

• Poser Ambassadors

@marco I agree with with most what you say.
    The Library, indeed a huge mess.
    The hair plug in, I have to say the results are really awesome, the plugin when in sale, affordable. A huge contra, very heavy and after you create your fur, you can not move the figure anymore to another pose.
    What is in DS a huge plus is the light system. Far better than Poser lights and the World dome which comes with Poser. I like DS's Dome and lights. Also the camera is way better .More possibilities ,more advanced.
    Poser is maybe more advanced, where I agree and like it, but we talk here about the normal average of Poser uses who don't care about smooth working rigging tools or another high end tool.They want and easy workflow for their daily artwork.
    And this is where Poser lacks. Lights, cameras need really a huge update.
    And yes, content, but how ? Who?

• @ladonna said in Say you're a Content Developer... what would be your strategy for the next 10 years?:

<snip>...which was for hobbits like my husband... <snip>

No one commented on it, am I the last one to find out that Ladonna's husband is a Hobbit?!

• Say you're a Content Developer... what would be your strategy for the next 10 years?

Develop Content?

• Poser Ambassadors

@prixat What is the reason you insult here my husband?

I think for me is really time for me to leave this forum. Where non English speaker get permanently insulted and offended is not a forum I really want to participate.

• @fbs7 said in Say you're a Content Developer... what would be your strategy for the next 10 years?:

@meshbox said in Say you're a Content Developer... what would be your strategy for the next 10 years?:

Game engine use is one good way to go. But I will say right now that I have an ever increasing number of content sales to the Blender community.

Basic support for multiple non-game engine platforms really isn't that hard. Where it gets tricky are expectations of native system support.

Hmm.... Blender does have the benefit of being free... and even if one uses Unity or Unreal, they will end up using Blender anyway for the meshes, rigging, uv maps, etc... You think Blender is the safest bet of the bunch?

Historically, Meshbox has supported plenty of systems, but often with just basic support. D|S we added later than most, but we've also supported Vue, Shade, Bryce and as of a few years ago, Blender. From the start we also supported 3DS MAX for game licensing.

Content creators like us typically focus on the 'end market' - where users are rendering. Our licenses tend to be written for this market in which the license is based around 2D output and a handful of limitations.

Despite historical complaints I have had about Blender, adding Cycles was a major turning point. 2.8 demonstrates that they are finally getting it that workflow matters and trying to stick with conventions that were at odds with the rest of the industry is going to limit their growth.

So yes, I think Blender is a great platform to support. I do not see it as the best possible modeling environment, but for the purposes or licensing content there, it doesn't have to be.

I think for me is really time for me to leave this forum. Where non English speaker get permanently insulted and offended is not a forum I really want to participate.

Please don't leave Ladonna. Just ignore @prixat. I for one, would miss you on this forum.

• Hmm... whatever the future holds, I tend to think it will involve either Unreal or Unity, if only for the reason that there are probably dozens or hundreds of games at work right now with those two guys.

So they are monsters! Unreal is developed by Epic Games (holy moses! they are almost my neighbors in North Carolina and I didn't know that!!), which is skyrocketing: its worth is reportedly increased (although we can never really trust them financial rumors from the internet) from $4.5B to $8.5B through 2018, while Unity Technlogies is a Danish company with a market valuation of $3B.

So that's big big money, and with big big money there's a lot of development, and these two up so far have got the development in the right places. Both Blender and DAZ3D got their bridges with these guys, so this will be fascinating!

I tend to think that the biggest track in the field will be plowed by these two, for the reason that they have managed to tie their 3D rendering & animation infrastructure to hugely successful games, and that is a game changer. Whoever can integrate their vision to that will have better chances of making money, I suspect.

• @miss-b said in Say you're a Content Developer... what would be your strategy for the next 10 years?:

@ladonna said in Say you're a Content Developer... what would be your strategy for the next 10 years?:

Please don't leave Ladonna. Just ignore @prixat. I for one, would miss you on this forum.

Please calm down folks!
    Didn't you notice that it was meant as a tongue-in-cheek joke?
    So please don't go ballistic because of such a minor misunderstanding:
    No reason to start WW III here...

