Poser 11: GPU rendering MUCH SLOWER than CPU rendering

• For some reason, my GPU rendering is MUCH slower than my CPU rendering.
    Shouldn't it be the other way around?
    This is my CPU: 2 x intel Xeon E5-2698 (2 x 10 Core Xeon with 3.7 Ghz all cores)
    This is my GPU: 2 x NVIDIA GTX 1080

The standard scene with Andy takes 7 seconds on the CPU ("Fast Preview"). RAM usage increases by 0.1 GB.
    The same scene takes 1 minute and 36 seconds with the GPU ("GPU very fast") AND doesn't finish. It only finishes about 55%, then stops with error message:
    "SuperFly: CUDA error: Out of memory in cuMemAlloc(&device_pointer, size)"
    Furthermore, the memory usage increases by 19.4 GB during rendering!

I don't know what's going on. Help please.

• @amanda Something is definitely wrong. My single gtx 980 renders the same scene in about 20 seconds. Poser reported that the render memory was 30MB. You're probably going to have to put in a support ticket to get a timely solution. You can start that here https://support.smithmicro.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2000491-how-to-create-a-support-account . Just in case it's an easy fix what version of Poser 11 are you running? I know that earlier versions of Poser 11 did not properly support the architecture of your video card, but that should have been fixed with the latest update.

• Poser Ambassadors

Do you have Branch Path Tracing off in the render settings when GPU rendering? Having Branch on with GPU will do basically what you described.

• @shvrdavid So I've read this a couple of times here (I don't yet have a CUDA card.) I thought I also read hear that before the last patch we were able to leave BPT checked while using GPU rendering. Is this true?

• @amanda

Hi there

I would suggest as above turn off Branch Path Tracing,this will slow down the renders and usually render will fail

Here are my render settings,try those and report back

alt text

Those settings are pretty basic,if it crash,please check Event Viewer and check if you there is no error with nvlddmkm and error ID 13,if yes then yours drivers crashed and recovered then I would try TDR Manipulator

http://www.wagnardmobile.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8

Please check if you have enabled Render in separate process too,if yes please untick this and try to render and at last what drivers are you using,new drivers are not the bet for "Pascal" GTX10xx series,I would try 373.06 those drivers works beautifully with Poser 11

Have look on this thread

https://forum.smithmicro.com/topic/950/gpu-rendering-problems-with-new-drivers-on-nvidia-1060-1070-and-1080-boards/10

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

• @Me195
    Thank you.
    Version 11.0.5.32974

@shvrdavid
    Yes, it is off. I just use the preset "GPU very fast". So yes.

@ghostship
    I can leave BPT on and render with my GPU. It is possible. Can't you?
    The result is a black screen then.

• @amanda
    @amanda said in Poser 11: GPU rendering MUCH SLOWER than CPU rendering:

@Me195
    Thank you.
    Version 11.0.5.32974

@shvrdavid
    Yes, it is off. I just use the preset "GPU very fast". So yes.

@ghostship
    I can leave BPT on and render with my GPU. It is possible. Can't you?
    The result is a black screen then.

You're welcome. I've been researching your problem and it turns out Jura was way ahead of me. You have the version of poser that should work with your video card however Nvidia has a bad habit of changing how things work and not telling software developers. Well it's not a bad habit I understand why they do it, but it's still frustrating. Jura's work around is the best and only solution out there right now. You may have to roll back your video drivers to a version that will work with poser's gpu rendering. Even if you do roll back your drivers you should still fill out the support ticket so the poser devs know about the problem and can patch poser if it's possible once nvidia updates their cuda software development tools. If for some reason rolling back your drivers does not help let me know and I'll keep looking. Sorry, I wish I could be more help.

• Thank you all.
    After installing NVIDIA driver 373.06 it works.

@Me195
    Why is NVIDIA doing this? I don't get it.
    And why isn't Poser 11 compatible with the newest NVIDIA driver?

• Poser Ambassadors

@amanda said in Poser 11: GPU rendering MUCH SLOWER than CPU rendering:

Thank you all.
    After installing NVIDIA driver 373.06 it works.

@Me195
    Why is NVIDIA doing this? I don't get it.
    And why isn't Poser 11 compatible with the newest NVIDIA driver?

Nvidia releases a new driver every other 2-3 weeks, usually with fixes of what they have broken the previous release of the driver.

The 1000 series needs a complete new CUDA release of which they have released the final a few weeks ago, so it will take some time to have stable drivers with full functionality

• @amanda When Nvidia releases a new card it uses backwards compatibility with the current CUDA format because it's stable(ish), and it will be instantly compatible with current software. As time goes on they want to use the CUDA format that was created and optimized for the new video card. As they update drivers the operation gets transferred over to the new format, and often that breaks backwards compatibility. So the new driver releases are a tug of war between the cards new operations and it's backwards compatibility. Nvidia likes to break both of them. Once they have it stable(ish) they will release an update to the CUDA development tools. They do this because if they update the development tools at the same time as the drivers there will be a hundred different versions of the the development tools. Consequently that would create a situation where there are a hundred different software companies with a hundred different versions of the CUDA development tools which would make troubleshooting the new card impossible. There would be no way to ensure that the software developers are all using the same version of the development tools. Unfortunately this means game developers and software developers like poser have to wait until nvidia releases an update to the CUDA development tools before it can be completely compatible. I hope my rambling answered your question.

• @Me195
    Yes, thanks. Just your first post seemed to me as if NVIDIA isn't communicating about what they are doing.

• @Me195
    I have a single 960 card at home and am wondering if all 900 series cards would use the same settings?
    If so, could you kindly post the settings you use please. At work I have a massive Quadro card in the
    graphics workstation, but am not so lucky (or rich) at home. I'd like to optimize the settings now that I'm
    all finished cleaning the digital world of Nazis (got sucked into the Wolfenstein games for a few months).
    Thanks.

• @pleasejustwork I apologize for the late response. Unfortunately there is no one optimal setting for rendering. The optimal renders settings change depending on what you have in the scene. For example with a gpu render if I have terradome 2 setup with a bunch of trees and grass with no people in it I can set the bucket size much higher than the recommended to get a significantly faster render time. If I add people to the scene I'll have to reduce the bucket size depending on how close the camera is to the people. I can get away with using branched path tracing renders to speed up the process most of the time, but the poser devs recommend against that with good reason. It's a quick way to get memory errors if your video card only has 4GB or less video ram. There is also nothing that can speed things up in the NVIDIA control panel either. With video games you can optimize games by forcing them to not to use settings that your video card does not support or force them to use setting that your card is optimized for. Sometimes it's the other way around by making your card use a setting other than the default to accommodate the game. With poser the only thing you can really affect with the NVIDIA control panel is the preview render and I've never seen any that would help it along only ones that would cause poser to crash. I feel your pain in the not rich department. I was very fortunate to acquire a 980 when I did. Also Wolfenstein game are great and very easy to get sucked into.

I hope in all of the answering questions you didn't ask that I managed to answer your question.