I'm starting to love Exporting to Unity!!!!

• Download Unity 5 Personal, it's free (just swear to them you'll not make $1M, that was easy promise for me), then open your regular Poser file, export as FBX, go to Unity, Assert / Import New... ergo, you got your toon, fully rigged with all morphs just like that!!!!!

I was amazed with that. Of course, rigging will be different and you'll need to adjust it (hint - Inspector / Rig, change to Humanoid) and you will need to fix textures and do other adjustments, maybe plenty of them (my Andy worked fine, while my V3 got in trouble with some "ICM" joint junk, whatever that is), but that's a one-time thingie. Then enable "Legacy Animation" and voila, you can animate with curves, keyframes, dopesheet exactly as in Poser or Blender, definitely much much easier than DAZ. And you have all the resources that Unity provides, like physics, particles, animation controllers (make the toon walk by itself, for example, but good luck with that, that sounds very complicated, haha!), etc..

That way you can do your animation movies in Unity, using the same Poser assets.

Now, it does have limitations, of course; will have to rebuild rendering nodes (which I don't use anyway), and I couldn't figure yet what to do with dynamic hair (which I don't use either), and whether one should fit clothes in Poser and then export the clothed toons as a composite model to Unity, or if there's support for dynamic clothes in Unity. No clue about that yet.

But I'm seriously contemplating the option of moving all my assets to Unity, and doing animations there!

• very very interesting !

• I'm curious if you are making AO maps for use in Unity.

If not, you may want to check out this video on creating them in Blender.
    They make a big difference in how the figure renders out in Unity.

• @shvrdavid Goodness! that horizon makes me nostalgic for Bryce! ;_;

• Ah, thank you! No Ambient Occlusion maps for me, I always just use 4 lights, for the kind of animation I do they are perfectly good.

• I usually make the AO maps just so I have them.

They don't always make a huge difference, as you mentioned.
    But that depends on the lighting and the texture dimensions/size, more often than not.

• @anomalaus said in I'm starting to love Exporting to Unity!!!!:

@shvrdavid Goodness! that horizon makes me nostalgic for Bryce! ;_;

I still have Bryce installed, and use it now and then. It's how I got into the 3D graphics world, back with version 4. It's certainly come a long way since then. Unfortunately, with DAZ currently owning it, it won't be going any further in development. :(

• @miss-b said in I'm starting to love Exporting to Unity!!!!:

I still have Bryce installed, and use it now and then. It's how I got into the 3D graphics world, back with version 4. It's certainly come a long way since then. Unfortunately, with DAZ currently owning it, it won't be going any further in development. :(

Same here but I was version 3, it's a shame that DAZ treated it the way they have, it showed such more promise, if there was further development, same can most likely about Carrara which also seems to have stalled. 2 original Metacreations programs gobbled up, Poser appears to be the last man standing.

It makes one wonder if DAZ buys these programs just so they can let them rot and try to make D|S become the goto for anything 3D?

• @tastiger said in I'm starting to love Exporting to Unity!!!!:

It makes one wonder if DAZ buys these programs just so they can let them rot and try to make D|S become the goto for anything 3D?

Well DAZ didn't obtain Bryce until after I had already upgraded to version 5, and they did come out with versions 5.5, 6, 7 and finally 7.1. During that time they were still developing DS, so yes, now that it's developed to what they think is a very good piece of software, they don't need to develop Bryce or Carrara any more.

I remember when their earlier versions of DS (2 and 3) were tied to Bryce. If you wanted to use both, you had to have one (don't recall which one) already installed before installing the other. It's really a shame, as I'm a landscape artist at heart. I only got into portrait style renders when I started beta testing years ago, and always wanted to do an artistic render of the product(s) I was testing.