Don't worry, be happy!

Karina

• @miss-b said in Say you're a Content Developer... what would be your strategy for the next 10 years?:

@ladonna said in Say you're a Content Developer... what would be your strategy for the next 10 years?:

Please, please, please. You are a special contributor.

• Poser Ambassadors

@Miss-B @karina @RobZhena
    I hope I will find here the correct words. This forum was once a nice place for dedicated Poser users, Artists ,who share ideas, visions, Art, Tips, Tricks . We had funny discussions with funny brainstorming ideas.
    Now this place become more and more unpleasant from day to day.
    Bashing members, like Tony , who maybe let sometimes raise the blood pressure from some user here, but he is one of the most dedicated Poser user and he never hesitate to help when user are in need.
    BagginsBill , he is one of the real master here , who teach already generations of Poser user how to archive better render with materials .How many times did he get offended as arrogant? Arrogant because he get tired to repeat his self over and over again, since years. btw, many other would already quit and leave in his case.
    As for me, I don't care if somebody try to offend me, when I have enough, I switch to the bitch mode and hit back.
    But, for me everybody cross the line who think it is funny to make jokes about my family. No @karina ,it is NOT funny at all.
    You can make jokes about me how much you want, but leave my family out from poor comedies .

As for better understanding for some who think this tiresome joke with tongue-in-cheek joke, like Karina say is funny for non english forum member. It is not. It keeps away many user from other countries to contribute here, because after a while it get tiresome to be the target of some primitive insider jokes. I use (like many other non english speaker) auto correct , which gives sometimes stupid errors and yes, sometimes people don't see it right away and post with strange error.
    Somebody with class and niveau would just go over it. But it looks like Pixar has none of them.

Funny fact, the thread here , where I write my complain. Read again, think again. This is one of the reason why Poser vendors are sick and tired of this community. Never-ending bashing , offending and complaining removes all fun and dedication .

This thread is for show on what lacks that Poser seems to diminish.Well this is one of the reason.

• @ladonna, i really don't want to downplay your concern about family and such but i read the text that are in disput here and i thought you where joking yourself by calling your husband a hobbit instead of hobbyist. I read it and it put's a smile on my face, because i am also a big J.R. Tolkin fan... Hobbits are very serious persons, dedicated to a task or problem, they are forgetting the whole world and any danger to finish the task.
    So, i got instantly a picture of a Hobbit with squezzed eye brows, highly focused on a computer screen 3DS Max running on it.
    Then i read the comment on this by karina, if i am not mistaken, pointing out that no one else seemt to notice you great sense of humor.
    Not in a hundred years i would have come to the conclusion that this was meant as an insult.
    I am myself a non english speaker or how i like to put it a german with bad english gramma, i think you have noticed that.
    I am like you dependent on translator software and in this prozess some of the meaning, the attitude and emotions are getting lost or confused.
    I really think this is a simple mistake on both sides, in this case karina and you are talking over each others heads, if this is the correct phrase.
    In german i would say: Ihr sprecht aneinander vorbei. Throw this in the translater, so you get the picture.

• Poser Ambassadors

@marco I got you, ( My German is very good) , my point is different. I see the hobbit, yes, it was an Auto correct error and to late to change, but this is not the first time people try to be funny with others lack of English language and Pixar's comment speak for its self.

• @ladonna you are very passionat about that, it seems we have made differend experiences.
    I just can speak for myself but i try to see the best in my fellow human and grante him always the benefit of the doubt.
    I also noticed that insults and bad language is more often used on females, i don't know why, i think it's un-necessary and harmfull, but like i sad, i was'nt even spotting an insult here.
    Maybe i am missing an antenna here.

• The content I make is simple enough to be OBJ or FBX. Which has the incidental benefit of being largely software agnostic. Anything really complex just stays in c4d format.

Obviously that's useless for complex materials and figures.

Though I have noticed FBX is improving all the time. I just did a quick test and discovered that Pixar's Adaptive SudD is supported by FBX and DS was able to understand it.