Preservation of this forum?

• Now that I can guess what the big outage of the forum web server may have related to: SmithMicro's sale of Poser to Renderosity, the biggest question that comes to mind is:

Will the incredibly useful information archived in this forum be preserved somewhere that it will remain accessible?

It would be excruciatingly painful to have this resource go the same way that RDNA's forums did.

Have there been discussions about transferring this forum's content to Rendo? What about all of the feature requests that went to Smith Micro - have they been forwarded with the rest of the product infrastructure?

Will any of the staff (both past and current) who work(ed) on and support(ed) the product continue their association?

• I was wondering the same stuff.

• That was my first thought when I just read a post at HW about the sale. No wonder nothing further has been done on Poser development!!

Hmmmm, I wonder if a Site Mail to Jenn Blake at R'osity will get me an answer to this question.

• @miss-b it's been so long since I regularly browsed or posted at Rendo that I'm struggling to find anything, let alone FAQ answers to how to configure one's profile to automatically append a signature to posts.

I'm so used to this forum now, that going back to Rendo is like scraping my face with a cheesegrater D-X

• @anomalaus Well, I'm a regular visitor and poster at Rosity, though mostly in the Blender forum, unless I have an answer for a n00b in one of the Community or Poser forums. I would totally hate it if they totally dumped all this great info without letting us preserve it somewhere.

Well, I just Site Mailed Jenn Blake at Rosity about this, so keep your fingers crossed folks, because I have no idea if this forum was even brought up by SM when negotiating with Rosity, so we'll see.

• @anomalaus

I'm part of the SMSI team and can provide a little more insight for you.

The forum outage that happened about a month ago wasn't related to this, we were doing server maintenance.

Regarding the preservation of this forum, the Poser section will remain read only for at least a few months. Long term, we're not sure at this time, we'll have to evaluate that later on. Transferring the content over to Rendo won't be practical since all forum platforms have different data schemes and we do not use the same platform as Rendo.

Regarding the feature requests, if you're referring to those sent through the my.smithmicro.com site (https://my.smithmicro.com/software-suggestions.html) - yes we will export those and provide them to Rendo. However, it's up to them to decide the direction of Poser.

Regarding who will continue working on Poser, that's something that we'll allow Renderosity to talk about if and when they want to. That said, our relationship with Renderosity is a good one and we're helping them get on their feet as the new developers of Poser.

• @davitfd said in Preservation of this forum?:

@anomalaus

Regarding the preservation of this forum, the Poser section will remain read only for at least a few months. Long term, we're not sure at this time, we'll have to evaluate that later on. Transferring the content over to Rendo won't be practical since all forum platforms have different data schemes and we do not use the same platform as Rendo.

Very true, but I'm pretty sure Bondware has more than one server, so it couldn't be that hard to move this forum if, of course, SM agrees with the use of this same setup, to one of their servers for us to continue to read and contribute to.

I definitely agree it wouldn't work well with the R'osity forums setup, and would probably get lost.

• @davitfd
    I take your 'for at least a few months. Long term, we're not sure at this time' as an anglosaxon evasive way to say: 'we will flip that switch once we have the idea it will not cause a big storm.'
    With all the codeheads around there will for sure be a way to convert and preserve.

• @miss-b I don't know. Seems it would be simpler for people to transfer their own information over to Renderosity to a new forum. You don't need permission to move your own posts.

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 Not sure how do-able it is, but maybe your content directory could serve as an archive, at least for the most important info here, before this forum is shut down (if that happens). Just an idea. There is likely an automated way to do that so no one has to copy it manually. Wow, talk about torture.

• @ambientshade I have to agree. If this were a new-ish forum with not that many posts, that's one thing, but we've been open for about 3 years now, and that's a huuuuuge amount of data to move. True we wouldn't necessarily have to move the Dawn, LaFemme, PE and other "Render" threads, as those can all go into the respective Renderosity Galleries, if they aren't already there, but the information threads are needed, and the only way to move them is "as-is" to a forum with the same setup.

It's definitely going to be interesting to see what R'osity does about it.

• @anomalaus Totally. I've grown to like the clean contemporary design, vs web 1.0 look, feel, and performance. To be honest (and I didn't say this) it's kind of like comparing their store experience to that other company. chaz or spaz or something like that.
    Last night I thought about a browser plugin, that allows a user to highlight something they think is useful, and right click to tag it that. It's dated and uploaded to a "useful bits" server. Which has a front end for searches and presentation. Just a thought in how to do it, without having to change web servers. Also it would work across websites.

• @davitfd Thanks for the info ^.^

• Each one of the threads can be dumped, even as text. The formatting is distinct enough that it could be parsed into something similar. The basic schema is trivial.

• I think I'll take a crack at one of the threads today. Once I can do one, I can probably do the others. Here's the thing: this is copyrighted stuff. While I can play around with it just to develop a POC, I can't make any of the info contained in here available anywhere without permission. I'm pretty sure SM has standard "terms of use" that says they own this data, and not the participants. That said, they could allow people the option to delete all their posts prior to giving this data to someone else.
    I'm just proofing the ability to retrieve and store the data in a simple schema, for archival and/or KB purposes.
    (images and links would be part of the POC)

• you could print out the threads you are interested in as pdf's which could then at some future date be uploaded to rendo as part of a library

• Poser Ambassadors

I have a folder of all the old threads from RDNA ... you can save all your Pages in the browser to your storage source. Per thread though.

• @boni Can you make one PDF from all those threads?

• OK, well I heard back from Jenn Blake, and this is what she said:

"We are still working with SM on some things...and I cannot know for sure if this will be part of it. I will look into it."

I know that doesn't necessarily mean they'll be able to move the forum, "as-is", to Bondware, but if she's willing to talk to them about it, maybe something can be done.

As far as I can see, if Bondware can get the same software SM has been using for this forum, then the only issue is the actual move from their server to one of Bondware's servers. I just don't know if someone at SM actually created the forum software they're using here. That might be an issue.

• @boni said in Preservation of this forum?:

I have a folder of all the old threads from RDNA ... you can save all your Pages in the browser to your storage source. Per thread though.

Interesting Boni, as I do have a group of threads bookmarked, so I might be able to at least stave those. I'm not sure I'd want to save every thread here, as that would definitely take a lot of effort.

• If you want to save your stuff from here, click on your profile icon, then your name, then in the drop down menu click on your rights and consent you can export your posts and your content.