Preservation of this forum?

• @miss-b I don't know. Seems it would be simpler for people to transfer their own information over to Renderosity to a new forum. You don't need permission to move your own posts.

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 Not sure how do-able it is, but maybe your content directory could serve as an archive, at least for the most important info here, before this forum is shut down (if that happens). Just an idea. There is likely an automated way to do that so no one has to copy it manually. Wow, talk about torture.

• @ambientshade I have to agree. If this were a new-ish forum with not that many posts, that's one thing, but we've been open for about 3 years now, and that's a huuuuuge amount of data to move. True we wouldn't necessarily have to move the Dawn, LaFemme, PE and other "Render" threads, as those can all go into the respective Renderosity Galleries, if they aren't already there, but the information threads are needed, and the only way to move them is "as-is" to a forum with the same setup.

It's definitely going to be interesting to see what R'osity does about it.

• @anomalaus Totally. I've grown to like the clean contemporary design, vs web 1.0 look, feel, and performance. To be honest (and I didn't say this) it's kind of like comparing their store experience to that other company. chaz or spaz or something like that.
    Last night I thought about a browser plugin, that allows a user to highlight something they think is useful, and right click to tag it that. It's dated and uploaded to a "useful bits" server. Which has a front end for searches and presentation. Just a thought in how to do it, without having to change web servers. Also it would work across websites.

• @davitfd Thanks for the info ^.^

• Each one of the threads can be dumped, even as text. The formatting is distinct enough that it could be parsed into something similar. The basic schema is trivial.

• I think I'll take a crack at one of the threads today. Once I can do one, I can probably do the others. Here's the thing: this is copyrighted stuff. While I can play around with it just to develop a POC, I can't make any of the info contained in here available anywhere without permission. I'm pretty sure SM has standard "terms of use" that says they own this data, and not the participants. That said, they could allow people the option to delete all their posts prior to giving this data to someone else.
    I'm just proofing the ability to retrieve and store the data in a simple schema, for archival and/or KB purposes.
    (images and links would be part of the POC)

• you could print out the threads you are interested in as pdf's which could then at some future date be uploaded to rendo as part of a library

• Poser Ambassadors

I have a folder of all the old threads from RDNA ... you can save all your Pages in the browser to your storage source. Per thread though.

• @boni Can you make one PDF from all those threads?

• OK, well I heard back from Jenn Blake, and this is what she said:

"We are still working with SM on some things...and I cannot know for sure if this will be part of it. I will look into it."

I know that doesn't necessarily mean they'll be able to move the forum, "as-is", to Bondware, but if she's willing to talk to them about it, maybe something can be done.

As far as I can see, if Bondware can get the same software SM has been using for this forum, then the only issue is the actual move from their server to one of Bondware's servers. I just don't know if someone at SM actually created the forum software they're using here. That might be an issue.

• @boni said in Preservation of this forum?:

I have a folder of all the old threads from RDNA ... you can save all your Pages in the browser to your storage source. Per thread though.

Interesting Boni, as I do have a group of threads bookmarked, so I might be able to at least stave those. I'm not sure I'd want to save every thread here, as that would definitely take a lot of effort.

• If you want to save your stuff from here, click on your profile icon, then your name, then in the drop down menu click on your rights and consent you can export your posts and your content.

• @miss-b Doesn't Bondware make forum software? I'd think they would be rather reluctant to spend money on buying one if they do.

• @eclark1849 I have no idea if Bondware has folks who create forum software. They're web hosts, and probably offer some pre-made site software for their clients to use, but whether they have a lot of clients who have forums, I have no idea, so don't know if they created the forum software R'osity uses, or they bought it from someone who specializes in that sort of thing.

• I understand the SM Forum API now; it's nicely clean and relatively easy to quickly dump all the threads out as JSON. A little JS in the browser console and it's done.
    Caveat: only threads I can see, of course.

• Well, I just saved about 18-20 single page threads I've had bookmarked for some time now. I have about 5 or 6 more longer threads to save, but they'll wait for another day.

• @ghostship It's a good question. If there is a way to make sure the wayback machine captures everything, I'd like to know.

• @maestro said in Preservation of this forum?:

@ghostship It's a good question. If there is a way to make sure the wayback machine captures everything, I'd like to know.

Now THAT would be nice, as I've used the Wayback Machine many times over the years, but yes, the site has to be set up so it can be captured by Wayback. Here's hoping it can.

• @miss-b apart from my own posts, which are easy to save from my profile, as noted, I'm struggling to save significant sections of the mega-multi-page pinned topics, where I want to capture a conversation and exchange of ideas with the associated images. Firefox doesn't want to save more that a page at a time, due to the way the forum presents a very long topic. Most painful.