Just a gripe about an 'enhancement'.

• @rlowens68 Oh! That reminds me. On macOS, they still haven't fixed the missing modifier keys which should be displayed in the Shortcuts dialog.
    0_1547213822361_Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 12.35.15 am.png
    Those '+' signs on the right are supposed to be interposed between visible modifiers as appear in the Menus:
    0_1547213905222_Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 12.35.37 am.png

I spent a while previously proving that there was no valid reason why the symbols representing the Mac Cmd, Shift and Option keys shouldn't be displayed. I was even able to use the Apple Symbol font and Poser Pro's Text Tool to create an appropriate Cmd symbol.

0_1547214137809_Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 3.09.03 am.png
    This is what it used to look like in build 33971, and still should.

• Poser Team

@eclark1849 This has already been removed in a future release. (RDNA)

• Poser Team

Send To Background was removed because it stopped functioning correctly, and it appeared to be a baldfaced lie. When we tested the feature upon addressing the option being missing, it appeared to create a "Process Bar" which is not really "in the background", eh?

If there was a way, in Python, to either Send to Background or Render in Queue, that has not been touched.

• Poser Team

@miss-b We're working on it now internally. (Poser 12) .. not sure when it will be released yet.

• @h-elwood-gilliland said in Just a gripe about an 'enhancement'.:

Send To Background was removed because it stopped functioning correctly, and it appeared to be a baldfaced lie. When we tested the feature upon addressing the option being missing, it appeared to create a "Process Bar" which is not really "in the background", eh?

If there was a way, in Python, to either Send to Background or Render in Queue, that has not been touched.

It only opened a Progress Bar whilst the render was being prepared, as soon as all the assets had been assembled etc, it did render in the background, exactly the same as the Render in Background menu option did / does, all you have done is remove a shortcut to "Save Settings" / "Render in Background" which is what the removed button did.

• Poser Team

@amethystpendant Well, then the feature is still available? We removed the button because a modification of that panel was creating issues with the UI around that button and additional enhancements that were made.

@amethystpendant Well, then the feature is still available? We removed the button because a former developer had modified that panel creating issues with the UI.

No one said it wasn't :) it just isn't where it used to be and wasn't causing an issue, unless something was changed whilst working on this release which broke it, which to my mind suggests reverting rather than removing something that worked before it was amended. It's not a biggy, but was the reason for this whole post

• @h-elwood-gilliland Thanks for the explanation as to why it was removed (necessary or not). However by removing it, an option has disappeared regarding functionality, with regards to rendering animations via the Queue Manager. As others have wondered in this thread, could you explain how do you now send an animation to the Queue Manager? A Pro feature compared to standard Poser has been removed with no option to replace it (except maybe by faffing a workaround in Python, which shouldn't be necessary).

• Poser Team

@raven @amethystpendant It wasn't as clean as reverting to an old version, as we have fixed bugs in that same window and that was the cause.

@miss-b We're working on it now internally. (Poser 12) .. not sure when it will be released yet.

I wasn't sure if SM was going to be doing 11.1.1.x updates indefinitely, so this is good to know. ~smile~

• @miss-b said in Just a gripe about an 'enhancement'.:

@h-elwood-gilliland said in Just a gripe about an 'enhancement'.:

I wasn't sure if SM was going to be doing 11.1.1.x updates indefinitely, so this is good to know. ~smile~

I'm not as interested in when as I am in what?.. As I said before, I'm willing to bide my time and wait for Poser 12, but if I'm waiting for steak, and all you're going to serve is a ham sandwich can you see my frustration?

• Poser Ambassadors

See?
    I participated a lot in examinations, jury's , where people had to read questions and then had to give answers.
    90% of the problems start with people NOT reading or UNDERSTANDING the questions or tasks or instructions properly.

Poser11 started and came out with FireFly and SuperFly. (and a couple more, but let's stay on track here.)

