PC spec priorities for Poser

• As others have said, look to Ryzen. Keep in mind however that the 3rd generation of Ryzen will launch real soon (Not DAZ Soon). Good news is that whatever Ryzen motherboard you get will take a 3rd generation Ryzen, since they will be socket compatible. I'd call 16Gb or ram a minimum. You don't want to starve the system while rendering.

• @j-naylor73 (and everyone else who has replied so far!)

I set up a render last night and recorded the following:
    CPU utilisation throughout was averaging around 92% whilst RAM was around 50% so that does point the finger at what you've all been suggesting...

For the record (although I don't fully understand this subject), I also recorded the CPU stats:
    Processes=156 / Threads=1820 / Handles=63950
    Base speed 2.66GHz / Sockets=1 / Cores=4
    Logical processes=4 / L1 cache=256KB / L2 cache = 6.0MB
    (Looks like I might have some Googling to do.)

I'll check the Memory and GPU stats next when I'm rotating my jerky camera...
    Many thanks for your support so far - it's really appreciated and most welcome!

RSK.

• @ssgbryan

Hi - one more word (I hope) from me on this -

I've found a couple of PC models that are within budget, each with 16Gb RAM and a 6Gb GPU, also within my budget (and some nice SSD to boot).
    The only difference is CPU:
    Its: AMD Ryzen 7 7200 vs Intel Core i7-8700
    I've been into specs comparisons and can only see minor pros and cons here and there.

Based on your and anyone else's experience, what's your gut-feeling between the 2?

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/964/AMD_Ryzen_7_2700_vs_Intel_Core_i7_i7-8700.html

I'm thinking the Ryzen, but really appreciate your opinion. Thanks!!
    RSK

• Poser Team

I would mention that choosing a Ryzen versus and Intel would save you money but I've had problems with AMD chips claiming a lot but . The machine I currently use at work is an Hp Omen desktop (mid-range of the line, about $800USD) and the one I use at home is a custom-built Intel-based (Core i9, MSI Motherboard latest X299A or whatever) machine with dual GTX 750Ti (non-SLI) for supporting a large number of monitors, dual M.2 and additional SSDs for projects that require a lot of disk. .... personally if I were you I'd buy an HP Omen (or similar prepackaged gaming PC) at a good rate, like this one:
    000 lnk broke 000
    link is busted, try this:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Omen-Gaming-Tower-Intel-Core-i7-7700-Nvidia-Qtx-1070-8GB-Graphic-Card-16GB-Memory-256GB-SSD-1TB-HD-Windows-10-home-870-213w/197665204

or, save some money and upgrade later:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbished-HP-Slim-270-p043w-DesktopTower-Intel-Core-i3-7100-Processor-8GB-Memory-1TB-Hard-Drive-Wireless-Keyboard-and-Mouse-Windows-10/406121403
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-OMEN-Gaming-Desktop-Tower-Intel-Core-i5-7400-Processor-12GB-Memory-1TB-128GB-SSD-Hard-Drive-4GB-AMD-RX-580-GDDR5-Graphics-DTX-Headphone-X-Audio-Ke/936318398

PS I do not work for nor am endorsed by HP!

PPS Don't forget you can use your old machine to render to...

• @rsk

In modern versions of Poser (and just about every other piece of software), cores are more important than single core operating frequency. It isn't 1991 anymore. The Ryzen is faster, with more cores and cache, at the same power draw.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the AM4 socket set will be supported through at least the next generation of Ryzen, so moving from 2nd gen to 3rd gen is a simple drop in (and probably a bios update). Intel will move to a new socket (because of an upcoming die shrink - And this time Intel really, really means it!, requiring a motherboard replacement.

• I must respectfully disagree with ssgbryan over this to some extent. While cores are more important for rendering, for almost everything else in poser single core performance is more relevant. Just look at resource monitor while simple moving the camera around the screen. You will find a single thread running at 100% while the remainder are idle. No it's not 1991, but a lot of poser code seems to be from about this period, and only runs single threaded. So for general responsiveness single thread performance is important.

• I use a Ryzen7. The single thread Performance is a bit lower than the I7-7700 (Intel about 13% faster), but when Rendering the Ryzen is about 75% faster. I don't have any problems when posing, IMHO the single core speed is not that important.

• @rsk

As above guys suggested or recommended I would go with Ryzen, I would wait as AMD preparing release of 3xxx series and with 3xxx there should be 16 core/32 thread Ryzen, if not then 12 core/24 threads

AM4 will be supported until Zen2 and X570 series of motherboard should bring us PCI_E 4th generation etc

If you do render then I wouldn't think on Intel CPU unless you are prepared to spend money, Intel chips usually cost more and performance in rendering depending on SW and mainly on developers and Microsoft itself

16GB RAM should be minimum, 32GB I would recommend

@h-elwood-gilliland

Not sure but I have built few Ryzen based PC which are mainly rendering workstations, for money you are hardly find better chips, Microsoft still didn't fixed Core scheduler for their ThreadRipper

Buying prebuilt PC I wouldn't do, you can built own PC for lot less, yours posted HP Omen PC are using non K models, spec is meh, for same amount of OP should be built better PC, you can check render speeds of these CPU like is 7700 or 7100 etc

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

• @jura11 Thank you for your reply...

