Poser as Painting Tool?

• Hi there,

I’m wondering if someone in the Poser/digital 3D rendering community could help
    Me with a question I have.

I’m a traditional painter, and I am painting made-up scenes that are mainly composed of people with contemporary dress, with and/or surrounding by objects etc.
    To do this in the past I relied on self-composed photographs to paint from, which often involved asking friends and strangers to model for.
    This has been fine, though i imagined there must be a more efficient way digitally to
    Compose the figures in a scene myself.

I recently became the owner of a new iPad Pro, and have been looking around for
    3D design Programs. And it seems that Poser more than accomplishes the task I have. But I haven’t purchased it yet, as I’m not sure if something so Seemingly comprehensive as Poser is necessary for what I need.

I just need a realistic looking contemporary dress and body appearance of each figure, to be able to move and adjust and each figure in any scene composition, and that there is a varied and big enough library stock Of such figures to draw from.
    (Being able to compose a room, forest, city background would also be a plus)

It is not necessary for example to be able to individually design the pieces of clothing
    And facial composition of each figure for what I need. Only that I imagine to have to design each detail of each figure to such minuet detail would be painstaking and unnecessary for my purposes at least.

So I suppose my question would be would Poser be the best thing for my requirements or would it be overkill? If so is there another model design program out there that would be More suitable?

I have been using Magic Poser and other free apps too, which I find helpful. But I need something more textured and detailed than this now.

Hope someone can help with this:)

Thanks,

Niall Dooley

• @nickneachtain Poser's original purpose was as an aid for sketching/drawing human figures.

• If you wonder around the render threads here, that will give you an idea of what you can get out of Poser.
    Poser is capable of a lot of detail, all but photo realistic with the right content.
    Poser will allow you to rig and set up content, but you need to create it in another program.
    Poser does not create textures or wireframes, but allows rigging and rendering of anything you create in another program.
    I do most of my creation work in Substance Painter and Blender.
    You basically need a program to create wireframes, and one to create the textures.
    After that you can set it up in Poser to render.

You mentioned an Ipad, but Poser is PC/Mac only.

I am not an Apple person, so I dont have much knowledge of programs used on Macs, or IOS

• @nickneachtain Brian Haberlin, who consulted on our Sketch Designer and some of the Toon shading and line drawing features, uses Poser as a basis to make comic books like Spawn, Wu-Tang, Anomaly and a lot of other 2D work: https://www.artstation.com/search/artists?q=haberlin

Painterly effect: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/AVDlN

• @shvrdavid Until my last upgrade, I was Mac Only, so yes, an Ipad should work wonderfully with Poser provided it meets all the other machine requirements for running the program. I never bought one myself because I need more screen space, not less.

• @eclark1849 Unfortunately, unless its changed with the iPad Air, MacOS does not run on an Ipad.

• @h-elwood-gilliland Okay, I haven't use a Mac in quite a while. So I had to go to Apple to check. You're right. IPads don't run on MacOS. Shame too.

• @eclark1849 said in Poser as Painting Tool?:

@h-elwood-gilliland Okay, I haven't use a Mac in quite a while. So I had to go to Apple to check. You're right. IPads don't run on MacOS. Shame too.

Would you really be happy with a system that has 4Gb of ram?

• @ssgbryan I WAS. And you can always add more. I know. I've done it.

• Poser Ambassadors

Don't know about the rest of the world but Windows netbooks and small notebooks in Europe come with 2-4GB these days.
    Low end desktops defaults shifted to 8GB minimums while medium end desktops hover around 16GB these days.
    My pockets don't allow me to look higher up. LOL.
    My max system is an 8 core with 16GB, the others are quads with 8GB.

• @eclark1849 said in Poser as Painting Tool?:

@ssgbryan I WAS. And you can always add more. I know. I've done it.

Not with an iPad. The new models are available with 4Gig max.

I tried Poser 11 with a 4Gig Laptop (i5). Works as long as not mutch is loaded and not too big textures are used. Ok to try out. But not for serious work.

• @adp Never used an IPad. Was referring to a Mac Mini. At the time it came with 2Gigs. I doubled it to 4. Today, it starts at 8Ggis, but I know you can double it to at least 16.

• Re: Mac Mini - ram is soldered on, no upgrades possible.
    For a bit less than a 2019 mac Mini, you could have this:

0_1553706212924_MacPro.png

• @ssgbryan I think people would switch out the RAM on the early models. They used to have a video that showed how to do it. I could never quite fit it back together properly, but it did work. I wouldn't try it on the soldered on models though. They probably did that to keep people like me from doing it themselves. So when I bought a newer model, I paid to have them go up in memory.