Easiest Way to Transfer Entire Setup to New Computer?

• Hi All,
    What would be the easiest way to transfer my entire Poser setup, content, projects etc etc etc, to a new computer?

I have Poser 6 and Poser 11.

Thanks!

• Poser Ambassadors

@newoski said in Easiest Way to Transfer Entire Setup to New Computer?:

Hi All,
    What would be the easiest way to transfer my entire Poser setup, content, projects etc etc etc, to a new computer?

I have Poser 6 and Poser 11.

Thanks!

Install Poser on your new computer.
    Then copy the entire runtime of your old computer to your new one but give the parent folder a new name: P11library. Then add this new runtime to your new poser install.

Depending on what addons you use (render engine, scripts, DSON, etc) you need to copy addional folders.

For scripts, copy your scripts folder (Program Files/Smith Micro/ Poser 11/runtime/python/PoserScripts) to your new computer on the same location. Make sure you do NOT overwrite the new files.

For DSON, copy the DSON folder in Program Files/Smith Micro/ Poser 11/runtime/python/Addons to your new computer on the same location. Also copy the data folder (C:\Users\Public\Documents\Poser 11 Content\Runtime\DSON) to your new computer at the same location. This will make sure you can load your old scenes where you have used DSON.

For other plugins (Octane, EZSkin, EZDome, etc) - install the plugins yo your new computer. Then copy the configuration files - usually stored in C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Poser Pro\11) to your new computer at the same location.

This all assumes that you have installed Poser, your runtimes and your plugins to the default locations. If you have not done that, look at the settings and configurations of Poser and addons where those locations are and use the same ones on your new computer.

Some tips when doing this.
    Easiest to do this if you have your old and new computer on your local network.

Use the same drive letters if possible. Some addons and (olders) scene files will use absolute pathnames. Poser can usually handle this, but addons probably not.

If you have new addons or scripts try to set configurations, cache files, data files inside your new old P11 runtime. This way you can easy copy this runtime the next time you have to do this and you do not have to bother finding out where everything is.

• Hi,

I've been using Poser for exactly a year now and have just purchased and set up a new PC (which, unlike my original PC, has a spec that can manage Poser comfortably!).

Having spent year 1 getting my pixels in a twist about Runtime, content, folders and files, I decided to learn as much as I could about the file types and locations so, rather than copying my runtime directly to the new PC, I spent about 2 weeks carefully creating sub-folders that meant I could find things more easily.

For example, I set up 3 or 4 folders in Figures called 01 Characters, 02 Clothes, 03 Hair, 04 Misc. Then I did something similar in Props, and again in Hair... and so on... As we all know, sometimes Hair and clothes will often end up in any of these folders so, rather than trying to remember the folder name based on the author's auto install path, I can now navigate logically!

For me, it simply takes away the frustration of looking for content in a big list of weird names.

Just my 2 cents of course...
    Apart from anything else, it's nice to write something on this forum that ISN'T a plea for help!

Cheers :)
    RSK

• What I do when I upgrade to a new PC or Poser version is copy the entire runtime folders. I usually use external drives and name them by the Poser version. e.g. Poser 6 content, Poser 6 downloads etc. and just add the library to the new version of poser. But I now have many runtimes libraries, when I next upgrade my PC I am going to start fresh using runtime names for Characters. e.g. V4, PE, M4, LaFemme etc. and also theme based runtimes e.g. Food, Musical instruments, vehicles, to better organize the massive amount of content I have aquired over the years (which is also on an external drive in the original download files. I don't download/install without downloading to my poser download folder first, then installing from there.

• Drive or path mapping may help in some situations. I use it most of the time.

Look here: https://www.itworld.com/article/2694895/how-to-map-a-local-folder-to-a-drive-letter-in-windows.html

My Poser files are managed by a Linux-Server and mapped to Windows drive letters or UNC-pathes. Even Posers config-path is "virtual" :)