OT - PC Component Compatibility Advice Needed (GPU/CPU etc)

• Hello folks!

I hope nobody minds me posting this here, but some of you folks seem very well clued up on things relating to PC building etc, and I don't really know anyone else.

The current specs for my PC are in my sig (though I have four RAM sticks now, doubling the memory, so I'll update my sig if I remember). Long story short, I bought a sim racing rig and an Oculus Rift used, on an expensive impulse. It seems my GPU doesn't work with the Rift, but I've found one which I could just about afford, which apparently does.

So, question time:

Will this GPU be compatible with my current system? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-geforce-gtx-1060-dual-oc-3072mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-40m-as.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyt7q5s714AIVjpPtCh3e5AmDEAQYAiABEgLhBPD_BwE

Will I be able to run this side-by-side with my other GPU and benefit from better general performance (such as with rendering), or will I have to put the old GPU in a box in the cupboard for a while?

Thank you for your time and sorry if it's annoying to go slightly off topic.

• @glen85 said in OT - PC Component Compatibility Advice Needed (GPU/CPU etc):

Oculus Rift

A 1060 says it will work on the site, but I would strongly recommend a 1070 at a minimum. (It has 5 more gig of memory for one)
    The 3gig 1060 cards came out after the 6 gig ones as well. 3 gig isn't a lot of memory for virtual stuff.

You can usually run both a 660 and a 10 series card at the same time.
    But you should disable CUDA on the 660 in the Nvidia driver panel since a 10 series card is far faster. (You can do this globally, or on a per program basis.)

Will both work with a rift? No clue, there have been lots of driver and Vulcan issues with Rift in the past.
    The only real way to tell would be to try it.
    And possibly read thru their forum and see what others have run into with 2 cards.
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community

• Poser Ambassadors

I'm no expert on GPU rendering, but for P11+ use, I'd think you'd want to get a GPU with as much onboard memory as possible, since that will determine your limitations on scene complexity (total number of texture image maps, total file size of image maps, etc).

One caveat I am aware of is to not mix Quadro and GeForce series cards in the same machine; the drivers use different support files which have the same name and location, so they will interfere with each other. But I think it will work to use a lesser GPU to run your monitors, and use the big CUDA card(s) to render. You'll want to disable CUDA on the monitor-driving card.
    Is that right, @shvrdavid ?

On Newegg, I see a lot of 8GB GTX1070 GPUs, $400 to $1,500. The 11GB GTX 1080i GPUs are $600 to $1550.

@shvrdavid Would these cards (GTX 1070, Gtx 1080i) be good choices for Superfly rendering?

• I have a gtx1070, it renders fine in Poser

• @seachnasaigh said in OT - PC Component Compatibility Advice Needed (GPU/CPU etc):

I'm no expert on GPU rendering, but for P11+ use, I'd think you'd want to get a GPU with as much onboard memory as possible, since that will determine your limitations on scene complexity (total number of texture image maps, total file size of image maps, etc).

One caveat I am aware of is to not mix Quadro and GeForce series cards in the same machine; the drivers use different support files which have the same name and location, so they will interfere with each other. But I think it will work to use a lesser GPU to run your monitors, and use the big CUDA card(s) to render. You'll want to disable CUDA on the monitor-driving card.
    Is that right, @shvrdavid ?

On Newegg, I see a lot of 8GB GTX1070 GPUs, $400 to $1,500. The 11GB GTX 1080i GPUs are $600 to $1550.

@shvrdavid Would these cards (GTX 1070, Gtx 1080i) be good choices for Superfly rendering?

Hi there

You can mix GeForce and Quadro GPUs in one system, I have run both GPUs on my PC, but have used modified Quadro drivers with modified INF file, I have been using Quadro 416.30 drivers for while with my GeForce GPUs

Regarding the running or powering displays with lesser GPU, its up to you, but usually Poser in very high poly scene in Poser you will see 800-1024MB VRAM usage as max

CUDA stacking works in Poser like in any CUDA based renderer, more CUDA cores faster render will be, due this if he can run multiple GPUs I would run, but there is drawback, if yours GPUs are mixed like in my case have 2x 11GB GPUs but I have two GTX1080 which are 8GB, which means, yours max VRAM or memory is 8GB, which you can use for actual rendering, simply right now you can stack VRAM with CUDA, only in newer CUDA 10 onwards with RTX you can stack memory but I think this possible only with Octane V4, didn't tried V-RAY Next

If budget allows then GTX1080Ti I would get or used Titan X Pascal(I wouldn't get Titan X Maxwell as they're not been properly optimized for SuperFly or Cycles), GTX1070Ti is another option which with good OC it can be on par with GTX1080

GTX1060 I wouldn't get, but RTX 2060 or RTX 2070 is better proposition bit sadly Poser doesn't support RTX or Turing architecture GPUs

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

• @glen85 said in OT - PC Component Compatibility Advice Needed (GPU/CPU etc):

Hello folks!

I hope nobody minds me posting this here, but some of you folks seem very well clued up on things relating to PC building etc, and I don't really know anyone else.

The current specs for my PC are in my sig (though I have four RAM sticks now, doubling the memory, so I'll update my sig if I remember). Long story short, I bought a sim racing rig and an Oculus Rift used, on an expensive impulse. It seems my GPU doesn't work with the Rift, but I've found one which I could just about afford, which apparently does.

So, question time:

Will this GPU be compatible with my current system? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-geforce-gtx-1060-dual-oc-3072mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-40m-as.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyt7q5s714AIVjpPtCh3e5AmDEAQYAiABEgLhBPD_BwE

Will I be able to run this side-by-side with my other GPU and benefit from better general performance (such as with rendering), or will I have to put the old GPU in a box in the cupboard for a while?

Thank you for your time and sorry if it's annoying to go slightly off topic.

Hi Glenn

I would get as @shvrdavid recommend get GTX1070 or GTX1070Ti it will be better for longer run than 3GB GTX1060, GTX1060 is poor value for money

For Oculus Rift or VR, GTX1070Ti will be bit better option as with OC this GPU can be on par with GTX1080

If you can't afford right now, try check eBay or Gumtree, Facebook etc for prices, personally I would get GTX1080Ti rather as 11GB is 11GB and GTX1080 Ti is faster GPU

RTX 2060 or 2070/2080 will be better option but Poser doesn't support RTX Turing Architecture and due this if you planning to use GPU for rendering I wouldn't consider now these GPU, sadly

If you planning to run GPU in Poser SuperFly then you can use both GPUs, but be careful with VRAM, not sure if yours GTX660 is 2GB if yes then in total VRAM for rendering with both GPUs you will have 2GB not 8GB, you can stack CUDA cores but not VRAM with current CUDA, unless you have RTX 20xx and NVLink and Octane

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

• I use my 1070 for display and rendering, and most renders are 4-6gig on average used on the card.

Once and a while I try something that is too much, and a reboot is in order, lol

• @shvrdavid I'm using a GTX970 and GTX980. According to my nephew the GTX 970 has 3.5 gig with an extra .5 gig soldered on so has speed/memory issues. If I render something that exceeds the one card's memory the tiles rendered by that card run REAL SLOW. The 980 will render 10-15 tiles while the 970 just 1. to save memory In multi-figure scenes, for example, I use the same textures for hair, mouth and eyes. I also paste the fingernail textures into the limbs maps so I don't have to use a separate map for those. Also, deleting props that are off camera saves rendering memory too.