Just a gripe about an 'enhancement'.

• @miss-b Doesn't really matter that much, Miss B. It's a shame, though because I really love working with Poser. But all I keep hearing, particularly from the Ambassadors, are excuses about why Poser doesn't fix bugs or add features, or whatever. Now, I can bide my time, as I have until now, and wait for Poser to catch up or I can move on. I was really excited when Poser added Cycles to it's features. In fact, it was the single most important reason I decided to buy Poser 11. So I was a little disappointed when I found out that some of the Cycles nodes were missing from Poser, and oh yeah, Poser can't read .blend files. Seeing as how Cycles and Blender are so intricately tied together, just seems like that would be an important selling point to add.

• You can edit the shortcuts in the general preferences, interface tab. In case you weren't aware.

@bagginsbill said in Just a gripe about an 'enhancement'.:

That's kind of surprising.

I would have asked for a new preference option - "Always send render to background" so that when I use the shortcut Ctrl-R it would NOT do a foreground render.

In fact, I'm kind of suprised they didn't get rid of foreground rendering as well as removing the background rendering buttons - who wants foreground rendering, ever, when background rendering is available?

• @seachnasaigh well, I'm struggling to find out how to network render a series of image files for an animation. Since the Make Movie panel doesn't have a Send to Queue,
    0_1547198318325_Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 8.16.46 pm.png
    I'd assumed that the menu
    0_1547198361589_Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 8.17.42 pm.png
    Render in Queue option would commit the animation to the render queue, but it only does a single frame render.

So, it now appears to be impossible to network render a series of frames with only a single action, and that each individual frame will have to be manually sent to the queue, unless I'm completely oblivious to something in front of my face.

I will certainly admit, that my enthusiasm for network rendering was suddenly kindled and then immediately extinguished when the previous Poser release did not contain a matching QM version, but I'd rather not have to write Python scripts to crunch through each frame and commit it to render in the queue.

[EDIT] I specifically want to use a series of images, rather than a regular animation format, to test Queue Manager functionality in my setup.

• Poser Ambassadors

@anomalaus said in Just a gripe about an 'enhancement'.:

@seachnasaigh well, I'm struggling to find out how to network render a series of image files for an animation. Since the Make Movie panel doesn't have a Send to Queue

Yep, that's the problem. You can send singletons to queue and amass a batch list, but you can't send an animation out to the network.0_1547199349734_banghead.gif

So, it now appears to be impossible to network render a series of frames with only a single action, and that each individual frame will have to be manually sent to the queue, unless I'm completely oblivious to something in front of my face.

I haven't found any way to queue an animation out to a network. I want my send render to... button back!0_1547199228523_crypb.gif

[EDIT] I specifically want to use a series of images, rather than a regular animation format, to test Queue Manager functionality in my setup.

Same with me; I render PNGs and then use a GIF/Flash/video editor to composite them.

• Totally agree, no idea why that button was removed (and the layout left exactly the same with a now empty space) Can't find any posts here suggesting it needed to be removed either.

• @seachnasaigh Oh, it's not as difficult as I envisioned.

The problem is primarily that the menu option Render in Queue specifically resets the IsMovie option, which is just wrong.

A single, simple Python command:

poser.Scene().RenderToQueue('<Path-to-destination>/<render-file-name>.<extension>',<render-width>,<render-height>,<isMovie>)

My currently running example, which is successfully using both local and remote QM nodes to render 30 frames of an Andy2 figure doing a backflip was (with excisions for privacy):

poser.Scene().RenderToQueue('/Users/XXXX/Documents/Poser Scenes/Andy2 Back Flip.png',160,120,1)

Provided you have previously set up the Make Movie parameters to save Image Files, and selected a range of more than one frame, the outcome is what was desired.

0_1547203077096_Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 9.36.25 pm.png
    Main workstation QM screenshot showing completion of render of 30 frames.

0_1547203091109_Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 9.37.17 pm.png
    Frame number orders are shuffled as the workstation gets through several frame renders in the time the remote takes to render one frame.

And finally, here's the animated GIF produced by GraphicConverter, with a 0.1 second delay between frames:
    0_1547204345342_Andy2 Back Flip_0001.gif

• Poser Ambassadors

@rlowens68 said in Just a gripe about an 'enhancement'.:

You can edit the shortcuts in the general preferences, interface tab. In case you weren't aware.

When that feature came out it was the first thing I tried but my recollection is it did not work. Just tried again and it did work. Thanks for the reminder.

