Can I safely buy a 2070 series graphics card for Poser already?

• Re: Update status of Turing support for Superfly.

My old 560 in its days was a good choice but now it is crying (literally!) for retirement.
    Candidates are the GTX 1070, affordable and well proven but yesteryear state of the art and already well on its way to the exit, and the 2070, costs an odd day's salary more, but it is more future proof.
    Is there any progress yet?

• Sadly not. The current version of cycles in Poser still does not support Turing cards.

Here's a quote from @h-elwood-gilliland on the matter. https://forum.smithmicro.com/topic/9378/poser-pro-11-and-turing-support/11

@h-elwood-gilliland said in Poser Pro 11 and Turing support.:

@johndoe641 said in Poser Pro 11 and Turing support.:

Turing architecture

Well, officially all I can say is we'll take a look at what you and others are saying. The 20* series, while compelling, are still not adopted as widely as you might think. RTX has been griped on, maybe in a year or two we'll see more adoption once the prices come down. I get what you are saying and will bring it up when we discuss the future internally.

While he's right that Turing cards aren't the most popular things, they are slowly replacing Pascal cards. What happens when Turing saturates the market? What about pre-built systems and all the current new laptops that only come with Turing cards? One of the main selling points of PP11 was the CUDA support and render speed which will simply not work for people upgrading their cards. SM really needs to take a look at this as a crucial step to keeping Poser relevant until the next version comes out.

• indeed what worries me:
    See below gamma from a large store here in the Netherlands:
    0_1552251824969_Knipsel.JPG

43 RTX types on offer; 19 types of GTX

• This post is deleted!

• Poser Team

Nvidia's Ampere design GPU is scheduled to replace all the Turing cards next year.

So stay tuned to nothing working yet again......

With that in mind, buy a card that works with the programs you actually use.

• Push SM to support the AMD ProRender Engine and not have to worry about whether your video card is fromt Team Red or Team Green.

• @ssgbryan I really, really, really don't want to have to learn a whole new render engine, the move to superfly, which broke hundreds of my stock materials was bad, but I'm just about there now, having to start all over with another would probably stop me upgrading.

• @amethystpendant what if they could just put in a pure Cycles engine along with FF and SF. I'd spend time learning that.

• Poser Team

@ghostship A lot of these third-party renderers can already be added to the product and automated if you use Python.

• @h-elwood-gilliland I'm not a python guy. Option 3 would be something that converted/exported a Poser scene into Blender. Something that was easy to use and did not require learning programming/scripting.

• Poser Team

@ghostship Part of the reason we have Python exposed as the Poser Python API is to permit third party developers to integrate third party software. There's nothing stopping anyone from adding additional renderers like the ones listed here. There was once a movement "Poser Tools for Blender 2.5" -- this is not an endorsement: https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/?item_id=76373

• @ghostship said in Can I safely buy a 2070 series graphics card for Poser already?:

@amethystpendant what if they could just put in a pure Cycles engine along with FF and SF. I'd spend time learning that.

Me too, although a lot of my materials use the poser root but I would accept another render engine, especially full Cycles if SF was still available

• @shvrdavid said in Can I safely buy a 2070 series graphics card for Poser already?:

Which does of course brings me the utter noob in this field to the question: Can I at all use Poser, Superfly, GPU rendering with an RTX 2070 card? Poser will clearly not use the latest and the finest of the extras the newer card type brings, but if Poser runs with the RTX2070 like it would with a GTX1070, I can consider the advantages an RTX2070 brings for other programs/render engines and evaluate against the extra investment.

If Poser and RTX cards do not go together well, please let me know because now would be the time to buy a GTX before they go extinct.

• @f_verbaas Current Poser SF and RTX/Turing do not mix. GPU rendering will fail with an error message.

What you can do is get an RTX card as your primary video card and find a 1070/ti/1080/ti as a secondary card for rendering in Poser. That way software that actually keeps up with technology will eventually be able to use the RTX cards for rendering and the ever aging PP11 will use the 10XX card for rendering. The biggest advantage to this is having the GTX card as a slave renderer allows you to use your comp unhindered since your main video card is free to do whatever you want.

I've been thinking about doing this, since my 970 can't render anything I've been working on lately because it all takes up more than 3.5GB and my 1070 would be a HUGE step up from that. Just replace my 970 with my 1070 and get a 2070 for everything else. If by some miracle SF is updated to be compatible with Turing then I'm all set!

• Thank you for the advice.
    I just purchased an Asus GeForce Dual-GTX1070-O8G.
    Hope this one will keep me going for a while, and will keep that tandem in mind if I need to update my system.

