Importing and Working with 3D Figures in Poser 11.1

• hello all! I'm a new user to Poser, just purchased 11.1, and am attempting to learn as quick as possible about 3D graphics and modifications. I also recently purchased some 3D models from CGTrader. The model figures I purchased came in a number of file formats such as C4D, 3DS, OBJ, VUE, UVMap, DSMap and RWrld. The figure files came with little instruction on what programs to use to manipulate them beyond the "T" forms they default to. The little instruction they included pointed me to the Poser program and after checking it out, it seemed exactly the program I needed to do what I wanted to , so I immediately purchased it. So, I'm successful in importing the OBJ file of the figures into Poser, but I cannot manipulate them (pose them differently from their typical "T" forms). I've been searching and reading everything and anything about how to successfully to this, but have not yet found any content that provides the answers needed to do this.

Any help, links, or suggestions about how to do this would be greatly appreciated!

• @shepdaddy An obj file is merely a geometric representation of your figure in the 3D program. Unfortunately it is static, meaning it cannot move beyond moving it around the 3D space. You will need to buy posable figures used in your program which you can usually find in one of the major online brokerage houses. My suggestion to you is to use the sets and figures which come with your Poser program until you are familiar with them, and THEN you'll know what to buy and more importantly what you want to buy for your program.

• Poser Ambassadors

"Rigging" is the process of adding "bones" and "joints" to a figure allowing it to be posed. (Not always a human or animal - even helicopters need rigging to allow the blades to rotate.) Some things on CGTrader are already "rigged". Some are rigged specifically for Poser and will work directly.

Say more specific info about what you bought and we can take a look.

• Poser Ambassadors

As an example, this one specifically is already rigged for poser - it literally says that.

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/character/fantasy/hulk-marvel-vs-capcom-3-rigged-for-poser

• Poser Ambassadors

The CGTrader search engine has options - use them:

0_1552946269473_708db6d1-c149-490b-9d1c-95015cf2a895-image.png

• Poser Ambassadors

If it turns out your figure is not rigged, it is possible to rig it. However, that is not usually a beginner's task. If you only need a basic rig it might be something you could learn to do. Or maybe you could get some help from other Poser users - lots of people here rig things.

• Poser Ambassadors

FBX is a format some models come in that is cross-app generic and can, in theory, be imported in Poser. I believe (though am not sure, as this is not my area) that FBX figures can come with rigging that actually works in Poser. Could be wrong, though. Like I said, this isn't my area of expertise.

• Poser Ambassadors

Don't forget and always remember: google is your friend.

Google for "poser rigging tutorial" and you'll find stuff to learn.

• Poser Ambassadors

PhilC has 3 video's on YouTube on how to rig figures for poser.

Best regards, Tony

• Poser Ambassadors

As you are new to Poser also know that poser comes with lots of figures.
    In your Runtime you will also find the PoserPro series of low and medium poly males and females.
    These are "test" figures for you to freely experiment with.
    Also check my YouTube channel where you can find tutorials on how to customize the many figures that come with the app/
    Starting with :

PS; you will also find rigging and other Poser related tutorials on Renderosity

Best regards, Tony

• Thank you all for pointing me in the right direction. This has been most helpful! I've been an IT Engineer for 15 years and this is not overly complicated at all for me. Studied some of the online tutorials on rigging and im looking forward to learning lots more!