Poser for oil painting?

• Hi,

I'm a painter, I paint in oil on canvas. You can find some of my works here: www.nomeansmore.com (please be advised that some of you may find my paintings disturbing).

I would like to try to incorporate into my workflow 3D characters using Poser, Daz3d (or maybe something different?). I would be grateful of any advices. Im usually preparing my painting in the Photoshop first and when I'm happy with the result I do it in oil in canvas. Im a bit familiar with 3D, but not much. I would like to simply set up the character pose, send it to photoshop, finalise on the backgrund, done.

What I'm looking for:

• Software which i can run on my macbook retina 2012, 16gb (a bit venerable for 3d) Poser? DaZ3d?

• Fast enough in the editor (Poser seems to be quite smooth, but Daz3D is very slow in the editor, BIG problem now, Im I doing something wrong?)

• I dont need really super realistic render (although would be nice to have that option, maybe via some render farm?)

• Im fine buying assets (I actually prefer that before free stuff which can be buggy)

• I can invest $200usd in the 3d software max (currently im running 30 days period for the Poser)

• I dont want to fiddle with details (thats not my core work), I want to download a character which i can fully customise, buy clothes, props, etc. Im a bit confused with Poser now, some characters can do facial morphs, some dont, etc. I would prefer to buy 2-3 really good (even expensive) characters with option of many addons (clothes, etc.)

So my questions:

• Poser or Daz3d? Or something else? Poser seems to be a bit dead compare to DAZ3d - Am I right?

• What characters would you recommend me whith the "full" feature set and I can buy many assets for? I'm also looking for kids models.

Thank you very much for help!

Karel

• @kpapik said in Poser for oil painting?:

Hi,

I'm a painter, I paint in oil on canvas. You can find some of my works here: www.nomeansmore.com (please be advised that some of you may find my paintings disturbing).

I would like to try to incorporate into my workflow 3D characters using Poser, Daz3d (or maybe something different?). I would be grateful of any advices. Im usually preparing my painting in the Photoshop first and when I'm happy with the result I do it in oil in canvas. Im a bit familiar with 3D, but not much. I would like to simply set up the character pose, send it to photoshop, finalise on the backgrund, done.

What I'm looking for:

• Software which i can run on my macbook retina 2012, 16gb (a bit venerable for 3d) Poser? DaZ3d?

• Fast enough in the editor (Poser seems to be quite smooth, but Daz3D is very slow in the editor, BIG problem now, Im I doing something wrong?)

• I dont need really super realistic render (although would be nice to have that option, maybe via some render farm?)

• Im fine buying assets (I actually prefer that before free stuff which can be buggy)

• I can invest $200usd in the 3d software max (currently im running 30 days period for the Poser)

• I dont want to fiddle with details (thats not my core work), I want to download a character which i can fully customise, buy clothes, props, etc. Im a bit confused with Poser now, some characters can do facial morphs, some dont, etc. I would prefer to buy 2-3 really good (even expensive) characters with option of many addons (clothes, etc.)

So my questions:

• Poser or Daz3d? Or something else? Poser seems to be a bit dead compare to DAZ3d - Am I right?

• What characters would you recommend me whith the "full" feature set and I can buy many assets for? I'm also looking for kids models.

Thank you very much for help!

Karel

Welcome aboard!
    An update to Poser will be out soon (as opposed to DAZ “Soon”). The other major issue is TCO (total cost of ownership). Daz will nickel and dime you to death and you will spend more than the cost of Poser adding 3rd party add-ons to reach feature compatibility. Daz’s business model is based on churn, since the are primarily a content brokerage that dabbles (badly) in software development.

If you are on a Mac, Poser is the way to go. Daz Studio is Geared more toward WIN/Nvidia. And the less said about Daz’s OSX “support”, the better.

Since you are actually looking at using Poser for what it was originally designed to do (assist painters in painting Humans). I would stick with Poser. Paul and Pauline are included if you need “heroic sized” (8 head scale) and the G2 figures (Sydney, Jessi, Olivia, Miki 2, James, Koji, and Kelvin) if you need normal sized people.

AFA kids, it depends - there are a number of legacy figures available for both Poser and DS.

If you want the most content, run with the Daz Gen 4 figures (Victoria/Michael 4) - they have literally several orders of magnitude more content than any other figure. And if another figure tickets your fancy, there are tools in Poser that will allow you to convert content from one figure to another (Fitting room and/or Coth room).

Poser has the ability to upgrade legacy figures to the latest and greatest features, whereas with DS, you get to either start over with each new generation or dump a couple hundred dollars on conversion scripts.

• @ssgbryan Thanks very much for your answer!

In regards of the characters. I see in my library these:

• Pauline, Pauline2, Paul, Paul2 (I guess these are the 8 head scale)
    • Ben, Ben 2, Kate, Kate 2, SimonG2, SydneyG2, James, Project Human, Don, Poser Originals, Alyson, Judy, Rex, Roxie, Creech, Ryan, Jessi (I guess "2" characters are "better" with all poser 11 functionality? is there any reason to use nong2 characters?)

I don't see Miki2, Olivia, Koji, Kelvin.

Or should I buy Victoria/Michael 4 for Daz and try to convert them for Poser?

Thanks much for your time,

Karel

• @kpapik All DAZ Gen 4 (Michael and Victoria 4) figures are Poser Compatible and will work natively in Poser.

• @eclark1849 thanks for the help! I'm a bit missing the global picture how it works with the characters.

