Constant crashing

• I often get a program crash/lockup during the early stages of setup for a Superfly GPU render with my Titan X. The program currently shows the message Sample 0 Updating objects: Copying transformations to device. Task manager says the program is still running, and memory usage is 12.4GB, but processor usage is very low. It doesn't respond to a cancel click, nor does it advance.

I've had this happen on numerous occasions when switching to other activities (in this case listening media player and looking at Tumblr via Firefox).

Apart from the obvious, but unhelpful advice of "Don't switch tasks during a render" does anyone have any observations on why this may be occurring please?

• @matb I had the exact same problem. Sometimes it would happen even when I didn't switch between other activities. I read somewhere that the problem occurred with people who had tablets plugged in while using poser. I unplugged my tablet and it hasn't happened since. So I suppose the first question I should ask is do you have a tablet?

• @matb

Hi Mat

Please check if you are rendering with Branch Path Tracing, if yes please turn this off, you shouldn't use BPT with GPU at all

Second thing, please check if you have or rendering with ticked Render in separate process if yes try with unticked Render in separate process

Last bit check drivers, 373.06 works beautifully with Poser 11

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

• @Me195

Hi there

Please check if you have enabled HW acceleration in Chrome or in Firefox, if yes please turn off HW acceleration in those browsers

Usually I multitask when I render, mainly I've opened Foobar2000 and usually I browse internet during the rendering or have opened 3DS Max where I model few things or redo few things

Not sure why in yours case tablet should cause this, I would only suspect driver issue, is this tablet Apple device or is this Wacom tablet?

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

• @Me195 said in Constant crashing:

I read somewhere that the problem occurred with people who had tablets plugged in while using poser. I unplugged my tablet and it hasn't happened since. So I suppose the first question I should ask is do you have a tablet?

Thank you for your suggestion. No I do not.

• @jura11 Hi, thanks for your valuable suggestions. I'm not using branched path rendering but I do have hardware acceleration turned on in firefox. However, I have lots of memory, and GPU memory, so unless this is a GPU threading/allocation issue it would surprise me. I don't have render in separate process allocated.

ADDITIONAL INFO:

When I went to shut Poser down via Task Manager, windows reported that I could not because a dialogue was open. Although the window dioalogue remained open, a save before close dialogue had also opened offering me the chance to save a temp version of my scene. Is this a crash recovery mechanic I've been fortunate enough not to encounter before?

• @matb There was a thread about this error a while ago. I'm going to find it and see if there was something on there I forgot about. I seem to remember suggestions about disabling a setting in the preview render settings, but I'll get back to you once I've found something concrete.

• @Me195 Thank you.

• @jura11

@jura11 said in Constant crashing:

@Me195

Hi there

Please check if you have enabled HW acceleration in Chrome or in Firefox, if yes please turn off HW acceleration in those browsers

Usually I multitask when I render, mainly I've opened Foobar2000 and usually I browse internet during the rendering or have opened 3DS Max where I model few things or redo few things

Not sure why in yours case tablet should cause this, I would only suspect driver issue, is this tablet Apple device or is this Wacom tablet?

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

Hi Jura. The tablet is a Tursion which is a poor man's Wacom. I'm not sure if it was the tablet itself or if it was because I had it plugged into my monitor's usb hub. To make things even more confusing It was at the same time I got the windows 10 anniversary update that messed up a ton of my drivers. I had to reinstall drivers for nearly everything. I am going to retrace my steps to see if i can help matb out.

• @matb

Hi Mat

If you have enabled any kind of the HW acceleration in browser this can cause few issues down the lines if you multitask as GPU is sharing or must share memory plus power, I remember my friend have few issues with this as his GPU never hit boost clocks in games and we are looked on few things and nothing helped, then I disabled HW acceleration in Chrome and he hit boost clocks in every game

Can you try disable HW acceleration and try again to render

Other thing what can cause this is driver issue, you can have look on earlier drivers for GPU as those new drivers from Nvidia are not the best and they cause lots of issues too

Can you check too yours Event Viewer if there are any errors, if yes can you post what error is this

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

• @matb Ok I found the thread and there wasn't anything helpful in it. Apparently this problem stopped for most people when the new update came out for the current version of poser, but it didn't help me. Because I tend to go into every single detail and take forever to explain anything I'll give you the short answer as to what solved the problem for me up front. I ended up reinstalling poser with the most current installation. I'm sorry about the confusion with the tablet. That was actually a solution to a blue screen error I was receiving when using poser. I got the two confused because I got the idea to remove the tablet from that thread I mentioned above. I wish I could have come up with better advice than the generic reinstall advice, but that's what worked for me. I really hope it helps you because I remember how much that constant crashing drove me crazy.

