How can I disable Gamma correction in Superfly?

• here is a SF image. Gamma is on. looks correct. No funny colors.

0_1481006343860_Studio Test 3.jpg

• I don't understand. I just loaded Teen Josie with its standard settings. I changed nothing with her. Why is something wrong with her MAT then?

0_1481034016221_Gamma node.jpg

• @amanda

Hi Amanda

Try this script

http://snarlygribbly.org/snarlyspace/legacy/scenefixer.html

Its SceneFixer,have been using SceneFixer in P11 and works OK,just some features are not supported or translated as should,but works great with Gamma Correction

Yours render looks like is done with FireFly there

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

• @amanda

Hi Amanda

here are two quick renders in P11 with SuperFly

This one is stock,no postwork

alt text

This one is with postwork mostly only curves

alt text

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

• @amanda Here is waht is wrong with that texture the color chip in diffuse turns the skin color a shade of blue. the use of diffuse AND alt diffuse will make the colors off or make the figure glow and you don't want that. The ambience and translucence values will make the figure glow (emit light)for sure.

0_1481042615693_fix mat settings.jpg

• @amanda there is a python script that does much of this all in one swoop to all zones on a whole figure or prop it's called Scene Fixer. I don't have the link but someone should.

• Poser Ambassadors

@ghostship - just be aware if you set filtering to None you're turning off anti-aliasing. Might get away with it on a noisy jpg being used for diffuse but you don't want to do that on data maps especially height & normals. Will result in shading errors.

@amanda - that material is set up for older versions Poser, before we got good stuff like subsurface scattering, better lighting calculations, IDL & GC etc let alone Superfly. I'd suggest running Snarly's free EZSkin 3 script as the fastest way to get a better setup. You can change it all manually but it will take some time to do.

• Both scene fixer and ezskin3 are available here http://snarlygribbly.org/snarlyspace/index.html make sure you get ezskin3 older versions don't with for superfly textures. Also use scene fixer with caution. It wasn't written for poser 11 and has some problems with some of the changes made to the matroom. Save before using it.

• Thank you. What settings should I pick?
    0_1481086242802_What settings to pick.jpg

• 0_1481086580571_what-settings-to-pick.jpg

• I'm still not happy. I don't get it. Something is wrong. What is it?

Without gamma and without using scene fixer:
    0_1481174762612_NoGammaNoCorrection.png.jpg

With gamma and with using scene fixer:
    0_1481174796864_Gamma+Correction.jpg

The last image just looks so bad overall. No contrast, no saturation and green-grey skin...

• @amanda what does the material look like for the face now in the mat room for the second "bad" looking image?

• Without gamma and without using scene fixer:
    0_1481248793429_MAT no correction.jpg

With gamma and with using scene fixer:
    0_1481248822782_MAT correction.jpg

Without gamma and with using scene fixer:
    0_1481249051711_MAT no gamma correction but with using scene fixer.jpg

• @amanda Time to simplify. remove the stuff plugged into the alternate diffuse and alternate specular. turn diffuse to 1 and plug in the two maps as I have shown in my image. throw out/delete the other bits of rubbish in that shader that you unplug.

0_1481251303270_mat-correction.jpg

• Poser Ambassadors

This material you're dealing with is loaded with tricks that were added because we didn't have gamma correction and we didn't have scatter.

Both tricks involve the judicious and careful addition of extra light with carefully modulated colors. The tricks were designed specifically for an inaccurate, non-physical, non-linear rendering equation, which is all we had back then. Some of the pieces of this shader were designed and published by me and widely copied IN 2006 and after. The tricks were compensation for basically a broken renderer.

You should not be trying to use this shader today. You're now trying to use it with a correct renderer and it won't look right.

Imagine you learned to drive a broken car, that always turned less than you told it to. So you learned to get that car to go where you wanted by oversteering.

Then you get in a modern, new, correctly working car, and your oversteering sends you immediately off the road. That's what you're experiencing here.

In this case, you want a modern skin shader that goes with this modern renderer. I have designed newer shaders for this purpose and they're at your fingertips by running EZSkin.

• Poser Ambassadors

@ghostship said in How can I disable Gamma correction in Superfly?:

@amanda Time to simplify. remove the stuff plugged into the alternate diffuse and alternate specular. turn diffuse to 1 and plug in the two maps as I have shown in my image. throw out/delete the other bits of rubbish in that shader that you unplug.

0_1481251303270_mat-correction.jpg

It's not fair to call it rubbish. It was actually damn clever and useful TEN YEARS AGO.

• @bagginsbill lol did not mean to alienate anyone. Did not know if it was one of your shader things or one from a vendor that had gone astray.

• Poser Ambassadors

It's not exactly mine - the vendor has gone a bit astray.

The blue tint and then red ColorRamp modulated by a Diffuse node output was, at the time, a very useful invention for faking human subsurface scattering. However, the exact shades of dark red don't translate to a gamma correcting renderer, and the shades I used were much more red than here, which is in the yellow hue area. Which is kind of odd since this shader actually uses a scatter node with the blue tint, thus removing the proper scatter color and needing it to be added back. It is a bit wonky.

• Poser Ambassadors

Note that trying to use a Diffuse (lighting) node as modulator for the ColorRamp is totally illegal in Cycles/SuperFly and that whole section gets ignored by SuperFly.

• Is this correct?
    0_1481253330683_Is this correct.jpg

This is what I get now. The face skin looks too bright and pink.
    0_1481253350145_This is what I get now.jpg

It was better before:
    0_1481253379259_Face skin still was better before.jpg

This is what I get after disabling HSV Exponential:
    0_1481253721839_After disabling HSV Exponential in render settings.jpg