• @f_verbaas said in Can I safely buy a 2070 series graphics card for Poser already?:

@shvrdavid said in Can I safely buy a 2070 series graphics card for Poser already?:

Which does of course brings me the utter noob in this field to the question: Can I at all use Poser, Superfly, GPU rendering with an RTX 2070 card? Poser will clearly not use the latest and the finest of the extras the newer card type brings, but if Poser runs with the RTX2070 like it would with a GTX1070, I can consider the advantages an RTX2070 brings for other programs/render engines and evaluate against the extra investment.

If Poser and RTX cards do not go together well, please let me know because now would be the time to buy a GTX before they go extinct.

Hi there

No you can't use RTX GPUs or Turing architecture in Poser right now.

As @johndoe641 said it will fail or will not use these GPUs for rendering

Somewhere here is thread where I posted my findings, I have in my build 4*GPUs(RTX 2080Ti, GTX1080Ti with GTX1080 and forth GTX1080), in Poser I can use only GTX cards not RTX

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

• @jura11 and here I was quite pleased with my dual 1070's :)

• @ssgbryan I have a very underpowered system but well above min specs for Firefly. I agree with about AMD stuff. Poser cornered themselves into a card that is dying off but you still need to pay a premium for these cards. For someone who is just starting out its frustrating. I don't need anything lightning fast but I was dealing with onboard graphics and it was pathetic. Anyways I find myself playing with Blender more and more. I found an old AMD card I had laying around speeds up my cycles render and some renders take only 1/5th of the time they did before. Yeah, the card is useless in Poser. But I found out quickly that GPU renders actually take 4 times longer than CPU renders if I go over my cards memory limit. So having a decent amount of memory on the card is hugely important.

And that's the thing, I can get "good enough" times in Blender with an AMD card. I can get a new 8 GB card from amd for only $150. An 8 gb 1070 (cheapest new)will set me back $320. I know that 1070 will smoke the card at half the price but considering it will not even fit inside my case... For somebody on a budget, the 1660 has a strong appeal but I just wish that it had 8 GB instead of 6. And again it pointless because it won't work with Poser. I could still get a 1060 6g but the price of those makes no sense when it's only $10 different from the 1660. I would make the plunge into a modern card if it worked but I don't want to buy an older card on the way out at inflated prices. I don't want to buy a used card off eBay either.

It's a shame because although they are not fastest cards at least AMD puts decent sized memory on cards at an ok price. Bang for the buck is high and I could actually see myself being able to afford a multiple card set up at those prices particularly if I upgrade a little at a time. Let one card render away as you continue with other computer tasks uninterrupted. This is just a hobby I am trying to get into it on a budget. I considered building a modern new system up to $1500 but I cringe at buying Nvidia 10 series just because of one program. Yes I know some of you are willing to spend that much on just a video card alone.

The minimum specs for poser pro is only a 2 GB card and that I find to be a laughable size. I am really trying to like Poser but the hardware limitation is ignorant.

• Poser Team

@nopose said in Can I safely buy a 2070 series graphics card for Poser already?:

I found out quickly that GPU renders actually take 4 times longer than CPU renders if I go over my cards memory limit.

This happens because when GPUs run out of memory, they swap to CPU memory, and then, perhaps, to disk. Readback and transfer is not as efficient, but your process continues. After that, there's a limit to the 'and then' and eventually you'll get an out-of-memory error. There is also a setting in your GPU that limits the memory. Sometimes instead of swapping objects don't get created (like texture objects) resulting in undefined behavior as assets are not loaded.

There is a video out there that talks about how to work with the GPU, cycles and render settings most effectively. That video should be reviewed, if you are having performance issues, as some of the settings don't provide noticeable increases in quality, but may provide decreases in performance.

https://my.smithmicro.com/poserwebinars/how-to-get-the-best-results-from-posers-superfly-render-engine.html

Also, at Renderosity:

The minimum specs for poser pro is only a 2 GB card and that I find to be a laughable size. I am really trying to like Poser but the hardware limitation is ignorant.

Poser has humble beginnings in the mid-90s. The bar of entry is very low to allow people who have older machines to still utilize their machines. Of course, they must have a 64-bit GPU, but their video cards can be recycled from older systems, or not used at all. Poser, like a lot of modern software, is scaleable and, therefore, systems with beefier hardware will have it taken advantage of by Poser. This translates to allowing larger textures, more complex settings and rendering scenarios, and more complex models and subdivisions. All of these systems benefit from beefier hardware. On my development desk is a GTX 1070 with 16GB of VRAM.

• Poser Team

GPU page swapping, is a pain in the butt. For multiple reasons.

Read thru this, and keep in mind this is just for Cuda....

https://devblogs.nvidia.com/unified-memory-cuda-beginners/