How do I make a SF shader to add gloss to lips and better eyes.

• Poser Ambassadors

@ghostship
    I'm set up like that already.
    I have the basic diffuse face map with natural lips on the base lips.
    I have red lipstick with your settings on the first new layer.
    I think my problem was my base map on the lips was too large and caused the line.
    I think I have it fixed now.
    Cheerio
    lululee

• @lululee Ok let me take a look. in the meantime here is what I do with hair. I made the color and bump maps in Photoshop and just change the basic color for what color hair I want. @Glitterati3D This works especially well for dark hair.

0_1480975157132_Hair.jpg

• @lululee ok. I think the problem is that you have put color on the second layer and it is not "see through." What I did with my setup is use the second layer for gloss only. It is completely transparent and colorless. leave your colors on the base and only use the top layer for gloss.

• @ghostship I'm sorry, but I don't think that either of those hairs look real or natural. SAV provides very specific hints and tips on all her hair to make them look natural. I would go back to her ReadMe on that hair and follow her directions.

I don't know why, but all the new hair lately looks like pasted on plastic or stringy, unwashed hair.

• @Glitterati3D with respect to SAV I think she suggested turning off light emitter for her hair models to speed up render times. This is fine for test renders but then the hair does not cast shadows or AO on itself or the surrounding skin on the figure. How do you set up hair in the mat room. I never use shaders set up by vendors. Shaders are the first thing I throw out. second thing is removing highlights and shadows from the texture maps. As I pointed out earlier I paint out the shadows that always plague the nostrils on character packs.

• @ghostship I use EZSkin hair shaders on hair for Superfly.
    0_1480978279351_DawnBalcony.jpg

• @ghostship Same hair using EZSkin3 in Superfly.
    0_1480979341517_Brikitta.jpg

• @Glitterati3D this one suffers the same problem that Lululee's did. check to see if the hair has cast shadows and light emitter checked. I have Aram hair by SAV and cast shadows is unchecked by default. Hair casts shadows so you need that checked or it don't look right.

• Here is one of the hair shaders I use. it is using using 3 diffuse textures, reflection, and 2 kinds of specular.

alt text

I use the color math and hsv sections to adjust the base color, other settings get tweaked to scene lighting.

This one is using the same setup, just different textures.

alt text

• Poser Ambassadors

@ghostship
    I am very pleased with this shader you made for me.
    I think with all of your help she has really improved.
    Here is a grainy render(I only let it go part way) but it does show the hair and I am pleased.
    I'll work on the lips next.
    Thanks so much for your help.
    Cheerio
    lululee
    0_1480982309612_Hair.png

• Poser Ambassadors

@lululee
    I do know I have pokethrough with the hair but that will be tweaked.
    Cheerio
    lululee

• Mixed Iris shader. Alt spec and alt diffuse colors basically min and max of base color of iris. The trick is to get a high contrast between them.

alt text

Eye white shader. Alt Spec color is 200,210,255

alt text

Cornea. You will have to adjust the pupil size accordingly, and cornea bulge may need adjusted as well

alt text

• Variation on eye to do bloodshot mix. Adjust the frequency in the wave box for the blurred parting line at the iris (it will be a very small adjustment numerically), and blending in the blender node if it isn't strong enough.

Alt spec color is the same as above.

alt text

• As far a skin goes, there are a lot of different ways to do skin. If you don't mind long renders, this one works good. It is sort of a fake of 3 layer skin, all in one layer.

The higher you can get away with subdividing the mesh, the better. And when doing so, remember to select the eyes, mouth parts, and do them separately if you need to save on memory used. If you need more color detail, play around with the settings or just expand on this.

alt text

• This is an amazing post! I'm really glad I found it.
    However, how in the world did you ever learn what all this stuff does in order to make these shaders?
    I've not been able to find anything that really explains the in's and out's of what all these values do. For instance, what do the Specularity or Diffuse settings do?
    How do you know what nodes to attach(and to where) to get an effect you want?

I love the versatility but get frustrated in trying to figure out how to achieve a certain look.

Again, love this post but really want to 'understand' it and not just copy settings.

• @Lotharen That is sort of where I'm at as well. This looks like a great set of shaders, but I doubt I would ever be able to use it. I simply do not understand what most of that is doing or why.