No light masks in Superfly

• Light masks don't seem to work on lights with Superfly. Eg if you use the Poser studio_blinds light, the blinds effect is gone. disabling all other lights seems to confirm the fact. Anyone got a work around for Superfly please?

• Superfly is a physically correct renderer so sticking an actual physical (shadow casting) object between the light and your subject should work fine.

• Change the scale of the light to 1% and try again.

• Sorry to resurrect this thread - only just got a chance to try out your suggestions.
    Thank you for your comments about simply using a shadow casting object in the scene Pavig. That works just fine, but is less useful on a large scale scene with an infinite light. I could do it as a last resort though.

Piers, I tried rescaling the light scale to 1% no joy. Tried scaling the map size to 1% same result. Tried increasing the light intensity to 200% and changing attenuation to increase magnitude of effect. Still no effect. Any further thoughts? At this rate I'm gonna have to pay you tech support fees! :-)

0_1482507438093_FIREFLY BLINDS.jpg

Firefly render

0_1482507466842_SUPERFLY BLINDS.jpg

Superfly render - no effect

0_1482507505415_SUPERFLY SQUARE.jpg

Superfly with high res plane using checkerboard as trans map - works fine

0_1482507568438_LIGHT MASK.jpg

This is the position of the blinds light (plane included)

• Unfortunately my only experience is with Blender Cycles, which is rather obfuscated by the time it becomes superfly. All I know is that point, spot and sun lamps of size zero cast sharp shadows - any non-zero size turns the light into a 3D surface and softens shadows. I can't test in poser right now due to the holidays.

• Thank you anyway. If you do remember to give it a look after the break I'd really appreciate it!

• Putting a 'gel' plane in front of the light is an accurate reflection of real world and is a lot easier. If you really want to use the gel as a material on the light it is possible but finicky. You DO need to change the scale to 1%, but you also need a different material set up.

0_1482537688893_light mask 2.JPG

You need to fiddle with the location and scale parameters to get the image centred in the light field. It's a bit painful.

0_1482537774756_light mask 3.JPG

settings for the light. In this case pointing straight down and scaled at 1%.

0_1482537850446_light mask 1.jpg

The result... so it does work, but I'd say the only time this is the better way to go is in a dark room where light bleeding around the plane may be problematic. Otherwise (as in your test scene), the interposed plane is MUCH simpler and just as effective.

• @piersyf

Re: No light masks in Superfly

This does not work. I dont get the picture projected. Only a uniform blue colored light projection. The light is scaled to 1%.

0_1501570667281_temp1.JPG

• Well obviously it worked for me when I posted the image. I also said it was finicky and not the preferred option. It is much easier and more controllable to use an interposed gel plane. See here: https://forum.smithmicro.com/topic/2150/white-borders-in-aerearender-in-firefly/6.
    You might also note in the thread I have linked to that even when I have saved scenes where the gel on a light is used, it has not worked when re-opened.
    Either Poser's code changed during an SR or the process is inherently unstable.

• @piersyf Ah, ok. Thank you very much.. So I will try with the gel plane :-)

• @joker Your shader set-up is hooked slightly different and your Projection is set different to @piersyf so could that be why it's not giving the same result?

This is what I got using @piersyf 's settings on a spotlight but also with a slight change. I changed the Projection to Sphere on the ImageTexture node. I also changed the Scale on the Mapping node. The unattached image_map node shows the texture I used. The spotlight I used is at 100% scale, you can adjust the scale to adjust the shadow sharpness, smaller for sharper.

0_1501575127024_light_gel_settings.jpg

• @raven

Actually you may have identified why I have so much trouble with that set up... I'd have to experiment a bit, but it's possible the scale changed on the light I had saved which might explain why it didn't work when I reopened it. I have a render going at the moment, but I'll see if I can replicate what you've done and post back...

• OK, the scales had changed on my save. It does still work.
    I had been using the set up as a 'projector' light, so casting images like floor plans, and found positioning the image to be very hit and miss and painfully tedious. I ended up just using a gel plane.

Also, as you identified, lights aren't UV'd, so the UV channel won't work. I used the Normal channel.

I took a basic water image, used that attached to a point light, set the point light to constant, and rendered it in the default construct. Sorta works, but as you can imaging, the further from the light you get the more stretched, scaled and distorted the image gets. It also would have helped to use a seamless image...
    Also, it didn't matter what scale the light was set to, it rendered the same (scale DID have an impact with my 'projector' images). 0_1501582290178_underwater light.jpg

0_1501582307433_underwater light 2.jpg

• I had the same problem and came across this thread. Based on the suggestions here, I decided to experiment with the various lights behavior in SuperFly. In each test, I either used the following setup or connected "normal" directly to light "color".

Mat Nodes Setup
    Note, I used an equirectangular image, so I opted to use the EnvironmentTexture node rather than than ImageTexture. This gave the most reliable results, regardless of light angle.

All images rendered in Poser11 basic scene with a single test light. I didn't include images for Distant and Area lights, as they only render a solid color that appears to be based on the light's "normal".

Point Normal Test
    Point Normal Test

Point Image Test
    Point Image Test

Spot Normal Test1
    Spot Normal Test1

Spot Image Test1
    Spot Image Test1

Spot Normal Test2
    Spot Normal Test2

Spot Image Test2
    Spot Image Test2

Spot Object Test
    0_1513157653739_SFtest3.jpg

• Ironically needed this info again today. Thanks so much to Piers and semicharm for their invaluable input.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.