Saving Genesis expressions

• Poser Ambassadors

@matb said in Saving Genesis expressions:

Thanks. So is the end result suitable for commercial distribution or does it do weird things?

I find it is a normal pose setting. I will use it on my products.
    The only problem is it writes it for everything in body so you need to remove everything that is 0 or unecessary because if you apply it to a
    morphed character it will turn the character to zero except for the exact expressions or morphs that you changed.
    Cheerio
    lululee
    Are you familiar with editing a pose file like this?
    Example:
    actor BODY:1
    {
    channels
    {
    valueParm SubDivisionLevel
    {
    keys
    {
    k 0 1.0
    }
    }
    targetGeom Wrist Thickness
    {
    keys
    {
    k 0 0.0
    }
    }
    targetGeom Waist Straightness
    {
    keys
    {
    k 0 0.0
    }
    }
    targetGeom Waist Size
    {
    keys
    {
    k 0 0.0
    }
    }
    targetGeom Waist Shape 2
    {
    keys
    {
    k 0 0.0
    }

• Dial Manager 2015 would likely be closer to what you want for exporting a pose/expression with specific dials. It is a for-sale product though.

Another method might be to temporarily write a Morph Injection, if you have Poser 11 Pro. Just bear with this...

Select the head or whatever, go to File, Export, Morph Injection. Select exactly which dials you want to export. It will create a pmd that you don't want but it also creates a pose file that might be easier to edit through. Just a thought.

• lulu - I have Poser File Editor, so editing a file manually is possible, although much more work than my project merits! :-)

Netherworks - I have no problem paying for a product that does what I want if it' s reasonably priced. I already use some of your tools, so one more would be just fine. Does dial manager work with non-standard dials? ie, parts that do not conform to M4/V4 design? Will the resulting file be compatibl;e with Poser AND Daz? What's a PMD?

• It works with any dials. it tries to resolve "Value Operations", which means it tries to find the master connections and write those dials. Since all the Genesis stuff is double-wired in Poser (head dials also exist in the body) it's probably best to turn that feature off and make very specific selections. It doesn't write any .ds, .dsa, .duf, and whatnot files for DAZ Studio. I put all my stuff at CP and Rendo on an "end of year" sale.

PMD is the morphs injection file introduced in Poser 6 ;)

• A search of "dial" "dial manager" "dialmanager" and "manager" returns nothing at either store. It does not show up in your DAZ Netherworks store either. Direct link please. Same price in both stores?

• Poser Ambassadors

@matb
    Here's the link to DialManager
    If we can tell it to write only non zero dials that would be great.
    Cheerio
    lululee
    http://www.contentparadise.com/productDetails.aspx?id=27423

• Poser Ambassadors

• Poser Ambassadors

@matb
    Renderosity link.
    I'm going to get it today.
    Hopefully netherworks will step in and tell us how to get it to write only non zero.
    Cheerio
    lululee
    https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/dial-manager-2015/116450/

• NIce one - cheers guys. Purchased.

• Poser Ambassadors

@matb
    Keep us posted as to how you like it.
    Cheerio
    lululee

• @lululee said in Saving Genesis expressions:

@matb
    Renderosity link.
    I'm going to get it today.
    Hopefully netherworks will step in and tell us how to get it to write only non zero.
    Cheerio
    lululee
    https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/dial-manager-2015/116450/

There are special keywords you can search for that are conditions. Works in any "search" function in the utility and the Filter line (the filter line lets you filter all the dials by characters or conditions).

For Parameters and Morphs that are above 0, you'd search for (pos) or (positive). Yes, you put those terms in parenthesis.

• @lululee said in Saving Genesis expressions:

@matb
    Keep us posted as to how you like it.

Will do. I have concerns that I'm going to have to manually specify every required parameter dial, and if so, how arduous that will be, but hopefully looking at Netherworks' comment, there may be a simple way to do so.

• @Netherworks Hey Nether - just to save me ages of reading, is there a non zero filter? I tried using (neg) and (pos) and it picked up dials outside the selected body part.