• @rlowens68 Oh! That reminds me. On macOS, they still haven't fixed the missing modifier keys which should be displayed in the Shortcuts dialog.
    0_1547213822361_Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 12.35.15 am.png
    Those '+' signs on the right are supposed to be interposed between visible modifiers as appear in the Menus:
    0_1547213905222_Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 12.35.37 am.png

I spent a while previously proving that there was no valid reason why the symbols representing the Mac Cmd, Shift and Option keys shouldn't be displayed. I was even able to use the Apple Symbol font and Poser Pro's Text Tool to create an appropriate Cmd symbol.

0_1547214137809_Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 3.09.03 am.png
    This is what it used to look like in build 33971, and still should.

• @eclark1849 This has already been removed in a future release. (RDNA)

• Send To Background was removed because it stopped functioning correctly, and it appeared to be a baldfaced lie. When we tested the feature upon addressing the option being missing, it appeared to create a "Process Bar" which is not really "in the background", eh?

If there was a way, in Python, to either Send to Background or Render in Queue, that has not been touched.

• @miss-b We're working on it now internally. (Poser 12) .. not sure when it will be released yet.

• @h-elwood-gilliland said in Just a gripe about an 'enhancement'.:

Send To Background was removed because it stopped functioning correctly, and it appeared to be a baldfaced lie. When we tested the feature upon addressing the option being missing, it appeared to create a "Process Bar" which is not really "in the background", eh?

If there was a way, in Python, to either Send to Background or Render in Queue, that has not been touched.

It only opened a Progress Bar whilst the render was being prepared, as soon as all the assets had been assembled etc, it did render in the background, exactly the same as the Render in Background menu option did / does, all you have done is remove a shortcut to "Save Settings" / "Render in Background" which is what the removed button did.

• @amethystpendant Well, then the feature is still available? We removed the button because a modification of that panel was creating issues with the UI around that button and additional enhancements that were made.

@amethystpendant Well, then the feature is still available? We removed the button because a former developer had modified that panel creating issues with the UI.

No one said it wasn't :) it just isn't where it used to be and wasn't causing an issue, unless something was changed whilst working on this release which broke it, which to my mind suggests reverting rather than removing something that worked before it was amended. It's not a biggy, but was the reason for this whole post

• @h-elwood-gilliland Thanks for the explanation as to why it was removed (necessary or not). However by removing it, an option has disappeared regarding functionality, with regards to rendering animations via the Queue Manager. As others have wondered in this thread, could you explain how do you now send an animation to the Queue Manager? A Pro feature compared to standard Poser has been removed with no option to replace it (except maybe by faffing a workaround in Python, which shouldn't be necessary).

• @raven @amethystpendant It wasn't as clean as reverting to an old version, as we have fixed bugs in that same window and that was the cause.

@miss-b We're working on it now internally. (Poser 12) .. not sure when it will be released yet.

I wasn't sure if SM was going to be doing 11.1.1.x updates indefinitely, so this is good to know. ~smile~

• @miss-b said in Just a gripe about an 'enhancement'.:

@h-elwood-gilliland said in Just a gripe about an 'enhancement'.:

@miss-b We're working on it now internally. (Poser 12) .. not sure when it will be released yet.

I wasn't sure if SM was going to be doing 11.1.1.x updates indefinitely, so this is good to know. ~smile~

I'm not as interested in when as I am in what?.. As I said before, I'm willing to bide my time and wait for Poser 12, but if I'm waiting for steak, and all you're going to serve is a ham sandwich can you see my frustration?

• Poser Ambassadors

See?
    I participated a lot in examinations, jury's , where people had to read questions and then had to give answers.
    90% of the problems start with people NOT reading or UNDERSTANDING the questions or tasks or instructions properly.

Poser11 started and came out with FireFly and SuperFly. (and a couple more, but let's stay on track here.)

FROM THE VERY START => EVERYBODY was VERY clear about SuperFly "being based on" and having the possibility to use "most" of the Cycles engine nodes.
    Never-Ever in any way, form, or shape, did any of the team or ambassadors pretend that SuperFly was equal to Cycles; It is not, and that has never been its purpose either.

Most of the time, everything that Cycles does "can" be build in SuperFly. But it is no Mc Donalds.
    You have to kook your meal yourself.

And when building a node structure => One GOLDEN Rule always shines. Keep it Stupid Simple.
    (I needed an extreme BOLD and ITALIC and DOUBLE UNDERLINE for the above)

If I think I need more then 5 nodes? => I backtrack to do it with 3.

• Poser Ambassadors

Ach, that time out.

One can use an extremely complicated or a Stupid Simple node structure?
    The end result is ALWAYS the same. => A single RGB value for each pixel to render.

All nodes do is add, remove, add, remove, add, remove until you have that single RGB/Pixel value.