FROM THE VERY START => EVERYBODY was VERY clear about SuperFly "being based on" and having the possibility to use "most" of the Cycles engine nodes.
    Never-Ever in any way, form, or shape, did any of the team or ambassadors pretend that SuperFly was equal to Cycles; It is not, and that has never been its purpose either.

Most of the time, everything that Cycles does "can" be build in SuperFly. But it is no Mc Donalds.
    You have to kook your meal yourself.

And when building a node structure => One GOLDEN Rule always shines. Keep it Stupid Simple.
    (I needed an extreme BOLD and ITALIC and DOUBLE UNDERLINE for the above)

If I think I need more then 5 nodes? => I backtrack to do it with 3.

• Poser Ambassadors

Ach, that time out.

One can use an extremely complicated or a Stupid Simple node structure?
    The end result is ALWAYS the same. => A single RGB value for each pixel to render.

All nodes do is add, remove, add, remove, add, remove until you have that single RGB/Pixel value.

• @vilters said in Just a gripe about an 'enhancement'.:

See?
    I participated a lot in examinations, jury's , where people had to read questions and then had to give answers.
    90% of the problems start with people NOT reading or UNDERSTANDING the questions or tasks or instructions properly.

Poser11 started and came out with FireFly and SuperFly. (and a couple more, but let's stay on track here.)

FROM THE VERY START => EVERYBODY was VERY clear about SuperFly "being based on" and having the possibility to use "most" of the Cycles engine nodes.
    Never-Ever in any way, form, or shape, did any of the team or ambassadors pretend that SuperFly was equal to Cycles; It is not, and that has never been its purpose either.

While I hate to make it sound like I'm calling anyone a liar, Tony, as they say a lie of omission is still a lie. I don't think anyone was lying but you're certainly making it sound as that was the intent all along.

The thread that Nerd3D started is still alive on Rendo so anyone can go and read what the intent was. And you are right, SuperFly was presented as "based on Cycles". So far though, I'm having difficulty finding eactly where the point of having the possibility to use "most" of the Cycles engine nodes. was discussed.

• Also, I know I seem to be the only person who views this negatively. And f that's the case, then obviously those missing nodes don't mean that much to many people. Apparently, just to me. But as I have stated, I do get around online. I search the web looking for places to add to my Poser directory. And I have found places that make props and objects with Blender, using Cycles, and they even give out freebies that Poser can import and use. I don't include them because Poser can't read .Blend files which almost all the files are in. And even if, as I do, you have Blender and can open the .Blend files, they often contain nodes which are missing in Poser, so you can't quite rebuild the shader.

• @eclark1849 I haven't done enough "comparing" between Cycles and SuperFly, but the one node I'd really like to see in SuperFly is the Principled BSDF shader. This, however, is relatively new to Blender with version 2.79b, so I can't blame the SM team for not including it.

That said, however, I'd LOVE it, if it were included with Poser 12. ~wink~

• @miss-b said in Just a gripe about an 'enhancement'.:

@eclark1849 I haven't done enough "comparing" between Cycles and SuperFly, but the one node I'd really like to see in SuperFly is the Principled BSDF shader. This, however, is relatively new to Blender with version 2.79b, so I can't blame the SM team for not including it.

That said, however, I'd LOVE it, if it were included with Poser 12. ~wink~

Actually, Ghostship's Ubershader is a good work around for the Principled BSDF shader. I've made other references in this forum to the missing nodes, so if I can find the links, I'll post one for you, so you can read my concerns.

• @eclark1849 Yes, I have his Shader set, and yes I like it as well.

• Poser Team

@miss-b If we spend any time "on cycles", we'd be spending that time making it more of a module and less of an embed.

• @h-elwood-gilliland I'm not thinking of the whole Cycles system in Poser. What I was hoping for was another SuperFly node like the new Principled BSDF node in Cycles. I can certainly understand not wanting to transplant the whole Cycles system into Poser.