P11 - V4/M4 - X-Ray Effect

• @raven yes! Definitely on the right track there. In my memory/imagination (absolutely unmotivated to trawl through cupboards and look at my own X-Rays/CT scans), I think that the darkest area of the bones (inner colour) should still be lighter than the lightest area of the skin/flesh. These days with digital scanning and processing of medical images, one can increase the contrast of the structures one wishes to examine, at the expense of contrast elsewhere. With Computed Tomography, noone looks at the raw data, just processed slices, but that's a long way from what one might imagine a piece of representative art will display to convey an idea.

• Now we are getting somewhere. It's not working in Superfly, though? Or did I miss something?

• @rokketman No, I'm afraid that was a Firefly render. The OP did say they weren't preferential on which renderer so I just showed that possibly the look they want could be achieved in Firefly.
    I admit to not really understanding the different Superfly nodes to get desired effects so tend to just use premade SF shaders that I can adjust, hence the Firefly render! :)

• Enjoyed this thread which started me playing. :)
    Here's a pic with some playing around with the shader to make the skeleton a different colour to the skin. The interior anatomy parts are just textured/shaded as they loaded.

0_1551447188954_xray_mike_crop.jpg

• This could lead to doing things like doing an x-ray to expose a terminator or something cool like that. Or the scene from the original Total Recall where he ran though the scanner with a gun...

• Thanks for all the posts, folks! I'll have a tinker and see what I can come up with. :)

• Oh, does anyone have a link to the Ajax shaders, please? Google doesn't seem to be my friend today, lol!

• @glen85 Here is a mat room screencap for the x-ray material.

0_1551712975814_xray_material.jpg

(This post from Ajax way back in 2005 says redistributing his shader pack is fine)

• Poser Ambassadors

That's a really confused mind that built that shader. It's going to be very difficult to control if you don't exactly want what it is precisely doing (which is largely an accident).

Translucence_Color without a lighting node plugged in (i.e a Diffuse node) is in fact acting same as Ambient_Color, just doing its own thing though. So ambience (glow) is there from two channels when it could be produced with more control by just one channel.

The Transparency has an Edge Blend plugged in, but also using its own Transparency_Edge/Falloff, which is a hidden Edge_Blend built into the PoserSurface. As a result, again, you have a double effect which is not fully controlled by either one and will be a pain to adjust properly.

The Specular Color and Value are both turned on, which means the surfaces will produce specular reflections of lights (in FireFly) and lights as well as other objects (in SuperFly). Nothing about an X-ray is justified there.

I think the first thing you have to ask yourself is do you want to work in SF or FF and then we go from there.

Second question is do you intend to use a light as your source of x-rays and then the material reacts to that light, or do you want it to just glow, and pay no attention to light sources? As well, related to that, do you expect the light (whether glow or scattered/reflected) to interact with nearby surfaces, thus producing secondary lighting? In other words, a bone can light another bone?

• Poser Ambassadors

How much realism is desired? None of the Poser shaders I've ever seen have any of the proper patterns. Imagine a human skin shader that was pure tan, with no details whatsoever. You wouldn't put up with that.

Have a look at this image - tell me, do the interior of the bones look smooth, or do they display a structure/pattern inside?

0_1551719099715_bc71b6ff-a3a4-43a8-b6a6-9486fdc3acba-image.png

• Poser Ambassadors

This is a sort-of canonical shader for the edge-blended transparency + glow. It's pretty trivial. I've put red around the key parts.

0_1551719903150_85b13033-4362-49f6-8af7-f5e8417152f3-image.png

• I'm just still playing. Here's another pic, this time with the skeleton texture's bump map added. Also a slightly different shader on the skin. Firefly again.

0_1551725310530_newxray.jpg

• Thanks for the replies, folks!
    I would be looking for a fair to good level of detail, but really fine detail isn't totally necessary, as I won't be making any close-ups (I'm going for an X-Ray pinup series idea, hence my question about clothing and other objects). Let's focus on V4/M4 for now, though.

FF or SF? Well, whichever will deliver better results! As this is to be a complete new material set, I'd be going for the best option. My gut tells me that's SF, so, if that's the case, let's go for that.

I would want the most realistic effect for the material itself (even if some artistic license is taken in the images themselves), so things like lights would only ever be used during setting up and posing, never in the render, so glows would be the option here.

Finally, bones wouldn't cast light onto each other, so that would be a no-go. I would think that simply turning IDL off would achieve this, right? Things still appear to glow but don't outwardly cast a light which can be seen on other surfaces.

• If you don't want the bones to cast shadows, you could just turn off 'Cast Shadows' in the skeleton's properties.

Hope you get it worked out for Superfly. Until then, one last play from me, again using Firefly.

0_1551974322310_clothed-xray.jpg

• Looking good, Raven, thank you! I'm currently fiddling about with gaming rig and Oculus Rift 'stuff'. i went on a bit of a spender bender and bought things I perhaps shouldn't have, but I've found that my current GPU (in my sig) isn't compatible with the Rift, so I can't use my sim rig either, until I get an upgrade. Thing is, I'm not sure about my CPU etc working with an upgraded GPU, so I'm fiddling about and doing some research, hence this little X-Ray project is paused for a little bit. Not for long, though, I hope! ;) Please keep posting ideas etc, as other folks are interested, don't just take it that I'm leaving this for good, I'm not. :P