When I go to save a pose file, none of my filtered parts are preselected. Is there a quick way to transfer the filtered list to the save list?

• Non-zero filter: use (val)
    If you want only parmeters and morphs use (val), (dial)

No, filtered parts are not pre-selected but... If you select them in the dials list then go to write dial pose and right click the left side, there is an entry "Select Dials selected in Dial List" and that should checkmark them.

Keep in mind that when you get everything selected and you might be interested in doing this more than once on the same figure, you can create a Pose Preset that can be used later to select what you had checked before.

• @Netherworks That sounds exactly the ticket - thanks Nether!

• @matb Okay, really liking some of the design features in this program Nether, but I'm hitting two repeated problems with the Genesis male figure:
    I select the head then use the parm and vis filters to select only parameter dials
    Reset all dials to zero to create a reset pose
    Save that set for later use
    Open write pose and transfer dials

Write pose
    Receive following error
    "Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "D:\Poser\Poser 11\Runtime\Python\poserScripts\Netherworks\Dial Manager 2015_nwsdialmanager2015.py", line 1061, in NWS_Click
    AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'InternalName'"

Select smaller subset (expression dials only - receive no error)

Dial eyes closed to 1
    save pose file
    reset expression by undoing
    apply pose file
    Eyes "double closed" ie eyelid is closed too far
    Apply "broken" reset pose. Pose resets fine.

0_1483299541935_drropy eyes.jpg

• 2 is likely because there is internal wiring that it can't figure out, so you'd have to isolate the one dial that is doing both eyes closed and dial that to 1 and try saving the pose. If it still does it, there is something internal in the figure that is mucking it up and there isn't a resolution. Try to save with "Resolve Value Operations and Adjust Pose" unchecked.

• 1 I'm not really sure, again there are most certainly something odd going on in there if it is governed by DSON for Poser.

I don't have DSON for Poser installed. Which version of Genesis is this? If version 1 or 2, have you tried to instead just export the cr2 out of DAZ Studio and see if writing expressions works that way

• Thanks Nether - ever helpful! It's genesis 1. I haven't even moved onto 2 or 3 which I suspect are goimg to be considerably more problematic.

As for importing as CR2, I was trying to kee things as vanilla as possible because I want to produce commercial files and I don't want something that would be unreliable for other users. Would importing as a CR2 cause any such problems in your experience?

• I'll try to look at this soon and see if there's any relief, I just want to be realistic that there are some tricky thing in there with the DSON Poser.

I don't think there would be any difference in the internal names whether exported as a cr2 from DS or loaded in Poser via DSON. I'm still a solid Poser user but I'll be working more in DS so I'll see if there are any differences.

• I have installed the old genesis 1 package, Poser Genesis and the DSON.

Yeah, the rigging is working against us here, big time.

• Many, many dials are double-rigged. This might be an issue in itself. When Dial Manager reads the dials to write a pose, with the first option checked it normally should be able to resolve what is connected to what but it could be a "double child connection". Example is Eyes Closed drives a secondary dial and that secondary dial drives another secondary dial. So it doesn't see the second secondary dial driving the primary dial.
    • Another big issue is that even though there are 2 secondary dials affecting a primary dial, both secondary dials have the same exact "friendly" name, which should be illegal. So, for eyes closed, we have Eyes Closed, Eyes Closed Left, Eyes Closed Left and 2 right ones with the same external name. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me because 2 of those dials are hidden so it shouldn't matter what the external name is because the user won't see it normally anyways.
    • Regardless, the above is throwing off the Pose writing because it reads External Names and matches them that way. So, even if you only include visible dials, its going to try and select the invisible ones causing the same problem.
    • The error issue when everything is selected is some kind of odd actor or object in the DSON system that breaks the script but I already fixed that, maybe, locally. I'm not sure what is causing it.

I have a screen shot where you can get an idea of the issue. See the highlighted section where there are two sets of completely identical external names.0_1483388059073_Dial Manager Genesis.jpg