If i understand it correctly, there is for example "Ela" character, which is based on Genesis 3 or Genesis 8 model from DAZ. So I can use the Genesis 3 version and import it to the Poser 11. But the result of the render will not be as good as here right?:

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/ela-for-the-g3-and-g8-females/128207/

Because these images are based on the render on DAZ. So from Poser it will be less realistic, ok?

k.

• @kpapik said in Poser for oil painting?:

@eclark1849 thanks for the help! I'm a bit missing the global picture how it works with the characters.

If i understand it correctly, there is for example "Ela" character, which is based on Genesis 3 or Genesis 8 model from DAZ. So I can use the Genesis 3 version and import it to the Poser 11. But the result of the render will not be as good as here right?:

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/ela-for-the-g3-and-g8-females/128207/

Because these images are based on the render on DAZ. So from Poser it will be less realistic, ok?

k.

The previous suggestion of using V4/M4 and the K4 for children would be my way to go. If you are wanting to paint them then the slight variances on the final render would not be that big a deal. there are literally thousands of morphs / character sets for v4/m4 which wok outr of the box in Poser (though to use the latest SuperFly render engine you would probably need the FREE EZSkin3 tool) TCO is definitely lower with Poser if you want al the bells and whistles and OSX support is I believe much better.

• @kpapik BTW, when you say your work is "disturbing", you should clarify that to mean that it is NOT SAFE FOR Work OR OTHER PUBLIC SPACES.

• @kpapik
    Talking about 'real' painting and computers: Did you look at Rebelle?. It simulates water based systems only so acrylic is the closest you will come to oil.

As for the figure: as long as you are not interested in high-end realism and be savvy with money, Victoria 4 would be the way to go. She is versatile and there is still a lot of stuff for her available, often at very affordable prices.

Sure there is a lot of rubbish in the freebies, but also quite some good stuffs, made to do what the maker wanted it to do. That may not be far off from what you want to do with it. You want to make stills to work over in post. A flick of the morph brush can cure a lot in render. If you go for postwork anyway you can render layer by layer and combine, which makes you much more flexible.

• Poser Team

Poser 10 might be a good choice for you. You can still buy Mac versions on Amazon

It does not use OpenGL at all, and everything is done in software. Even a Mac from 2009 might run it fine.

Also, I am a painter and recommend projecting onto your canvas to interpret while transferring.

• Rebelle - Interesting, but I probably have no use for that. When I "paint" on computer, I use Procreate on Ipad pro, its quite good.

Projecting - thats certainly possible way, but Im using different workflow. maybe will try in future :)

• @h-elwood-gilliland I would be very happy to discuss the combination of oil on canvas and electronic products.

• Poser Ambassadors

When wanting a realistic oil painting look the ArtRage is the program i go to.

• @kpapik
    Hi there, it seems to become a pattern, i am also a painter and a digital artist, both on an amateure level, i have to say.
    I paint in oils, but you would consider them "boring" like you stated on your webside.
    Most of my pictures are Landscapes, some Portraits and Animale pets like dogs, cats and horses.
    I like your BDSM Stuff, i am working in this genre with poser for quite some time now.
    If you are interested, i could share some of my pictures.
    Send me a PM.
    And yes, they are "disturbing" and not safe for work or public spaces!

• Looks like we can start a 'painters who do Poser' group. LOL!
    ***=NSFW content***

click to show

0_1545943543618_fv82.jpg

• Okay guys, thanks for the help. I bought several assets. Now I have, for example, Amy1_200841.zip. I'm wondering where to uzip it?

The instructins are:
    Extract the zip-archive with your zip program:

• Open WinZip and press the button -Extract-
    • In the window Folders/drives, select the folder that contain your Poser program.
      (ex. c:\program files\E\Poser7\ ).
    • The check box -Use Folder names- must be Checked.
    • That way, all files will placed in the correct path

I don't see an option how to check "The check box -Use Folder names- must be Checked", so maybe I should somehow manualy distribute the content to folders? which folders? OMG I'm hopless... :(

0_1546004506272_Screenshot 2018-12-28 at 14.31.59.jpg

• @kpapik
    Where you unzip and make your Runtime folder is not important as long as:

• you tell Poser where to find it and
    • it is not in a location where you need admin privilige to write.
    • where you can keep it separate from default Poser installs.
      The Program Files folder in Windows 7, 8 or 10 therefore is not a good idea.
      Default location to save additions is: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Poser 11 Content\Downloads
      Instructons to write into the folder under Program Files may have persisted from long time ago.
      Most of us use a folder system on a separate drive.
      You then in the library tell Poser where to find it. Use the bookshelf-with-a-plus icon top-right and select the folder in which you added the Runtime folder.
      So if you made a folder for all your Pauline stuff, say D:\Poserstuff\ForPauline\ select that folder to store the Runtime and tell Poser it can find the Runtime in that Folder.

• @f_verbaas said in Poser for oil painting?:

So if you made a folder for all your Pauline stuff, say D:\Poserstuff\ForPauline\ select that folder to store the Runtime and tell Poser it can find the Runtime in that Folder.
    Mine looks like this:
    0_1546006867194_Knipsel.JPG

• I added the library... but its empty :(

0_1546010756523_Screenshot 2018-12-28 at 16.23.43.jpg

• @kpapik You are looking in figures You need to look in Poses (the running man icon) or Materials (the palette icon)

• thanks for help. i think i give up. :(

0_1546011078592_Screenshot 2018-12-28 at 16.30.25.jpg