Should I join Facebook & Twitter?

• Admittedly, I don't tweet. I barely make phone calls. I KNOW better than to post actual photographs online, and I'm not really a Facebook person. I did join MySpace but I never posted there. So maybe someome here can give me an idea of why I should join Facebook and Twitter?

• @eclark1849 the one thing that is nice about FB is re-connecting with old friends. Otherwise don't bother.

• Poser Ambassadors

No clue about Twitter and its safety, but I have been on facebook twice, and both times my account has been hacked.
    And I know of other members here that also got hacked on fb.
    But, tja, living in Europe, we often get those Russian, Chinese and or Indian mass attacks.
    So?
    I became a social media 'virgin'. LOL.

• Apparently if you don't have a Facebook and Twitter account you don't actually exist - reality isn't what it used to be.
    But personally speaking, not existing is rather nice.

@vilters said in Should I join Facebook & Twitter?:

...but I have been on facebook twice, and both times my account has been hacked...
    So?
    I became a social media 'virgin'. LOL.

You can't be a virgin if you've already done it twice ! ;o)

• No - Not unless they pay you for your content. :D
    Independently operated discussion forums and galleries is the place to publish.

GoogleTwitterFacebook will steal your life, especially if you have a gps equipped smartphone. Copyright your metadata today.

• Poser Ambassadors

@dreamcutter
    Ha,ha,ha,
    When I buy a new "Smartphone", the first thing I turn OFF is the GPS.
    That way they can only locate you to within 30 meters or so. (Signal triangulation depends on how far you are from the antenna's) WITH GPS, they can see in what room you are in the house.
    Euh, camera is also a nice feature to turn OFF. (As are mike)

And if you want to join fb or twitter, or whatever? The best thing is : "TELL NOBODY!!!!".

The second they smell money or knowledge, all hackers from 8 to 80 are in their starting blocks.

The number of infractions tenfolded last year.

• Poser Ambassadors

This post is deleted!

• Is there any site on which @vilters has not been hacked?
    As for whether to join twitter or facebook et al, that is something with which nobody is equipped to give advice to another person on. Some people love it and they will all cry YES, some people hate it and they will all cry NO, and then there are people who couldn't care less who won't cry anything. In the end you're left with the decision to make without any help.

There are reasons to join, and reasons to avoid joining. Look at security, see if their security is adequate, look at need, do you need to read the minutia of people's lives, or read the fake news and clickbait that floods facebook at least, and there are likely other questions which you will need to address before making a decision. These are questions which only you can answer.

good luck!

• Poser Ambassadors

@structure
    Facebook => Twice => First time when I was still an active Military Pilot, second time when retired and just after starting to put Poser video's on tube us all.
    PayPal => Second payment went bananas and onwards. (Got refunded)
    Somebody wanted to pay me and I opened a PayPal account. Then used that money to buy some cheap stuff.
    My luck? it was never linked to my bank... Oef.

• @vilters said in Should I join Facebook & Twitter?:

[...]we often get those Russian, Chinese and or Indian mass attacks.

Tony, you've forgotten all those even more evil Ukrainians which of course always cooperate with the Russian and Chinese hackers...
    B.t.w:
    You forgot to mention the North-Koreans! :D :D :D

K

@structure said in Should I join Facebook & Twitter?:

Is there any site on which @vilters has not been hacked?
    As for whether to join twitter or facebook et al, that is something with which nobody is equipped to give advice to another person on. Some people love it and they will all cry YES, some people hate it and they will all cry NO, and then there are people who couldn't care less who won't cry anything. In the end you're left with the decision to make without any help.

There are reasons to join, and reasons to avoid joining. Look at security, see if their security is adequate, look at need, do you need to read the minutia of people's lives, or read the fake news and clickbait that floods facebook at least, and there are likely other questions which you will need to address before making a decision. These are questions which only you can answer.

good luck!