...and thanks to everyone else who has taken time to give advice about this subject. I must admit that a few things went flying over my head so fast I didn't notice them. :)

For me, budget is the main driver so although I realise things like 32Gb RAM is recommended, I simply can't afford it!

I've found some affordable machines though with the Ryzen processor mentioned throughout this thread + a GPU which is way better than the one I have now and 16Gb RAM, lots of HDD + some SSD which is nice to have - all coming in under the £1K mark.

Anyway, lots for me to ponder, but loads of new info from all of you to help me.

Thanks again,
    RSK.

• Glad we could help. And remember, you can always add ram later.

• @ssgbryan said in PC spec priorities for Poser:

Glad we could help. And remember, you can always add ram later.

As long as you don't fill all the slots, i.e get 2x8Gb modules rather than 4x4Gb to get 16Gb that way you can add extra without having to throw away what you already have.

• Poser Team

Why argue? What is valuable to you:
    https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-9900K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X/4028vs3958
    (Ignore the "user rating")

Intel scores "superior" in all categories except price. Not much different from the last AMD processor. Power users could do more for all applications.

• @h-elwood-gilliland said in PC spec priorities for Poser:

Why argue? What is valuable to you:
    https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-9900K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X/4028vs3958
    (Ignore the "user rating")

Intel scores "superior" in all categories except price. Not much different from the last AMD processor. Power users could do more for all applications.

CPU userbenchmark is bit misleading website

Off course 9900k is better CPU, it can be OC to 5.0GHz and 5.2GHz easily, have built one PC with that CPU and our best OC has been 5.2GHz, but it cost twice as 2700X

2700 from AMD is too well worth it if budget is lower and you are not looking to OC

I would have suggest check these benchmarks

https://www.cgdirector.com/cinebench-scores-updated/

https://corona-renderer.com/benchmark/results/cpu/9900k

https://corona-renderer.com/benchmark/results/cpu/2700x

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

• @amethystpendant That's a good call - thanks for the reminder. Of course I know about this but I always forget when I'm buying the PC! :)

• Poser Team

I wouldn't worry too much about 32GB versus 16GB. 64GB is just way out of the box anyway.

• @h-elwood-gilliland 64GB RAM?? Man alive! I still remember upgrading my Atari 800 from 16K to 48K. Happy times.
    Anyway, FYI, I'm going with 32K RAM - they added it at a good price and only blew my budget a bit...

• From the £ signs I assume you're in the UK; have a think about a refurbished workstation, https://www.bargainhardware.co.uk/dell-precision-t7610-twr-configure-to-order. The configuration options will be limited by what they have in stock, but if you're careful you can put together a real beast of a thing on the sort of budget you mentioned.

• Poser Ambassadors

You need processor cores and enough RAM so that you'll never approach that limit.

Be mindful that your usage habits may become more ambitious as you gain experience, so that you use more memory a few years from now.
    I have exceeded 64GB total system memory in use while rendering in Poser, albeit with a massive scene using complex materials and tight render settings, at large pixel dimensions. TinkerBell has 96GB RAM, so not a problem.

I second the advice by @MrPunch and will add that you should look specifically for a used workstation with dual CPUs. These will have sockets for two processors on the motherboard. It's a great way to instantly double the total number of rendering cores. As far as I know, only Xeon processors can run in parallel.
    0_1549736923587_SUPERMICRO MBD-X8DTL-i-O Dual 1366 ATX sized mobo 200%.jpg

The (used) X5675 Xeons in my workstation Urania cost $32 (US) each; they are HyperThreaded hex core, factory clocked at 3.06GHz (w/ 3.46GHz turbo). So, for $64 I have twenty four render threads clocked at 3.06GHz.
    The X5675 is one of several Westmere series Xeon processors which are H/T hex core and use the 1366 socket:
    0_1549737277423_Westmere clockspeeds.PNG

If you buy a used workstation, I would replace any hard drives with new ones. An Acronis license will let you make a compressed backup of the existing hard drive (including the Windows installation) and mirror it to the new hard drive.

If you need a Windows license, shop for an OEM license (not the retail version in a jewel box).

Be wary of used video cards; it may have been run to near death by a Bitcoin miner.

• Poser Ambassadors

TinkerBell is a T7500 chassis; Tink has dual X5690 Xeon processors (24 threads at 3.46GHz), 96GB RAM, and a 12GB nVidia Titan Z video card.
    0_1549740495965_TinkerBell T7500 - rendering.jpg

• @seachnasaigh

Dual CPU Xeon LGA1366 are not worth the money,yes off course they're 12 core/24 thread but these CPU scores in Cinebench less than Ryzen 2700/2700X or X99 5960X these CPU scores in Cinebench easy 1700CB points,in other render engines these CPU are still better than any dual Xeon LGA1366,8700k scores with 5.2GHz somewhere around 1600-1700CB and this CPU is 6 core/12 thread

2700/2700X I would choose without the question as this CPU can be bought for £249 for 2700 and £280-£300 for 2700X

This is my,its 5960X which now can be bought for £300,MB for around £100-£150 and RAM this depends,I'm running 96GB still can be upgraded to 128GB,on this picture I'm still running only 3GPUs,now I'm running 4GPUs and different motherboard ASRock X99 WS

alt text

alt text

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura