Register face with face room

• Hello been years since I was on here. In poser Is it possible to register a face with the face room so That you can go in and adjust the features?

Jmickey,

• @jmickey Most, if not all e-frontier and Smith Micro Poser figures are recognized by the Face Room. Also, I believe, Apollo Maximus. Aside from those as far as I can recall, will work in the Poser Face room. I won't bother to explain why. Let some one else have that fun. It is possible to register, just really expensive.

• @eclark1849

Making a figure Face Room compatible is not a trivial task. That should suffice for an explanation.

• @deecey okay.

• thanks for the replies people. not trivial and expensive .not answers i hoped for. oh well.
    just for amusement is there somewhere to locate the info on that. always like to know how hard the wall i put my head to is.
    thanks

jmickey

• @jmickey You could try asking @h.elwood.gilliland from Smith Micro. He probably knows.

• @eclark1849

I used to handle Face Room compatibility when I worked at SM. I'm very aware of what is involved, and it is quite complex. The process is lengthy and relies on internal/proprietary scripts that compile the necessary face room data that is distributed with the Poser software.

• @deecey I don't wish to animate any zombies that should remain at rest, but are you able to reveal whether there was a costing model which would explain who it was intended would bear the cost of making a figure face-room compatible? For example, an understanding that being able to label a figure as face-room-compatible would raise its profile and increase profits for the vendor, who should therefore bear the entire cost - unless they decided to pass on that cost to the figure's purchasers. [Hardly a consideration now, I would imagine, apart from the inherent labour cost of providing such compatibility, for a now-freely available figure]

Would you guess whether it might be worthwhile for a group of users to attempt to crowdfund/kickstart such an exercise for a chosen figure, or would it require input from or permission of the vendor of that figure?

• Poser Ambassadors

@anomalaus
    Hi, so sorry to bring bad news but.
    The face room (as was the hair room) was based on outside software back in Poser5 days.
    To answer your question directly;
    A figure alone can never raise the money to justify faceroom compatibility costs. (Yes, they are that high.)

• @vilters thanks for the input. I had a bunch of questions about pricing models, but I think I should clarify exactly what we're talking about.

Perhaps @h-elwood-gilliland or @Deecey would care to comment on whether I am mistaken in thinking that the Face Room is based on Singular Inversions Inc.'s Face Gen SDK? I note the reference on Poser's About dialog, and that their web site still has a relatively recent "©2018".

If one threw out a wild speculation that ownership of said SDK (notably POA* on the site) might be a useful starting point to producing one's own Face Room Compatibility, would one immediately notice the accelerating approach of the event horizon and the rearward emanation of smouldering canvas shards [get shot down], or simply be shown a NDA card?

[* Price On Application]

• There are plenty face maniplation and face generation tools available today.
    Maybe move the face room to the 'legacy functions' department and look for a fresh start.
    The result, in the end, is a geometry or geometry morph that Poser can handle irrespective of where it comes from.

• Something like this.

• @fverbaas My personal belief in the Face Room is that it has run its course and it is time to get rid of it.

• @eclark1849
    What's in a name?