Manually Adding Folders to Poser?

• So I just added a Geometries folder to my Poser 11 Downloads directory. So far, that's all that I've added. It has tons of content, but I haven't added any Libraries or Textures folders, yet. If I drag and drop an OBJ from the Geometries folder into Poser UI, it loads fine, however, I'm not seeing anything in my Poser 11 Downloads runtime, within the Library browser. Is this normal? Am I missing something? Do I need the Libraries and Textures folders to be full, as well? Newbie newbie newbie

• @newoski The library folders can be placed almost wherever the heck you want. The Geometry and Texture folders need to be placed in the runtime that the library items are in. Those items will not be able to load properly if they can't find the base OBJ and texture files.

• @ghostship said in Manually Adding Folders to Poser?:

@newoski The library folders can be placed almost wherever the heck you want. The Geometry and Texture folders need to be placed in the runtime that the library items are in. Those items will not be able to load properly if they can't find the base OBJ and texture files.

So it needs, at minimum, the corresponding Libraries folder before they'll show up in the UI Library?

• @newoski Let me try to clear up my own confusing post. everything is stored in your runtime folder. You can have multiple runtimes/runtime folders. They need to be set up like the base runtime folder that comes with Poser. For example, I have my base runtime folder setup and Poser sees it and I can load all the base Poser content from it. I also have a folder labeled "Old Poser" and that has a runtime folder inside with all the library folders like you find in the base runtime, only this contains all my 3rd party purchased content. All the stuff that I've bought over the years from Daz and Rendo are in there. This runtime is kept on my F drive.

Once you've setup a second runtime (or any number of extra runtimes) you add them to your library by clicking on the bookshelf icon in the upper right of Poser's UI. It's right above the library window.

• Also: a runtime is inside a parent directory (ie: folder). The library picks up the name of the parent folder the name it displays in the GUI. At least on the Mac, the folders are not case sensitive to Poser (although, depending on the underlying filesystem, they may be case sensitive to the OS. Different convo, there.)
    ie:
    La Femme
    -- runtime

Will show in the Library as "La Femme", with the relevant sections from folders within runtime/Libraries
    The standard folders (those displayed as sections within the library GUI; from the Libraries folder inside runtime) are:
    Camera
    Character
    Face
    Hand
    Hair
    Light
    Materials
    Pose
    Props

Those Poser expects (inside runtime, with libraries), but does not display in the GUI:
    Geometries
    Textures
    Python (usually not in every runtime)
    Lipsync (not in anything other than the runtime supplied with Poser)
    Weblinks (not in anything other than the runtime supplied with Poser)

La Femme (ie: library name)
    -- Runtime
    ---- Geometries
    ---- Textures
    ---- Libraries
    ------ Character
    ------ Camera
    ------ Face
    ------ Hand
    ------ Hair
    ------ Light
    ------ Materials
    ------ Pose
    ------ Props

For some time, Poser hasn't cares what type of file is in each library category. You can have props, mats, poses, lights in characters and so on. I keep character morphs and textures for a figure in character with that figure. Much easier to find. All clothes are in props, with their textures.

Caveat, when saving from the GUI, you can only save to the correct category folder, afaik. That's how poser determines what type of file to save from your scene.

• @thoennes said in Manually Adding Folders to Poser?:

Also: a runtime is inside a parent directory (ie: folder). The library picks up the name of the parent folder the name it displays in the GUI. At least on the Mac, the folders are not case sensitive to Poser (although, depending on the underlying filesystem, they may be case sensitive to the OS. Different convo, there.)
    ie:
    La Femme
    -- runtime

Will show in the Library as "La Femme", with the relevant sections from folders within runtime/Libraries
    The standard folders (those displayed as sections within the library GUI; from the Libraries folder inside runtime) are:
    Camera
    Character
    Face
    Hand
    Hair
    Light
    Materials
    Pose
    Props

Those Poser expects (inside runtime, with libraries), but does not display in the GUI:
    Geometries
    Textures
    Python (usually not in every runtime)
    Lipsync (not in anything other than the runtime supplied with Poser)
    Weblinks (not in anything other than the runtime supplied with Poser)

La Femme (ie: library name)
    -- Runtime
    ---- Geometries
    ---- Textures
    ---- Libraries
    ------ Character
    ------ Camera
    ------ Face
    ------ Hand
    ------ Hair
    ------ Light
    ------ Materials
    ------ Pose
    ------ Props

For some time, Poser hasn't cares what type of file is in each library category. You can have props, mats, poses, lights in characters and so on. I keep character morphs and textures for a figure in character with that figure. Much easier to find. All clothes are in props, with their textures.

Caveat, when saving from the GUI, you can only save to the correct category folder, afaik. That's how poser determines what type of file to save from your scene.

Thank you!!!

• @newoski You're welcome. Hopefully, the info is right (I think it is) and made sense (it does to me, but then I don't make sense often to others, so I might not be a good judge of that :D )

• Poser is pretty good. I have Poser Pro 11.1 and I have added heaps of folders. The other day I thought I should make a runtime for my own creations. So I made a new folder called it my nickname, then created a "runtime" folder, then "libraries" folder, then "props" folder, each one level down. I added the runtime as per above posts and next time I accessed Poser, it had created all the other folders in their correct places.

• Yes, the only 2 folders you need to create are the main folder, called whatever you want, and a folder inside this called runtime. Once you get poser to add this library it adds the category folders (camera, character etc).Now providing the content zip file you want to install is properly set up (i.e. runtime is one of the first level of folders in the zip file.,) you can use the install from zip archive to install your content. Other than content bought from DAZ, purchased content is generally set up correctly, freebies are more variable.

• @j-naylor73 said in Manually Adding Folders to Poser?:

Yes, the only 2 folders you need to create are the main folder, called whatever you want, and a folder inside this called runtime. Once you get poser to add this library it adds the category folders (camera, character etc).Now providing the content zip file you want to install is properly set up (i.e. runtime is one of the first level of folders in the zip file.,) you can use the install from zip archive to install your content. Other than content bought from DAZ, purchased content is generally set up correctly, freebies are more variable.

That was it! I needed to create the folder literally named "runtime" Thanks!!