Logos or words on 3-D objects possible inside Poser?

• I am an extreme newb. I created a cup and imported it into Poser. First I obviously got the scale off. I am assuming I can adjust that during the import? Does it matter if I import it at 9%? Does the default object size matter with the file size?

Anyways, I wanted to add a logo that would wrap at least partially around the cup. When I attempt to do it in the material room it looks like the cup on the right. The cup on the left gives you an idea what I am trying to do but obviously perspective is all off, I added it later. I am not much of an artist but I am interested in learning. I would prefer to save it as an object in Poser so I could reuse the logo cup later.

If anybody would kindly point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. I am using Poser 10. Thanks

0_1547451975011_cups2.jpg

• @nopose Yes, just scale it down when you import. Then save the object as a prop in your prop's menu. The cup has to be UV mapped prior to import so you can map a texture onto it's surface.

here is a little tute series for Blender.

• Something I do when working in Blender, which is my modeling program of choice, is to export a Poser figure into my modeler as an obj, then scale whatever I am making to the same size as that figure. When I export that object or prop back into Poser it is the correct scale. This technique should work regardless of whichever program you are using.

As for putting the image on the cup... as Ghostship said, you need to UV map the object in your modeling program first.

• Excellent, thanks everybody.

• @eclark1849 said in Logos or words on 3-D objects possible inside Poser?:

Something I do when working in Blender, which is my modeling program of choice, is to export a Poser figure into my modeler as an obj, then scale whatever I am making to the same size as that figure. When I export that object or prop back into Poser it is the correct scale. This technique should work regardless of whichever program you are using.

As for putting the image on the cup... as Ghostship said, you need to UV map the object in your modeling program first.

I do something similar, but whatever I import into Blender from Poser, V4 for instance, I scale * 100 (making sure I apply the scale loc rot after the scaling operation) then I have a saved export set that exports at a scale of 0.01. That way I am not working at very small blender scale so things like inflate / shrinkwrap / sculpt have useful limits that can be applied when using Blender Units as the values for offsets etc.

• @amethystpendant said in Logos or words on 3-D objects possible inside Poser?:

@eclark1849 said in Logos or words on 3-D objects possible inside Poser?:

Something I do when working in Blender, which is my modeling program of choice, is to export a Poser figure into my modeler as an obj, then scale whatever I am making to the same size as that figure. When I export that object or prop back into Poser it is the correct scale. This technique should work regardless of whichever program you are using.

I do something similar, but whatever I import into Blender from Poser, V4 for instance, I scale * 100 (making sure I apply the scale loc rot after the scaling operation) then I have a saved export set that exports at a scale of 0.01. That way I am not working at very small blender scale so things like inflate / shrinkwrap / sculpt have useful limits that can be applied when using Blender Units as the values for offsets etc.

You can do that too. I just prefer a direct import, so when I export evreything's the same. If something is off, I haven't noticed it. And most of the time, I don't want to have to move anything since my figure will be wearing or riding whatever the prop is when I import it.

You can do that too. I just prefer a direct import, so when I export evreything's the same. If something is off, I haven't noticed it. And most of the time, I don't want to have to move anything since my figure will be wearing or riding whatever the prop is when I import it.

So do mine, what I was getting at is that if you work at poser scale in blender, i.e. you scale things down to match a poser figure imported in to blender at poser size, then offsets, which are in BU, i.e. 1m (quite a reasonable scale!) are really small too as in 1mm , 0.001 BU will be much larger when imported back in to Poser. Perhaps 100 x is too much and 10 x would be sufficient. But I wasn't saying you should do it, only that, that is what I do, and providing it as a potential method for the OP.

• Just wanted to thank everybody again and show you all what I ended up with. I am happy with the result and as I said I am not much of an artist but now I have a custom prop to use. I was even able to color the inside of the cup the way some ceramics are glazed. However, for some unknown reason, it looks blue and not off/white as I wanted it. Was thinking about adding some coffee stains to the bottom of it yet.

Considering yesterday was the first I heard the term "UV mapping" I am thrilled to have learned something new. At my age, it gets harder to learn new things. So thanks to everybody and your suggestions to help keep my brain functioning.

0_1547556965234_Untitled.jpg

• @nopose Excellent, its always good to achieve something new! If you take a screen shot of your material for the inside we might be able to help with that too ;)

Amanda

• @amethystpendant I think the color problem is my lack of understanding of the material room. I have not figured what everything does. I did accidentally make them clear plastic looking like a cheap frosted mug lol and at one point I had the insides glowing. I am sure if I read the manual I can figure the rest out. I am close enough to what I wanted. For the main reason of this thread, it is mission accomplished. I did watch a video on the material room but I think the guy gave some bad info. Thanks.

• @nopose said in Logos or words on 3-D objects possible inside Poser?:

@amethystpendant I think the color problem is my lack of understanding of the material room. I have not figured what everything does. I did accidentally make them clear plastic looking like a cheap frosted mug lol and at one point I had the insides glowing. I am sure if I read the manual I can figure the rest out. I am close enough to what I wanted. For the main reason of this thread, it is mission accomplished. I did watch a video on the material room but I think the guy gave some bad info. Thanks.

While SM does have some good videos and webinars that you can use to learn how to use Poser , I actually have to say that I find Mark Bremmer's Renderosity series to be better instructionally for explaining things, particularly to new users.

You should check it out. https://www.renderosity.com/mod/tutorial_premium/?section_id=1&oldest=&page_number=4

• @eclark1849 I should also add that I find people challenging everything I say lately, so let me re iterate that the last post was merely an expression of my opinion, and should not be taken as fact. Your experience and understanding may, and in fact, most likely will, differ from my own.

@eclark1849 I should also add that I find people challenging everything I say lately, so let me re iterate that the last post was merely an expression of my opinion, and should not be taken as fact. Your experience and understanding may, and in fact, most likely will, differ from my own.

Just keeping you on your toes, no offence meant! :0)

• @amethystpendant said in Logos or words on 3-D objects possible inside Poser?:

@eclark1849 said in Logos or words on 3-D objects possible inside Poser?:

@eclark1849 I should also add that I find people challenging everything I say lately, so let me re iterate that the last post was merely an expression of my opinion, and should not be taken as fact. Your experience and understanding may, and in fact, most likely will, differ from my own.

Just keeping you on your toes, no offence meant! :0)

You have nothing to apologize for. I was referring to other postings I've made in the past month of so. I've actually avoided making posts over the last few weeks because I was afraid somebody was going to take it the wrong way. However, your post does kind of prove my point. :)