Meshbox Content Paradise 3D model catalog arriving on Renderosity

• Meshbox Design has been releasing Poser compatible content since 2002. One of our first creations was Toon Santa, a 3D Santa that has been putting a friendly face on the NORAD Tracks Santa program since 2006. We were one of the first partners on Content Paradise.

Renderosity reached out to us and we entered into a very amicable agreement with them to release our Content Paradise catalog there, and some future content. We will continue to sell also through Mirye Software and other partners, but you can expect more to appear on Renderosity in the weeks and months to come.

We released our first set on Renderosity for Memorial Day weekend 2019 with a limited time 30% off sale.

If you purchased these models before on Content Paradise, you should not duplicate your order. Instead, register your CP purchase on Mirye Software via trouble ticket so you can download the models again.

• @meshbox I was just over at Renderosity and saw your products in the store, so congrats on getting your items out in the public view again. ~wink~

I always admired you folks for addressing so many software options with your products.

• @miss-b Thanks! We've had close relations with the developers of Vue (since sold to Bentley Systems) and Shade (sold twice since we are involved with it, now owned by a company called Forum8) over many years and have used both internally. Some Bryce users got jealous about our Vue support so we went ahead and added Bryce.

We started supporting Blender too, and that's got us a bit interested as it is getting better and better. The incorporation of Cycles also into Poser is great. But the forthcoming Blender 2.8 is rejiggering the user interface and adding a real time rendering option, both of which makes it a compelling platform.

• @meshbox As a Blender user, I'm glad to see that. I'm still using 2.79, as I need to update this puppy before I can install 2.8. It seems my OpenGL isn't high enough, but I'll get there eventually.

I am taking a class at Udemy because there's several options, like sculpting, which I've never tried in all the years I've been playing in Blender, and from what I see from other students who are retaking the class since they've started upgrading the lessons for 2.8, I'm fairly impressed with the new EEVEE render engine, so I'm looking forward to trying it out.

• @miss-b I like that there is a sculpting option in Blender, but I wonder if perhaps the results aren't a bit weak compared to even modestly priced products. I like where 2.8 is going, but Blender has always had a sort of 'me too' take where they have often implemented something that was half broken.

• @meshbox I tried Sculptris years ago, and even though I didn't try anything like sculpting a head (as in the Udemy class), I was able to get a few small things done. I just really, reeeeeeealllly didn't like the software. At least I'm familiar with Blender, so may actually get something decent accomplished . . . at some point.

• @meshbox Oddly, you have a better chance of something getting fixed in Blender, than most paid programs.

As far as Blender being weak, I don't find that to be the case at all.
    Many of the contributors to the code, also work on paid products as well.

I use Blender a lot, and find more often than not that paid programs have half implemented ideas, from Blender....

• @shvrdavid Looking forward to 2.8. Last year's sigraph had a lot of Blender.

A free program that's in the same league as crazy expensive pro stuff... I think it's game changing.

I've given thought about the possibility of Poser remade as a custom UI on/in Blender.

• Poser Ambassadors

Been Blendering for a long time now, trying 2.8 but. . . It can not do 1/3 of what 2.79 can.
    I just can not find my "twist" in 2.8, so for the time being, you"ll need something like the power of an aircraft carrier for me to transfer to 2.8.

• @vilters I'm not planning of "switching" to 2.8, mostly because I too have been using Blender for a long time (since 2.4x), and I got through the update to 2.5x easily because it was the kind of UI update I was used to and hoping for, but 2.8 has made so many changes, I'm not sure I'll ever get used to it, and that's just all the changes to shortcuts and mouse clicks. I'm used to finding everything I need exactly where it is (and has been) for quite some time now.

The only thing I want to play with in Blender 2.8 is the new EEVEE render engine, though I'm not one for doing final renders in Blender. The only time I can ever remember doing so was my first play with the then new Cycles render engine. Now with Poser having the SuperFly render engine, the only thing I need the Cycles render engine is for familiarizing myself with more of the Cycles related nodes in SuperFly.

I'll definitely be holding onto Blender 2.79b for a long time to come.

• @vilters Whoa, no twist???? Isn't that kind of basic functionality? Anyway, my aircraft carrier is in the shop, so you're safe on 2.79 for the time being. But the shop gals tell me "any day now" so find the twist function.

• @miss-b The funny thing is, this is what entrenches nearly all graphics software (especially). I suppose, any software used by creatives to craft something other. The GUI. Blender can be used in place of other commercial packages, for a lot. But relearning the GUI.... brutal. Took Adobe going to subscription model to finally break my photoshop habit. Affinity, for the win, there. I've tried several times to switch to DS but wow, that GUI... I really tried, though. It just didn't bring any new functionality for the pain of relearning. Genesis wasn't compelling enough.

