Importance of video card with firefly?

• I am a noob still trying to learn Poser 10. Believe it or not, I have done photo and video editing on my old homebuilt machine. It's only an AMD A10 5800k with onboard graphics. It does not do bad except for when I render glass and reflective objects in Poser. Then it brings my system to its knees. I will someday get the pro version of 11 but only after learning more and when I can afford a new system. For now, though I am on a budget.

I was thinking about getting a graphics card to max out my system hoping it would help until I can replace it. I Don't want to spend much, stay under $200. I don't plan on transferring any card I buy now into a new system later. So I was thinking about getting the biggest memory card for the money. So that would get me an RX 580 with 8gb of ram or a 1060 with 6gb. I know pro versions of Poser I should go with Nvidia. However, is there any reason I should pick one over the other for Poser 10 using firefly? Will adding a card help or is rendering done mostly with my CPU? I noticed as lame as my system is it is still way above the minimum specs for the current version I am running. Or perhaps I could try running Poser 11 pro on this system with a Cuda core card? What is everybody's experience on this?

• As you realise, video cards do not help in rendering at all with Firefly, the limiting factor is your cpu. Poser pro can only use the gpu for rendering with Superfly. Also it currently can't use turing cards (eg RTX 2000 series, and probably the GTX1660ti and other gtx 1600 cards that may be released,) or amd cards so unless the poser devs come up with something poser pro may lose its gpu rendering functionality with all new machines as the gtx10 series are phased out.

• Ok thanks, So it looks like I should either spend nothing or upgrade both Poser and get a 1060. Kind of certain my old system would most likely could not even take full advantage of a 1060. Or perhaps get an even smaller dirt cheap card to free up the shared memory may help slightly. Its dose ok if my render settings are low. But glass always looks tinted on a lower setting and not clear. I set the settings higher to get clearer glass objects. Was running six hours on a render for a single scene and it was about half way done when I gave up. It was just a single frame, could not emagine rendering out an animation. I had no idea the RTX series do not work well with Pro. That was on my list for my eventual new build. Thanks

• If SM ports the AMD Pro Render engine plug in (Free, Open Source, and AMD will assist) from Blender to Poser, it won't matter which operating system or video card you have (it is GPU neutral - it uses the GPU(s) and CPU(s) as 1 unified render engine.
    So, join me in bugging them for it.

• @ssgbryan said in Importance of video card with firefly?:

If SM ports the AMD Pro Render engine plug in (Free, Open Source, and AMD will assist) from Blender to Poser, it won't matter which operating system or video card you have (it is GPU neutral - it uses the GPU(s) and CPU(s) as 1 unified render engine.
    So, join me in bugging them for it.

But won't that mean a totally new render engine, replacing SF? Or is that engine cycles based?

• Short:

As long as Poser requires NVidia cards for rendering, I'm not buying neither Poser11 not NVidia cards.
    I despise NVidia from the bottom of my heart, and I boycott them since almost 20 years already.

What's the problem with adding AMD support anyway?
    Bribes from NVidia???

K

• @karina

System requirements in the manual:

Windows and Mac: • OpenGL enabled graphics card or chipset recommended (recent nVIDIA GeForce and ATI Radeon required for advanced real-time preview features)

And for Poser Pro only: CUDA enabled device required for hardware accelerated final rendering (2 GB
    RAM minimum, Compute Capability 2.0 minimum)

• @amethystpendant

The plug-in has a built in converter (RPR Cycles Converter) that converts Cycles Materials to ProRender Materials (uses Uber Shader as basis). I figured it would be easier to start with Blender since Superfly is a fork of the Cycles engine.

The plug-ins for other applications (such as 3ds Max, and Maya) use those application's lights, materials, and textures, so the same could be done with Poser Pro.

• Yeah, I noticed I can render lots faster in Blender with my out of date system with better results. I keep going down the endless rabbit hole of learning multiple programs but I can't. Too much at once for me to learn. Takes me a half hour to cycles render in Blender at decent quality vs 6 hours for the same simple project in Firefly. When I follow a tutorial in Blender I import all the objects into Poser just so I can learn how to duplicate the scene in Poser. I noticed this with cloth simulations too. Blender is much faster. I think glass looks much more real in Blender but cloth simulation is probably more realistic in Poser but also more temperamental. Would be nice if the material and cloth room in Poser had presets like Blender does to make things look or act a certain way and then modify the meaningless numbers to change it more. I have been playing in Poser to make materials and saving them as I go. Just don't know why I can't use a drop-down menu instead of learning all the nodes. Unless I am missing something like I said I am a noob. At this point, I am just trying to learn and not actually trying to create anything of importance.

I am an AMD fan myself but realize that does not always work out. I am surprised that with Apple using AMD graphics in the new iMacs that it's not supported better in the Pro Version Poser. Then again it looks like my options are very limited even if I did go with Nvidia. Not cool at all. I kind of gave up on Daz for its lack of support for anything but Nvidia.

• @nopose If you want presets you can use my EZCloth however all settings are dependant on the mesh density so it isn't possible to have a "cotton" setting that will work on all cloth items

If you think the cloth sim in the current Blender is good, check out the one in Blender 2.8 (beta at the mo) it is superb!

• @amethystpendant I wonder if there's any worth in looking at a simple script to try and calculate an average mesh density for a figure or individual actor? That might provide sufficient information to adapt standard material parameters for consistent results on different clothing meshes.

Have you noticed whether whole figure scaling has a predictable or measurable effect on dynamic cloth simulations?

• @anomalaus said in Importance of video card with firefly?:

@amethystpendant I wonder if there's any worth in looking at a simple script to try and calculate an average mesh density for a figure or individual actor? That might provide sufficient information to adapt standard material parameters for consistent results on different clothing meshes.

Have you noticed whether whole figure scaling has a predictable or measurable effect on dynamic cloth simulations?

Funnily enough I have been doing some sims on a scaled down V4 recently, and the cloth sim was almost identical whether run at 100% and scaled down after the sim, or the sim run on the scaled down model.