Arms look weird on preset motion captures

• My rigs legs act perfectly fine but its arms always look weird as if they are bending in the opposite direction

• Did you use the James rig?
    If i recall correct, the soccer player motion cap sim works not for all figures the same way.
    I used this sim with James and it worked fine.

• Also what axis did you set for the arms when you imported the bvh? I know the first few times I overlooked it until I realized the arms need to be set on the z axisalt text

• @tastiger O_O i didnt know you can choose a axis for the BVH files, where do you find that option to change the axis of the arms?

• @marco I didnt use the James rig i just used andy

• @tastiger Ok i found how to bring up the BVH dialogue box but how can i get that option with the preset motion capture files in poser that i can drop and drag on a model? Because in the poser program when i try and drop and drag a motion on a model it doesnt give me a option to set the arms axis

• @shadowofabyss i have never seen this dialog pop up.
    My guess was, that your figure and James are different in there bone structure.
    Maybe the joints have other angles.

• @shadowofabyss said in Arms look weird on preset motion captures:

@tastiger O_O i didnt know you can choose a axis for the BVH files, where do you find that option to change the axis of the arms?

The option should pop up on your screen when you import the bvh as per my image above

• @shadowofabyss said in Arms look weird on preset motion captures:

@tastiger Ok i found how to bring up the BVH dialogue box but how can i get that option with the preset motion capture files in poser that i can drop and drag on a model? Because in the poser program when i try and drop and drag a motion on a model it doesn't give me a option to set the arms axis

I don't drag and drop I always use the import function, select your figure then use the menu
    File / Import / BVH motion

• Would it be okay for me to send someone the file to help me correct the error of this models arms with the pre made motion captures in poser pro? I wanted to use things like walk designer to save me time in animating but the arms always go in toward the models body. Moving his arms on the dial parameter dials everything works fine but i just dont get why everything else works fine besides the arms in motion capture files in poser itself.

• Sorry it has taken a bit to get to this with the Holidays and all.

What you need to do is use the layers function in the animation to add a counter rotation to the limbs that are twisted the incorrect way. Played with your basis settings on Andy and the skip motion pose. First off the pose has about 30 frames where it gets things setup and about the last 70 frames are a finishing release. So what is actually the motion is from frames 30 to 330. There are actually several things wrong with that motion but we will work with it as the principals are the same no matter.

At first I was going to recommend that you add an additional layer and put the skip movement on that layer. However it seems Poser will not apply the Hip XYZ translates from the pose to any layer except the Base Layer (this goes back to at least Poser 9/2012). So we apply the pose to the Base Layer. Then add a new layer above the Base. On this layer ensure that we are in replace mode, then unselect the check box to include in playback, then reselect the Base Layer and go back to Keyframes. Find the Parts we want to modify (in this case Twist on the Right Shoulder and Forearm). Look at the graph for each of these parts and note how much they are twisted (around 60-80 degrees).

Now go back to Layers and select the new layer and reenable the include in playback and make sure we are in replace mode. once that is done go back into Keyframes and select the Right Shoulder twist and add a keyframe at frame ONE and turn it into a Constant Spline. Go to the Last Frame and also make it Constant. What this does is make a value the remains the same across the time line to add or subtract a certain amount of twist. Now back on frame ONE dial in an amount to counteract the twist (If 60 then put in -60). Once you have all the parts with a counter movement in them go back to the Layers box and change the Replace to Add. Along with Include in Playback when you run the timeline your arm will be in the correct position.

Super Big WARNING. Do not use the dials on any layer that is not currently the only layer to have an effect. That is if you want to make a change to Layer One then ensure it is in replace mode and that if you have more layers (other then Base) that they are NOT included in playback. If you don't do this then the values will skyrocket to extreme values.