Best Laptops for using multiple graphic design software programs?

• Any advice on what "specific" laptops would best be able to support the most optimum use of multiple graphic design software programs, specifically Manga Studio Ex 5 Full Academic Version , Adobe Illustrator CC, and Sketchbook Pro 7. I would be editing/enhancing old pen/pencil drawings and creating new digital art for the web, t-shirts, poster prints, large canvas, and comic book/graphic novel work. Is it better to have a laptop with a duo vs quad core, gaming graphic card vs workstation graphic card. SSD vs HDD vs Hybrid, when using these progarms together . And if each program has different Open GL requirements ( 1.5, 2.0, & 4x), how do you know what computer can support all requirements. I've seen numerous tutorials using these "specific" programs and other multiples of software, but no info is giving on the "specific" kind of computer actually running these multiple graphic software programs. So if anyone has any advice, I would be very grateful. Also, I had a $1700 budget for a new laptop, but I can be a little flexible on that. Any advice?

• Poser Team

I use the ASUS ROG notebooks. This one is an I7, 16gig mem, boot ssd, 1 terabyte HDD, GTX with 2 gig dedicated mem, etc.

I runs everything I have fine.

Workstation graphics cards show very little advantage unless the program requires it or you are working on very heavy scenes.

As far as processors, get an I7 and call it a day.

SSD drives are faster than HDD drives, but not a requirement to run anything.

• @shvrdavid Thank you very much for your kind response shvrdavid. I actually just got a "Learn the programs first" response from "The Master of Graphics Cards". So its nice to hear from people that have positive feedback. I was actually looking at ASUS ROG GL505 Gamer Notebook and ASUS ROG G751JL-DS71 last week. I wasn't sure if a gaming laptop was the best or not. Do you think these would run Adobe Illustrator CC, Manga Studio Ex5 Full ACA Version, and Sketchbook Pro? I would only be using Manga Studio Ex 5 for the Sketch/Draw/Paint & Graphic Novel aspects. It does have 3D modeling, but I don't think I'm going to mess with that. No 3D rendering/animation? So does that make a difference. My research is confusing me. Gaming cards run on DirectX, and workstation cards use OpenGL. So does that definately mean if [Ai], Manga Studio & Sketchbook require Open GL 1.5 to 4x you have to find a laptop that matches up exactly . I haven't found one. But thank you again for you advice.

• Poser Team

The GL505 will run those programs fine. That is also a far better system than the 700 series.

As far as opengl goes, it is basically reverse compatible. It will run fine.

The GTX1080m is far faster than any comparable workstation card they put in a notebook. It will run circles around the older ones, even in notebook trim.

• Okay this is great feedback, I appreciate it. I hope you don't mind me asking so many (?s), I trying to absorb, process, and store as much new information as possible, before I spend any money, in hopes of enjoying as much of the actually creative process as possible. I keep going back to recheck the system req of Adobe Illustrator CC [Ai CC] and I've studied to the best of my abilities the online tutorials for Ai CC. If it req OpenGL 4x, and that relates to a workstation graphic card, which relates to after effects, 3D rendering/animation. I didn't see exactly what in Ai CC allows you to do after effect 3D rendering/animation. Plus Ai CC sys req says both Nvidia Geforce GTX series(4,5,6,7 &9xx, Titan and Nvidia Quadro K & M series are supported by windows GPU performance features in Ai CC. Is that what you meant by reverse compatible, or did I misunderstand? I will look up GTX1080m and try to become more educated as to how theses differents graphic cards, and all the components of computers actually contribute to the most optimum use of these graphic design programs. It's a lot to absorb, but I'll give it my best. And I do appreciate the advice you'v giving, and anymore you have to offer. Thank you.

• Poser Team

The current version of OpenGl is 4.5, and will run on just about any computer. The extensions used in a workstation card are to do things a bit faster. It is still opengl, but the video drivers handle some of the calls differently. Texturing the backside of a poly without duplicating it, etc.

If a video card in the computer only supports 4, all higher version calls are done on the CPU. Windows supports all versions of OpenGl, even if the system does not have a video card. It just wont be anywhere near as fast if it is CPU bound. Your cell phone can do OpenGl, but it obviously wont be as fast as an 8 core desktop with a newer GPU. OpenGl is basically a fall back system, if your video cards cant do it, the cpu can.

After Effects, etc, will be faster on a K6000 than a GTX1080, but the K6000 will cost substantially more, about 4000.00 more. It is far more cost effective to just double up on GTX cards, than to drop 4k plus on a video card if you want the same speed on a few of the many things that cards do. The advantage of a workstation card, usually ends at the next generation chip release.

As far as reverse compatibility, After Effects will run on a just about any system, even if it defaults to all CPU based calculations. OpenGl has been around for a while now, and is the most supported Graphics API going. Making hardware that would not run it, would put most companies out of business.

Just to sum it up, a GTX1080 is faster than a Titan on most benchmarks. Overclock the 1080 above the factory clocks, and an overclocked Titan is left in the dust. (Gtx 10 series cards all overclock based on temperature and load, and you can increase the overclock on many of them as well) The 10 series gpus are far more power efficient, and generate less heat than previous generation nvida gpus as well, another plus in a notebook.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.