Fitting Room question

• I use the fitting room to convert clothing between characters...with some fine tuning from the morph tool. This typically works well for things like shirts, pants, and other form fitting items. However, it all goes to crap when it comes to skirts or items with handles/extra bones.

Are there any tricks for fitting things like that, or perhaps a guide somewhere?

• @doc000
    Did you read the Poser manual?
    You can set the weights of the various fit operations for the various parts of the garments. Obviously you will want to exclude the handles and fit a wide skirt only at the waist.
    You can skip the fitting bit if you take care of the reshaping yourself. The Prefitter-cr2 (in my store on Renderosity) offers generic morphs to reshape a V4 garment around various figures without shrinking it on. (laFemme expansion is in the making).
    Be sure to read the documentation before buying.

• @fverbaas
    I've been watching some tutorial videos of the fitting room, but I have yet to find one that tackles fitting a skirt to a new figure. I'll take a read back through the manual, and take a look at your product.

Thanks.

• If you are trying to fit clothing to PE, then there is a mannequin set on sale with includes a figure with a skirt to help you. RobZhena produced a freebie based on this for Pauline (I think you might need to have the PE version installed for this to work.) I've used both with varying degrees of success.
    Without these it is pretty easy to stop the skirt collapsing in around the character by setting the weight maps of the skirt to zero when fitting. The real problem is after that, trying to have the skirt parts grouped and rigged as the original. The manual as far as I recall just says use the group editor. Unfortunately that's something I've never managed to master, so apart from PE and Pauline I've never converted long skirts.
    So that is where the experts on here could help I think.

• @j-naylor73 said in Fitting Room question:

The real problem is after that, trying to have the skirt parts grouped and rigged as the original. The manual as far as I recall just says use the group editor. Unfortunately that's something I've never managed to master, so apart from PE and Pauline I've never converted long skirts.

That's the part that's the problem...keeping the skirt a skirt after conversion. Most of the time, when I convert something, I use scaling/translation on the clothing to get it into the correct position to fit the character, then use only a few iterations in the fitting room to just get it started and create the conforming item for the new character, then do the real fitting with the morph tool.

Like I said, it works great for form fitting clothing, but skirts and stuff with extra bones are typically a no go. Usually, if it's just a skirt by itself, I can just conform it to the character I'm using and then use the morph tool to fit it without using the fitting room. Most of the time, unless it's grouped really funky, that works fine. But dresses and other clothing items where the skirt is part of the whole...not so much.

• I don’t know how to rig anything outside the fitting room. To transfer skirt bones, you need a donor rig, which is what Ero’s mannequin for PE (and my kludge for Pauline) provide. I’m not sure that such a donor rig exists for a dress from forearms to skirt hem for even a well supported figure like Dawn (adapting the mannequin didn’t work out because Dawn has two abdomen and chest parts). I’ve found nothing for Miki 4, and her rigging is so arcane that I can’t even kludge a solution. Zippo for Pauline full-dress donors, and so far for La Femme, so far as I know.

However, there are two work-arounds I use, field solutions and improvisations . First, I find that you can conform V4 clothing to most figures and move the hip (usually forward and up), do some scaling and posing, and milk the built-in morphs to fit most figures (including PE, La Femme, Pauline, and Miki 4; Mariko is one I recall is tough). A fitting room solution exploits DAZ’s fascination during the V4 era for movement morphs instead of extra bones. Run your garment through the fitting room and add no bones below the hip. The skirt will come out all hip. Now copy the morphs from a morph-rich V4 outfit like the beloved morphing fantasy dress. You’ll even get a sitting morph out of that one! I usually copy morphs from a similar DAZ-made V4 dress even when I have skirt bones so that I also have movement and sitting morphs, as well as various full and partial body morphs that can be useful. They usually work fine.

• Something I've done, that works for me is to fit the dress with the morph brush before going into the hide all the handles before going into the fitting room. You can also fit the dress in the fitting room but I'm more comfortable the other way. Hiding the handles will cause the geometry not to transfer. Then use the auto-grouping and only transfer bones from the hip up. The whole skirt will then be part of the hip and use the cloth room and drape it. I know this method won't work for everybody. Some people don't like the auto grouping, though, for personal use, it seems good. And some people don't like the cloth room. I just thought I'd put this out there in case you don't get a better option.

• Thanks for suggestions, I'll give them a try sometime.

• @robzhena said in Fitting Room question:

Run your garment through the fitting room and add no bones below the hip. The skirt will come out all hip. Now copy the morphs from a morph-rich V4 outfit like the beloved morphing fantasy dress. You’ll even get a sitting morph out of that one! I usually copy morphs from a similar DAZ-made V4 dress even when I have skirt bones so that I also have movement and sitting morphs, as well as various full and partial body morphs that can be useful. They usually work fine.

So you're basically faking skirt functionality by copying morphs from a real skirt? That thought had not even occured to me. I'll have to give that a try...thanks.