Materials Room shortcuts with Python?

• Hi -

I have a process that I use for getting a nice skin-shine on my V4 characters by adding a new node to Specular Colour and setting various dials to a default. Trouble is, I have to repeat all of these steps for every part of the body.
    I can shortcut the node part by copying the first one and pasting it into each subsequent body part - but I still have to make the nodal connection and set up the main dials individually.
    OK - so it's not a massive job but, in other software I use like MS Excel, I would simply write some VB code and automate with a macro.

Does this sound like it's the sort of thing that could be handled with a Python script?
    I've never used Python but I've looked at the code a couple of times and it looks pretty familiar to someone who is used to VB.

Anyway, before I start learning Python to do this 1 particular job, I thought I'd check whether anyone thinks the idea is at least feasible...

Thanks!
    RSK

• Someone has already developed just a python script:
    https://www.cgbytes.com/store/sku/54044_EZSkin-3

He is probably the one you need to talk to about how to write your script. I don't have a clue about python, other than it's nice to have around.

• @rokketman said in Materials Room shortcuts with Python?:

Someone has already developed just a python script:
    https://www.cgbytes.com/store/sku/54044_EZSkin-3

He is probably the one you need to talk to about how to write your script. I don't have a clue about python, other than it's nice to have around.

@Snarlygribbly is no longer writing scripts for poser, however he did make the source for EZSkin3 available so you could use that to get the details of how to approach this. From a python point of view it is pretty trivial to add a new node to existing materials and connect it up if that is all you want to do, however you probably wouldn't want to do it to all mat zones on V4 as that would include eye zones, teeth etc.

• @rokketman Oh, wow - thanks! I'm off to check that out right now.

Oh - and thanks for the Elton John earworm I've just piked up for the rest of the afternoon! :)

• @rsk Believe me, neither Elton John nor that little bugger in North Korea were the influence for my moniker! I go by Rokket most other places, someone had just beaten me to it on here. But I wonder why I never see them posting?