• @thoennes Never been a big fan of subscriptions on anything but magazines.

• @eclark1849 Exactly!

• @thoennes said in Meshbox Content Paradise 3D model catalog arriving on Renderosity:

@miss-b The funny thing is, this is what entrenches nearly all graphics software (especially). I suppose, any software used by creatives to craft something other. The GUI. Blender can be used in place of other commercial packages, for a lot. But relearning the GUI.... brutal. Took Adobe going to subscription model to finally break my photoshop habit. Affinity, for the win, there. I've tried several times to switch to DS but wow, that GUI... I really tried, though. It just didn't bring any new functionality for the pain of relearning. Genesis wasn't compelling enough.

I was never one to upgrade a lot of my software, both 2D and 3D, every time there was a new version. I went from PS 5.5 to PS 7 to PS CS2, which was my final upgrade, and what I still use, and that was long before Adobe went to subscription which, of course, sealed the deal, as the saying goes. I've never been much of a fan of subscription software either.

As far as DS goes, I started with Poser 5, and had a lot of issues with it, other than hating the UI, but I think it was my then Windows 98SE system that was giving me issues. Sooo, I switched over to using DS 2 on my then laptop, upgraded to DS 3 Advanced, and finally to DS 4.0 Pro with the original Genesis.

Then I went back to Poser 7, which I didn't get to use much, and then Poser 9, which I started using a lot when HW3D opened, and Dawn was born. Now I'm on PoserPro 11, having skipped Poser 10, which is what I was originally planning on getting, when version 11 came out. I preferred updating when the previous version was cheap.

I won't ever update DS past my 4.0 Pro because I too don't find the newer version of Genesis all that appealing, but I still use my DS 3 Advanced on occasion, as it's my largest Runtime, though my PP11 is catching up. ~wink~

• @shvrdavid I didn't actually say Blender was weak, but that the sculpting doesn't seem quite there yet. It is promising though.

We've been focusing a bit more on Blender since 2.7.x (2014). My earliest experiences (starting in 2003) with it were not very good, because they definitely would borrow ideas (not necessarily a bad thing) from others and then do a broken implementation. I started looking at it again during 2.6.x and although it would still choke a bit on importing fairly simple models we'd create, it seemed to get a lot better.

The priorities of open source are not always the same priorities of closed source producers. Fortunately, a lot has happened since even the 2.6.x days.

• @Miss-B
    Blender 2.8 has the option to use 2.7x shortcuts again. (They removed it for a while for some reason.) And the entire UI is exposed to python. So addons that make it basically look and feel like 2.7x are inevitable.

@meshbox

I agree about the priorities thing. Blender has come a long way in a very short time. But as far as broken implementation goes, Blender has not done that in a while now.
    We use paid programs that have many, broken, or partially implemented features that work flawless in Blender. Sort of Ironic isn't.... I can't tell you the last time, or if Blender 2.7x has crashed, messed up, etc. I can't say that for many of the programs I paid for....

As far as the sculpting goes, I like where they are going with it. There really isn't any good reason to make it like other programs sculpting setups. Simply because what they have in there now works with the rest of the tools in the program.

Slant did a roundup of the best modelling programs out there today, and Blender won it... Modo was second, Zbrush 3rd.

It also won one of the Sculpting ones as well..

Yes, these roundups are opinions, so there is that. But 5 years ago Blender didn't hit many roundups at all.

• @shvrdavid said in Meshbox Content Paradise 3D model catalog arriving on Renderosity:

@Miss-B
    Blender 2.8 has the option to use 2.7x shortcuts again. (They removed it for a while for some reason.) And the entire UI is exposed to python. So addons that make it basically look and feel like 2.7x are inevitable.

Scott, this is excellent news!! This is another reason why I haven't upgraded to 2.8 yet (aside from my OpenGl needing an upgrade), it's not a final Service Release yet. While it's still in Beta, even if it's fairly stable, I won't touch it because so many things get changed around. The only time I'll look at Beta software, is when I'm on the Beta team for that software.

• 2.8 final is supposed to be next month.
    But it was delayed before, so you never know.

I forgot to mention that 2.8 is also introducing another keymap setup. Called Industry Standard. I have not played around with that yet thou.

• @shvrdavid Cool. Industry Standard.... sooooo autodesk? That's actually helpful. I wish I could do that with Poser. The weird camera controls kill me when I'm switching back and forth into Poser.