Good advise, and enough food for thought!
    IMO one mustn't always hunt after the latest hype!

I can live a perfect life without any "anti-social media", and I plan to continue to do so.
    But maybe I'm just an old fart who's stuck in the past... :o/

K

• @vilters
    Hackers and government intelligence snooping aside, the concern I have is that society's expectations will adapt to a new norm in loss of anonymity afforded through the use of G.A.F.T. is that privacy afforded by aggregation is lost at the most granular level. Its said google knows you better than your spouse does. Do you want some corporation replicating your presence on by cloning you in the future from cloud data archives? I bet your spouse doesn't even want that ;D
    Mr Bezos already is soliciting me for the patent.

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 Good question. I delete my FB account ,but stay on Twitter. I don't tweet much, except sharing causes of animal abuse or environment causes ( like mass destruction of the rain forest) . But read my board regular.
    FB I find useless at last. Important pins ( at last for me) don't show up anymore ,but for this I had the same 20-30 pins over and over again for which I had no interest (selfies, the famous ugly food pictures from dinner, etc..). So I did not log in anymore.
    And after FB get hacked last year and my account was one of them, I delete it for good.
    FB account, depends for what you want it. But to be "successful" over there, you need to invest an enormous amount of time.
    Which is for my POV wasted.

• Poser Ambassadors

@karina said in Should I join Facebook & Twitter?:

@vilters said in Should I join Facebook & Twitter?:

[...]we often get those Russian, Chinese and or Indian mass attacks.

Tony, you've forgotten all those even more evil Ukrainians which of course always cooperate with the Russian and Chinese hackers...
    B.t.w:
    You forgot to mention the North-Koreans! :D :D :D

K

I use Kaspersky, so Russian don't need to hack me, I am safe LOL

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849
    I understand why you are asking this, it is true ... to get patrons for your directory you need to get word out.
    That can be done through the social media, other sites and YouTube.

I don’t have a FB account personally, but I do tweet.
    Instagram apparently is super popular with teens and young adults now though.

• Poser Ambassadors

@biscuits I think FB's time is over. The time which you have to invest there to get "friends" is way to enormous for a little artist.
    When you want to reach a large amount of people, your permanent presence is mandatory over there. Posting by your own, comments, likes etc..can eat up daily hours.
    You come across with people like me with the Flat Earth society where I had a huge war with them, I block them, report them, but they don't stop to spam my board full. Taking care that nobody post violent, rasistic, etcc.stuff on your board eat also a huge amount of time. I report as example each day minimum 2-3 posts on my pinboard with violent stuff. After you have over 200 "friend" you simply can not control this board anymore.
    For me FB is now just wasted time . Will anyway fade away soon.

• By all means, join Facebook if ...

... you enjoy having little to no control about the content that appears in your feed
    ... you enjoy getting invitations from "friends" who want you to play games with them
    ... you enjoy getting "suggested ads" based on the types of posts you view or like
    ... you don't mind hearing people's religious or political opinions and watching the arguments that ensue afterward
    ... fake news abounds
    ... the endless news about Facebook's privacy violations and selling out your data

I just left Facebook because of these and many other reasons. "Social media" is not social at all.

• @deecey @Ladonna lol One time I had some angry trump supporter saying he was going to hunt me like wild game.

• Poser Ambassadors

@ghostship said in Should I join Facebook & Twitter?:

@deecey @Ladonna lol One time I had some angry trump supporter saying he was going to hunt me like wild game.

LOL, Fanatics are insane. I had a war with the Flat earthers. I had almost a nervous breakdown . You can not fight stupid.

• @ghostship

It's terrible. I unfollowed more people than I followed. I got so sick of it I finally decided it just wasn't worth it.

• Poser Ambassadors

@deecey So me at last. I was sick and tired of cleaning my board , unfriend and scroll for minutes for relevant pins because the spammers never stop to spam.
    And the ads...horrible.