Is there an easier way to combine/swap parts from two figures together?

• I finally purchased a better version of poser (I used to use poser debut), and I am wondering about the expanded capabilities of poser 11. In particular, is there a way to swap parts of one figure with another? I've achieved this before in poser debut, but it's very primitive, involving setting parent parts. Is there a better way to do this, that's also more refined and seamless?

• @mr_engino I don't know about being easier, but as far as I know there are two ways to make props for Poser. One using a modeling program like Wings 3D, Hexagon or Blender, and the other is the Grouping Tool in Poser. Of the two, I'd choose the modeler, But only because I despise the Grouping Tool.

Sadly, that's one of the areas in Poser that I will be studying in the next couple of weeks to get a better handle on.

• I heard about the ability to swap body parts on figures with props, but if I make the body part of another figure into a prop, would it retain its pose sliders or would it turn into a solid object?

• This is something I'd like to see them add to a future version but don't expect to actually see. I think it would be great if we could build an entirely new figure by merging the head of one onto the upper body of another and the lower body of a third figure... The main problem is that Poser can't weld seams if the two parts vertices do not align. Meta meshing or similar could solve the welding issue but then there is still the issue of the joined parts possibly having overlapping UVs and their own textures. Blending two distinct materials at the weld would probably be a significant technical achievement.

• @mr_engino if you were trying to do something like transplant an entire hand from one figure to another, maintaining essentially the same rigging (assuming the same number and naming of actors in the original and transplanted hand), I'd suggest first trying to conform the donor figure to the base figure, then hiding the base figure's hand actors and hiding the non-hand actors on the donor figure. Controlling the donated hand can then be done directly from the base figure's actors, which will include any Body based valueOperations (like finger grasping, spreading, etc.) inherited by the conformed donor.

If that seems unwieldy, but gives an acceptable result, a Frankenstein-like CR2 can be created which replaces the base figure's hand actor meshes with the donor figure's hand mesh. There will always be issues, as @moogaloonie mentions, with the donor hand not being properly welded to the base figure, especially if there are a different layout of vertices at the joint. If there are differences in the joint centres and joint zones of the donor actors, these also need to be transplanted within the monster CR2. I hesitate to add, as I don't want to start a software/vendor flame war, that there are methods of overcoming this ("geografting"), but they require deliberate implementation in the software.

A third option is to edit the donor figure and remove everything except the hierarchy which is being transplanted, so the root of the figure might be the hand, or forearm, and then parent that whole figure to the body part being replaced.

If the transplant is not substantially different (like a head replacing a hand) then the Morphing tool might be employed on the base figure to morph the original parts into a semblance of the donor parts.

If all of these sound like kluges, it's because that's exactly what they are. As you've noted, Poser is only set up to replace a body part with a prop, not an entire, articulated figure. The developers presumably allocated that kind of operation to the figure creators themselves.

• I see. Well, If I were to do option 3, what would be the recommended program to use, assuming I can't edit the figure directly in poser?

• @mr_engino Just wondering, are you going to be using animation? If not, your way became a bit easier.

• @maestro I tend to use poser for still pictures, but I was planning on using it for animations.