• @Me195 Yup, crashed 3 or 4 times tonight, losing all my work each time. When you get up there with half a dozen clothed figures in a scene, it's too big to save every 2 minutes, and the loss of work is driving me nuts. It never used to crash before my Xeon.

• @matb

Hi Mat

Can you check Event Viewer what is causing the crash?

I'm suspecting NTDLL.DLL, this does happen me few times

Lastly not sure, just tonight I've tried to work on my older scene exported from 3DS Max and then I tried to quicy made few mats etc and tried to render and when I tried to render, Poser just crashed when started transferring vertices etc, not sure why, this scene hasn't been saved, but tried twice and twice I've suffered with that crashing, third time, saved the scene to be sure and tried again to copy mats and rework few quick mats and no crashing, just before the render I leaved for few secs idle by Poser and then tried to render, no issues at all

My scene is not big as yours, but try that, load and pose everything and before the render try leave Poser to idle by for few seconds and then render

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

• Thank you for your thoughts Jura. I'm not familiar with event viewer. Where do I find it? I typed it into the Poser manual and it doesn't appear. I searched through the Poser directory and it's not found. If you mean the log file, that is wiped when the program restarts.

I always import 3DS Max components as objs for future re-use, and have never had a problem with that previously. True, I have just started using 3DS Max 2016 as opposed to 2015 which I previously used, so it's possible that something has changed in the obj/Poser export settings. I NEVER found 3ds to be a stable format.

But to be clear, this is a scene that I've been working on for a minimum of several hours before rendering, and often successfully render on various settings half a dozen times before crashing. Sometimes just area selections on high quality, sometimes whole scene on lower. There's no rhyme or reason to the crashes so far as I can determine, except that they always APPEAR to occur when I SWITCH to Firefox. Clearly not doing that is one solution :-) but given the time it takes to render, it's hard to sit here idle. Incidentally, merely having Firefox open (even with multiple windows) is insufficient to make it crash.

• @matb

Hi Mat

Please check in Control Panel->Administrative Tools-> Event Viewer and check Window Logs->Application and this should help you pin point what is causing the crash,if its ntdll.dll then there is lots of what is causing that

Personally I'm using like 3DS MAX 2014 and 2016 and there are few issues which I like like in 2014 and 2016,but still I'm not sure if they're changed anything in OBJ

I personally export everything as FBX,most of them works from 3DS MAX although rotation of some OBJ is strange which is easy to sort

Regarding the Firefox I would try Chrome Mat,I use Chrome only and everything works and disable HW acceleration as first,you don't need that to have this enabled,when you want to use HW acceleration in some websites,but I don't use at all

I've always opened Chrome during the rendering and I've always opened multiple windows,usually 24 multiple windows as I post on several other forums like Overclock.net and Guru3D plus few car forums and some tabs I've opened always

Hope this helps and best of luck there

Thanks,Jura

• Okay, here's the most recent crash log:
    "Faulting application name: Poser.exe, version: 11.0.5.32974, time stamp: 0x57ab28c2
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.19018, time stamp: 0x560a0083
    Exception code: 0xc0000374
    Fault offset: 0x00000000000bffc2
    Faulting process id: 0x5eb0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d2502e2c398ce6
    Faulting application path: D:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser 11\Poser.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: d3b4de95-bc25-11e6-ae91-00025b00f6bc"

You're correct about it being the NTDLL but can you glean any more information from this? What does NTDLL mean?
    I have some technical reasons why I use Firefox for some things, Chrome for others and Explorer for still others. Suffice it to say, I won't be changing any time soon. So I may have to change my working practices. :-(

I use obj because that is the format I will need if I make commercial models so it's a good file size indicator.

• @matb

Hi Mat

What I know this ntdll.dll is error which can cause like corruption or graphic drivers too,sometimes updating the drivers can resolve this and sometimes this can cause SW itself

I've got several times this error mostly in Poser 2014 with update SR4 I think and due this I've used SR3.1 i think for most of my time and same this only happened only with exporting OBJ or importing the OBJ

Please have look on this my older thread on RDNA

http://forum.runtimedna.com/showthread.php?92610-Poser-Pro-2014-SR-4-Crashing

What drivers are you using Mat? I mean for graphic/GPU? Are you not using newest or are you using earlier drivers 373.06?

Did you tried to disable HW acceleration ?

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura