Poser & DAZ 3D Runtimes -- Best Practices?

• Hi All,
    I'm new and I'm devouring all educational content I can find for Poser and DAZ (and iClone). The challenge I'm having is that a lot of the results I'm finding with GoogleFu are really outdated and I can't if they're still best practices or totally useless -- they refer to standalone apps from like 2012 etc etc, which leads to me assume they're outdated.

Primary questions:

1. What are the recommended best practices for keeping an organized Runtimes library for Poser?
    2. What are the recommended best practices for shared content between Pozer & DAZ?
    • For example, space isn't an issue, therefore, should I be copying everything 1:1 from DAZ Library to Poser?
    • Lots of the content after my initial install seems to be in odd locations. For example, Poser characters purchased from Renderosity are showing up under Poses. Is this the correct location?
    • Finally, lots of the thumbnails for items (poses etc) are so tiny it's impossible to make use of them. Is there a way to increase their size or what is the best practice of making best use of them?
      Thanks again!

• I don't think there is any best practice, ask 10 users and you will at least 11 suggestions as to best practice, so I can only say what I do.
    For DAZ content I simple add the My DAZ3d library to my poser runtimes. (Do you know how to add a new runtime to poser?) However as I don't actually use DAZ this only contains DAZ freebies that I can use with the DSON importer (Genesis and Genesis 2 stuff) plus the generation 4 (Victoria 4Michael 4, kids 4) base figures and morphs as I never managed to get morphs++ working by manually installing them.
    For poser content, first advice is never add any content to your base poser library (shown as poser 11 content in your library) since if and when a new version of poser comes out and you decide to upgrade it is easy just to have the say poser12 content library and not bother with your poser 11content library to avoid duplication.
    I would also avoid putting content in to your downloads library as this is also awkward to deal with if you upgrade.
    I would suggest you decide how you want to categorise your content, whether by figure, genre or whatever and create individual runtimes for these. For example I have individual runtime for V4 and M4, but Dawn, Dusk and baby Luna share a runtime.
    I also have runtimes for weapons, outdoor, sci-fi and fantasy content that isn't specific to any one figure.
    Re characters showing up under poses. That;s because these are pose files (.pz2) that you apply to figure, but instead of apply a pose they apply a character shape and in some cases a texture to a figure. What I do is in for example my V4 runtime poses I have created a folder entitled Characters into which I move those. (I've also added folders inside the characters differentiating the characters by race and fantasy figures, clowns etc)
    The actual size of the thumbnails is I believe fixed, but at the bottom of the library panel you will see 3 dots, click on this and a panel is revealed which allows you to adjust how they are displayed.
    Hope this helps

• @j-naylor73 said in Poser & DAZ 3D Runtimes -- Best Practices?:

I don't think there is any best practice, ask 10 users and you will at least 11 suggestions as to best practice, so I can only say what I do.
    For DAZ content I simple add the My DAZ3d library to my poser runtimes. (Do you know how to add a new runtime to poser?) However as I don't actually use DAZ this only contains DAZ freebies that I can use with the DSON importer (Genesis and Genesis 2 stuff) plus the generation 4 (Victoria 4Michael 4, kids 4) base figures and morphs as I never managed to get morphs++ working by manually installing them.
    For poser content, first advice is never add any content to your base poser library (shown as poser 11 content in your library) since if and when a new version of poser comes out and you decide to upgrade it is easy just to have the say poser12 content library and not bother with your poser 11content library to avoid duplication.
    I would also avoid putting content in to your downloads library as this is also awkward to deal with if you upgrade.
    I would suggest you decide how you want to categorise your content, whether by figure, genre or whatever and create individual runtimes for these. For example I have individual runtime for V4 and M4, but Dawn, Dusk and baby Luna share a runtime.
    I also have runtimes for weapons, outdoor, sci-fi and fantasy content that isn't specific to any one figure.
    Re characters showing up under poses. That;s because these are pose files (.pz2) that you apply to figure, but instead of apply a pose they apply a character shape and in some cases a texture to a figure. What I do is in for example my V4 runtime poses I have created a folder entitled Characters into which I move those. (I've also added folders inside the characters differentiating the characters by race and fantasy figures, clowns etc)
    The actual size of the thumbnails is I believe fixed, but at the bottom of the library panel you will see 3 dots, click on this and a panel is revealed which allows you to adjust how they are displayed.
    Hope this helps

Thank you! So helpful.

• @j-naylor73 said in Poser & DAZ 3D Runtimes -- Best Practices?:

I don't think there is any best practice, ask 10 users and you will at least 11 suggestions as to best practice, so I can only say what I do.
    Hope this helps

Quick follow-up. For Poser, are the "items" as simple as a PZ2 or whatever that format is, plus an image? Which is to say, move those two paired items together and all is fine?

• @newoski yes, but there may also be an .XML file for the library metadata, such as creator/categories, if you choose to use them.

• @anomalaus said in Poser & DAZ 3D Runtimes -- Best Practices?:

@newoski yes, but there may also be an .XML file for the library metadata, such as creator/categories, if you choose to use them.

In the same folder with the same name? Or elsewhere?

• The xml file will be in the same folder. If you don't have it already it helps if you have explorer (assuming you are using windows) set to display the 3 character file extension.
    However files in your poser library can refer to files elsewhere in your runtime, such as textures, geometries and for morphs elsewhere. It is usually safe (i.e. doesn't throw up any manual calls to find files, or take a long time to load as poser is searching for files) moving files around within a specific library but I wouldn't manually move them from one library to another.
    If you want to move an item, look at the original zip file to see all the files that need to be moved, or just delete the files in the wrong library and re-install in the one you now want.
    The only disadvantage to this is that some orphan files will be left behind. This will not effect poser in general but can slow down loading when poser is searching for a referenced file, which can be annoying if you have big runtimes.

• @newoski Worthy of notice is that some files (characters, props, materials etc) may call for .obj mesh files or for image files for material textures.
    If these are not in the same Runtime when you load the library file, Poser will keep asking you to locate the file every time.

Best practice to avoid this is to install the entire zip file to the Runtime you want to have that content in.

• These days I settle on generations and classifications. For instance, all gen4 stuff goes in one runtime. For me this works because I usually only use 1 or 2 gen figures at a time. I keep common things like scenes in a runtime. Since they can be used across all figures. I keep toon stuff in its own runtime.
    Since the library tabs are no longer a thing, I keep stuff together. For instance, for my gen4 runtime, in character, I keep the people, textures, characters, etc. In prop, I keep clothing. In poses I keep poses. Mostly because those work across all. unimesh. For toon, I keep star in her own character place, with her hair, clothing, poses, and textures in subdirectories.

I suppose it depends on your workflow. The other reason I keep them this way is rsyncing between machines, and backing up. I also keep the runtimes "compacted" by removing true duplicates and replacing with hardlinks. This should really only be done within a runtime, if you sync runtimes between machines. I keep a mirror of my runtimes on a private cloud server, which makes syncing between my machines easier.