Does anyone use Reality 4 for Poser?

• Yep still use reality to lux, if you managed to get superfly working with AMD cards and a pause button, I'd completely jump ship to Superfly.

• I do sometimes.

• @h-elwood-gilliland said in Does anyone use Reality 4 for Poser?:

experiments with LuxCoreRender

Yup. used it a lot (LuxRender) with Blender before they had cycles Purchased Reality for Poser,tried it, removed it the next day. Today,only really worth it for AMD card users who cant fully enjoy SuperFly I guess.

• I tired it in poser 2014 and even installed the updated version in poser11 pro. However found is was slowing down loading textures, even when I had no intention of using it. Found this particularly annoying when trying out different character textures, so uninstalled it.

• I used to exclusively use Luxrender via Reality to render all my poser scenes until PP11 and SuperFly. The only two reasons why I switched were for less texture management and CUDA rendering. At the time of PP11's release, Lux still didn't fully support GPU rendering without strange issues. I don't know if it's changed since way back then but that was a big deal for me.

With the version of Cycles that Poser is using, I still think that Luxrender's unbiased render engine produces superior images if you know what you're doing, but I've found that getting decent (not great) results with SuperFly is easier.

Things like resuming renders, being able to post process by turning on or off lights, changing colors, I miss it so much but the convenience of SuperFly can't be denied. But the more time that goes on, the less that will be an advantage as Lux improves and PP11's SuperFly stagnates.

I just went back to my old renders and found one of my first things I put up online from lux, yeah it's poop but luxrender's ability to produce great looking metal always amazes me and it even makes Pauline look pretty good:

0_1547764123926_PaulineTeen1.jpg

The only issue I'm having now is that python is randomly spewing out errors about Reality. Not from my current PP11 install but from my old PP2014 install even thought it's not on my system anymore.

• Poser Ambassadors

I have version 3, but never upgraded to 4. Lux is a great render engine, if you have a very fast computer.

Lux has been available for Poser for a long time.
    Pose2Lux, the wx version of it that Snarly wrote, and Reality.
    Pose2Lux sort of vanished thou.

• I stopped using Lux when I upgraded to superfly. What I really liked was I could enroll other PC's to help out with a render, rather than Q manager that just renders on the one box. Hated that all the material info etc was contained in one line of the file, and it was huge (though it did make it easy to get rid of it if there was an issue!) Agree that the interactive adjustment of lighting etc was excellent.

• Poser Team

Today in the lab... (Something I did today to test some adjustments to the path feature)

Yeah so there is also LuxRenderDS, also missing/gone/deleted by author. I'm trying to find out more about how these two can be made compatible.

LuxCoreRender is constantly updated, modular, and works with Blender. For those shader gurus out there, can you imagine a way to use Python scripts in your ShaderNode Heirarchy in Poser to spit out blender/lux/other renderer compatible data? Maybe this is a way to bring Poser closer to other renderers? Thoughts...?

• Sometimes for me as well

Today in the lab... (Something I did today to test some adjustments to the path feature)

Yeah so there is also LuxRenderDS, also missing/gone/deleted by author. I'm trying to find out more about how these two can be made compatible.

LuxCoreRender is constantly updated, modular, and works with Blender. For those shader gurus out there, can you imagine a way to use Python scripts in your ShaderNode Heirarchy in Poser to spit out blender/lux/other renderer compatible data? Maybe this is a way to bring Poser closer to other renderers? Thoughts...?

FFS no!!!!!!!

Cycles is the way to go, rip out support for Poser Surface if you must but do not drop Superfly for Lux

• I did use it once, but like others on here, I stopped using it once SuperFly came to town. Considering my renders are for my games... I couldn't justify how long it took for Reality to render.

• @h-elwood-gilliland That walk reminds me of this:
    0_1547869517676_keep-on-truckin.jpg

Something I've suggested before over the years. Poser should have pre-defined paths in it's library. They should have control points so you can change their shape and layout. and be scalable, at least along the x and y axis.

• @h-elwood-gilliland this looks like preparation for stair ascent and descent. All that's missing is an animation layer to add a constant bend to the feet, and you could be descending a flight of stairs.
    0_1547876336583_Andy2 Back Flip_0001.gif

• Having luxrender compatibility would be cool. It is IMHO better than superfly, marginally. But don't have it have it replace superfly. It takes too long for most people. And better support for dynamic hair would be needed. That's a big reason why I don't use luxrender more. Both posetolux and reality support it, but it's in such a matter that it's guaranteed to crash my computer. I don't have a top of the line machine, but it can't be that bad if I can render 40 people in other render engines.

• Poser Ambassadors

I have Reality 4. I like Lux' resume feature, allowing one to resume rendering if the halt condition was set too low.
    I also like the ability to spread a render over a network, with all available computers contributing samples to the render.
    I don't know how to manipulate materials for Lux as I can for Superfly, though, and that's a critical issue for me.

I'd like to have those two features (resume render button, and networked rendering of a singleton) added to Superfly.

• Poser Ambassadors

I really don't think that Luxrender is the way to go for Poser. No need to add more features like that.

• @ghostman said in Does anyone use Reality 4 for Poser?:

I really don't think that Luxrender is the way to go for Poser. No need to add more features like that.

And lose the last 2 years of learning cycles/superfly no way. Please listen to your users, we want better cycles not a totally new, probably badly implemented, render engine. If you want to modularise rather than embed cycles, great, but please, please, please don't drop superfly for lux!

• @amethystpendant said in Does anyone use Reality 4 for Poser?:

And lose the last 2 years of learning cycles/superfly no way. Please listen to your users, we want better cycles not a totally new, probably badly implemented, render engine. If you want to modularise rather than embed cycles, great, but please, please, please don't drop superfly for lux!

I agree whole heartedly. It's taken a number of years for me to get used to working with SuperFly, and now that I'm comfortable with it, I don't want to lose it.

• Poser Ambassadors

Here is my contribution to this very useful tread.

How many cars do you need?
    Because you can only drive with one at the time so better choose a proven render engine and increase its performance.

Bring SuperFly up to full cycles specs, (including AMD support) , include the Principled BSDF, and their new hair shader and make it work on a much improved hair room.

For the hair room?
    We absolutely need a symmetry function, scissors, and better styling tools.. (and a work around for bug 35615...….) (extra prop, obj file split at ave, you know.)

More important however is to increase the quality of the current Poser Preview render engine so why not upgrade to Eevee at the same time and get a proper real time preview render engine that we know works best with Cycles.

We don't always need "more", but most would agree we need "better".

Conclusion :
    Bring SuperFly up to full Cycles specs, and replace the current preview render engine with Eevee.

The Population of the Universe will be thankful.

Best regards, Tony